News David Teague - Training wheels OFF

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting choice, our forwardline is an absolute shambles.

Still, good luck and all the best David!

Teague's was excellent as a forwards coach with Adelaide, terrific assistant at the Eagles and took a very average Northern Bullants side to consecutive Grand Finals. He was the entire reason why McGovern came to Carlton after working with him at Adelaide.

Being a forwards coach at Carlton would be an impossible job given the s**t that comes into the F50. How do you coach to that?

Let's see if David has anything different up his sleeve and can put a alternative structure/plan together, especially with the forwards. That is all I want to see from DT.

Thinking back to something that came out of Richmond's flag year - recall some of their players crediting a change in mindset from playing set roles, to each player doing what they do well. If their strength was chasing and tackling, do that well. If their strength was taking big marks, do that well. If their strength was running their opponent ragged, do that well. I think that needs to be where we're at for a while - let the players re-learn what weapons that have that make them an AFL footballer, and then structure the 22 in a way that best uses those weapons.

it would be a lot easier to maximise our players' strengths than minimise their weaknesses...... ;)

Let's see if David has anything different up his sleeve and can put a alternative structure/plan together, especially with the forwards. That is all I want to see from DT.

He can structure all he likes but if the skills are poor won’t matter at all.

I want DT to focus on that for the next three months. Not the gameplan. For that he can just let them run and play with effort. I want him to focus on the basics, tackling, kicking and marking.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Teague's was excellent as a forwards coach with Adelaide, terrific assistant at the Eagles and took a very average Northern Bullants side to consecutive Grand Finals. He was the entire reason why McGovern came to Carlton after working with him at Adelaide.

Being a forwards coach at Carlton would be an impossible job given the **** that comes into the F50. How do you coach to that?
The structure has been most of the problem tbf. The players are never where they need to be. I've wondered on here a few times as to how much of that was actually Teague and how much was Bolton emphasising his defensive style. We'll find out soon I suppose!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW the crows really felt Teague's departure and I think he will be a good interim coach. Depending on who is available he could even become your next permanent coach- has some serious footy smarts about him. Good luck to him for the rest of the year, I like hanging it on Carlton with good banter between mates and family who support you but I hope you guys turn it around in the near future.

Interesting choice, our forwardline is an absolute shambles.

Still, good luck and all the best David!
I personally thought Teague can coach given when he was at the Crows our forward line functioned insanely well, soon as he left things changed. It's always hard to know because of what's happening up the ground with ball movement, pressure etc. Then there's the players experience level and what the overall game plan is. Will be interesting to see how you go with him for half a season.

Being a forwards coach at Carlton would be an impossible job given the **** that comes into the F50. How do you coach to that?
Well on Sunday you could have started with "Charlie and Harry start in the forward 50 but apart and remember to keep returning there, when one leads/leaves the other stays in the 50"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back