News David Teague - Training wheels OFF

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they count for little, as Teague has gone from low profile caretaker to supporter favourite. I agree it's important to keep the momentum going in the next 5 though.

Yep well the last 6 weeks have put him in the frame, you’re right. If we carry our form through I think he’s home.

Let's not create multiple narratives, Bolton was sacked due to the pressure the club was under via the media, club twitched, they needed a pressure release and the coach was the easiest valve.

While the GWS & Saints games were poor, if we had beaten Essendon and started winning more games, Bolton would still have seen out the season

No, Bolton was sacked because he wasn't doing his job properly. The Club didn't twitch, they made the right decision.

We were never beating Essendon. Look at the effort the players put in in that game. It was over.

And that is why I say a coach is overvalued, one game, let alone a season shouldn't determine a decision

Is Fagan better than 16 other coaches in the league? Does that also mean that Teague should be rated as high given we beat the Lions? Poor Clarkson, he must be rated outside the top 8

It is a sum of the parts game but someone has to pull the strings.

In favour of your argument - Was it Hardwick that changed the 2017 Richmond around, or was it Balme?
I'd side on Balme massaging the whole to reinvigorate an environment that may not have been able to do it without him.
Now that's intangible, but it just seemed to me that everyone walked taller when he came on board.

No, Bolton was sacked because he wasn't doing his job properly. The Club didn't twitch, they made the right decision.

We were never beating Essendon. Look at the effort the players put in in that game. It was over.

What do you think his job was, priming the side to win games short term while ignoring the long term strategy?

So if we beat Essendon, Bolton would still have been sacked?

I really hope Teague doesn't suffer from players not performing before the end of the season, the about face on this board will truly be interesting

In favour of your argument - Was it Hardwick that changed the 2017 Richmond around, or was it Balme?
I'd side on Balme massaging the whole to reinvigorate an environment that may not have been able to do it without him.
Now that's intangible, but it just seemed to me that everyone walked taller when he came on board.

Balme, and Caracella.
But Hardwick knew enough to let these changes/adjustments happen.

It is a sum of the parts game but someone has to pull the strings.

Blame has always had a positive effect, no matter where he was stationed.

Wondering what changed with Buckley, or the other extreme, Goodwin. Is it a maturing side, relatively free of injuries, or is it the coach

For me, the squad

What do you think his job was, priming the side to win games short term while ignoring the long term strategy?

I really hope Teague doesn't suffer from players not performing before the end of the season, the about face on this board will truly be interesting

His job was certainly not to go 1-11.
It's a false dichotomy to think that winning is a short term gain at the expense of long term development. And it also underestimates where our list is at. Last year was a write-off. Our base for this season was not 2 wins.
Bolton had issues through last year. He was given feedback (remember the review?), and he didn't take it on board.

Again, we were never beating Essendon. The players were done.

Teague has won 4 from his first 6. If Bolts won 4 of the first 6 this year, as he should have, he'd still be in the job.
I really liked Bolts. I think he did great things for the Club in his first 2 years, but it was the right decision (and timing) to move him on.

Balme, and Caracella.
But Hardwick knew enough to let these changes/adjustments happen.

Just as well for him, before he was shown the door also. Sometimes it's good to listen and even let go.
Have to trust and empower others around you or else you'll likely receive diminishing efforts and end up shouldering the whole load.....No names.

Blame has always had a positive effect, no matter where he was stationed.
Wondering what changed with Buckley, or the other extreme, Goodwin. Is it a maturing side, relatively free of injuries, or is it the coach
For me, the squad

He sure has. Proof/pudding and all that stuff. :)

It's probably not exclusively one or the other and if one was to evaluate things, you may find apportioning different values to different teams.
How do you value the quality of the squad GWS had in 2016 vs others, yet they didn't even make the Grand Final.

He sure has. Proof/pudding and all that stuff. :)

It's probably not exclusively one or the other and if one was to evaluate things, you may find apportioning different values to different teams.
How do you value the quality of the squad GWS had in 2016 vs others, yet they didn't even make the Grand Final.

I guess they are still in their window, just as it took Hardwick to finally have a side ready to click on that one finals campaign, just like Beveridge

Arr0w You seem to keep raising this 'Long Term Strategy' and I keep replying to it.

Can you tell me how you saw this vision as being a good one in any way, shape or form?

It didn't look to me that players were developing the way they should.
It didn't look to me at times that players wanted to be on the field - Cripps included.
It didn't look to me that the preached 'unity' was there at all and the net result proved that to be the case.

It did though look that the stuffing was taken out of the club.
It's obvious that the CEO's job was made so much more difficult for a club showing themselves as being bereft of any confidence.
It's obvious SOS's efforts were brought into question for the way the team was performing.

I could keep going, but exactly what future was Bolton playing for and was it even a good future? Was it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arr0w You seem to keep raising this 'Long Term Strategy' and I keep replying to it.

Can you tell me how you saw this vision as being a good one in any way, shape or form?

It didn't look to me at times that players wanted to be on the field - Cripps included.
It didn't look to me that the preached 'unity' was there at all and the net result proved that to be the case.

It's obvious that the CEO's job was made so much more difficult for a club showing themselves as being bereft of any confidence.
It's obvious SOS's efforts were brought into question for the way the team was performing.

I could keep going, but exactly what future was Bolton playing for and was it even a good future? Was it?
I think Bolts did a lot of things. Some good, some bad. He's been cut for the bad, but we can still learn from those mistakes. We should rightly also celebrate the good.

Playing the kids in important roles I think will have long term benefits.

Harks, I too have responded to this type of post countless times.

Generally players don't enjoy a defensive gameplan, but when you have so many young players, that come from free flowing junior programs, it is the most vital component, as an education base for the next level. People seem to forget that I too was calling for a little more natural flair and more senior bodies around the coalface, but I do understand why Bolton was staunch in his methods and theories

Rather than focusing on just our list/coach, compare it to other lists/coaches

In summary, whether a coach has been sacked (Leppitsch, McCarthy, Schwabb) or not (Thompson, Buckley, Hardwick), that rebuilding list will eventually always rise, if the list strategy is a solid one, development is inclusive, waiting for a maturing list

Happy for anyone to prove otherwise

Honestly sick of the vultures at a carcass thing.

All this cleverdick rubbish from a rear view mirror. It's really not nice.

What's the harm in discussion? Seriously, what are people afraid of?
I haven't noticed many rubbishing Bolton, but just discussing his situation.
This is not rear view mirror stuff and sometimes something has to come about before it can be discussed.

If one doesn't like it, don't get involved and if post has to come to the fore, let's make it about the topic. That's fair enough. No?

I think the quality of the list relative to opponent is the most enduring and meaningful marker for expected performance. Coaching is about putting together a game plan that can be executed by the list of players you have.

The new coach 'bounce' is a phenomenon that people refer to - how many games does this 'bounce' last for and against what type of opponent list?

Regarding Bolton - results do speak to his inability to get a win - especially considering the outs that Teague was able to compensate for and still get a win from a side which (really) has no idea how to win.

Getting some belief into the team is a fantastic improvement - those come from behind fight backs are a new phenomenon for Carlton supporters - just as playing poorly and still winning was against Suns.

A pity Cripps/Kreuzer seem to be less than 100% going into these final games - just underlines the challenge ahead.

The rebuild is far from over though and Carlton needs to find 2-3 developed players to just plug some obvious gaps - Marchbank/Williamson/Docherty are not certyain long term players anymore - and Simpson/Thomas/Kreuzer/Murphy aren't getting any younger.

We are a middling side as far as list goes - starting to perform as a middling side will.

I just got tired of Bolton's whole greenshoots and development spill which he would deliver after every loss. Teague hasn't spouted any of that, it's all been about, we are here to win games of footy.

Winning games is the best development method. It's not a surprise that LOB, SPS and Kennedy are all of a sudden looking much better.

Generally players don't enjoy a defensive gameplan, but when you have so many young players, that come from free flowing junior programs, it is the most vital component, as an education base for the next level. People seem to forget that I too was calling for a little more natural flair and more senior bodies around the coalface, but I do understand why Bolton was staunch in his methods and theories

In summary, whether a coach has been sacked (Leppitsch, McCarthy, Schwabb) or not (Thompson, Buckley, Hardwick), that rebuilding list will eventually always rise, if the list strategy is a solid one, development is inclusive, waiting for a maturing list

I'm sorry as I must have missed your posts in relation to the query, so thanks for taking the time out.
It's just that I keep seeing this term used without any substance behind it, as though saying 'playing for the future' somehow holds up credit on its own.

Of course defence is important, as is attack.
I for one aren't as pleased as others that ECurnow and Murphy are being used through the centre, as much as they have been used in recent weeks.
I still want to see Dow, Fisher and SPS be given midfield minutes when they're able to do so.
Dow to me was bashed up early and along with a limited pre-season, the overuse of him through the centre was wrong, but let's not cut out our future mids altogether...unless of course...they've just had enough for the year.

Anyway, it's good to finally see us mixing things up and for now at least, it's paying off for the club and Liddle can soon proudly announce that we've hit the 63K membership mark for the year.

People seem to forget that I too was calling for a little more natural flair and more senior bodies around the coalface, but I do understand why Bolton was staunch in his methods and theories

And this was all that was needed, minor adjustments.

Teague hasn't made wholesale changes, just a few adjustments. But the results are poles apart.

What's the harm in discussion? Seriously, what are people afraid of?
I haven't noticed many rubbishing Bolton, but just discussing his situation.
This is not rear view mirror stuff and sometimes something has to come about before it can be discussed.

If one doesn't like it, don't get involved and if post has to come to the fore, let's make it about the topic. That's fair enough. No?

It's not rear view mirror when some of us were being realist about what was the performance evidenced produced whilst others on here were being overly optimistic.

Glass half full versus half empty. I'm with you it's a forum for discussion.

Bolton is gone, sacked. Its a Fact. He is like all those other "development" coaches... Neeld, Leppa, McCartney, Primus... youncan defend and debate by he got 3.5years and we moved from last to last.

Its a wins and losses business. Wins build confidence and belief.

Teague looks the goods, has players playing to their strengths, in positions that allow those strengths to come to the fore.

Time to move on here from Bolton era. He wasn't all bad but he wasn't all good either

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Bolts was staunch, but you’d think after 4 wins from 43 that he’d realize things were clearly not working and not good for anyone.

This brighter future bolts was supposedly building to probably would of seen Murph, Daisy and Simmo all retire by the end of this year, young guns leaving and no one wanting to join us.

I for one aren't as pleased as others that ECurnow and Murphy are being used through the centre, as much as they have been used in recent weeks.
I still want to see Dow, Fisher and SPS be given midfield minutes when they're able to do so.

I get this, although I think all 5 of those players are different cases, not a collective.
Ed should have been playing in the guts all year. He's a big body, experienced, can tag, can find the ball.
Dow is purely a fitness issue. I don't think he's been managed as well as possible.
Part of Murphy's move back into the guts has been due to Cripps missing.
I'm not sure that either Fisher or Samo will be full-time centre square players. I think both will rotate through there, but also spend time on the flanks.

As a meaningless point of interest our last 2 experienced coaches sacked have been slayed on this board, our last 2 inexperienced coaches sacked have largely been defended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back