News David Teague - Training wheels OFF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nori

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
As far as I can tell only Clarkson or Lyon would have the reputations to slot straight in and personally I don't want either of them.

If both of these guys are unavailable (as stated) then they'll have to look at assistants, or Brad Scott.

So I reckon we have even more reason to cheer the Blues on for the rest of this season. Go the Blues / Teaguey!

AB_Blue

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 26, 2011
"South of the border"
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
if we dont win games the kids arent going to want to stick around, the members jump off, the sponsors drop off, we keep getting low paying crappy timeslots.

See this is why I didn’t fully get Bolton’s coaching.

Yes he was playing he long game but was
often quoted as saying we are a club in a hurry.

Trying to push kids into roles they weren’t ready for is basically calling the AFL side a development team.

Playing Ed in a pocket and Murphy on a wing was just silly. Old dogs don’t learn new tricks...

Sure play the kids but play the adults too...

Teague has got the balance absolutely perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Finding the right person to coach is and building our profile is a hard mix to get right because I just have a gut feeling that the senior coach can't bring both.

I think we need a young guy who isn't a know all, I think all the best coaches are confident in what they want but they are open to listen to those around them, take advice and are open to new ideas. Rumours are that Bolton wasn't and perhaps this is what brought him undone. I think a lot of older coaches who win flags and have been in the game may become to stubborn and close minded.

You want a senior coach who uses his assistants well and listens to them and filters out the good calls from the bad and passes that on. I've seen Teague listening to people in the coaches box and that's a good sign. I've read about how Clarkson let the assistants take training and take a lot of the control.

If you have a coach who doesn't have too many opinions and doesn't know so much or feel like they do then they will guide the players without trying to control them too much.

Perhaps that's why a lot of gun coaches were ordinary low profile players.

Teague is going alright, he fits this bill and he's coaching without fear, he's trying things and making changes and moves and a lot of them are working and to me this is a good sign. He's probably letting the players play a bit too which you have to do to an extent.

I just feel a guy like this could be good for us. Get in one or two former superstars in to work with him and see.

I just hope we finish off the season and finish off really strongly and Teague's results force us to go with him.

As for other candidates...

Roos - No, noway. Maybe in a mentor role but not a chance. Been out of the game far too long and doesn't have the desire.

Lyon - Been in the game for a really long time but his results have been rather mediocre. Might be in that category now that I have talked about.

Clarkson - If we were going for an older coach he is the one but like with Lyon, maybe he would be too opinionated. The idea he is a supercoach is crazy, he was good but he had a super super team. Look at where they are now, that is how important and how much influence a coach has when he doesn't have the players. Would lift profile though.

Scott - Could be alright but was sacked for a reason and his team is winning now he has gone which suggests maybe he had gone stale. Was in it for ages without much success. His good seasons were a long time ago. Would likely make a good assistant though.

Ratten - Didn't go well with us but that was more about us than him. Proven to be a terrific assistant. He might go alright but would need to prove he will listen to his assistants and manage people well. Probably a good option really.

Who knows if those guys are even interested. I just think we have a list that's structured a bit differently, it's rather tall. I think we need a coach who will listen, think outside the box a bit and will be really open minded. I know we need profile but I think an older coach who's mind about how a team should play is already made up might not be good.

kingkingston

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Houston Rockets
Teague is just letting them play. I doubt this is the way he would coach them if he had the full time job. This is why caretaker coaches get so much credit when they get wins. Most of the time they just let the players prove themself and back them in. We have been lucky to come back from behind in our wins in 2 of the past three games but the thought on teague would be much different if we never came back in those games

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Teague is just letting them play. I doubt this is the way he would coach them if he had the full time job. This is why caretaker coaches get so much credit when they get wins. Most of the time they just let the players prove themself and back them in. We have been lucky to come back from behind in our wins in 2 of the past three games but the thought on teague would be much different if we never came back in those games

I think this is really underplaying his coaching.

JEZZAS BLUES

Team Captain
Dec 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool Sturt
bolton's coaching the long game was always going to test, push and ultimately break the nerve of stakeholders - just as a government will always struggle to propose, sell and implement any big infrastructure policy that runs longer than a term of government - it leads to a short-sighted, short-term mentality - bolts fell on his sword the moment he played the long suit and we should thank him all the way to 17.........huge professional sacrifice by the man.......
Absolutely ..Top post thy...

kingkingston

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Houston Rockets
I think this is really underplaying his coaching.
i'm not under playing it at all, we have been close in a lot of games this season. Just been a bit lucky to comeback in the last three games and win 2 of them. We did it with Bolts just couldn't get over the line, 6 losses under 20 points is heart breaking and really if we split them, we would be in with a chance at finals.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
i'm not under playing it at all, we have been close in a lot of games this season. Just been a bit lucky to comeback in the last three games and win 2 of them. We did it with Bolts just couldn't get over the line, 6 losses under 20 points is heart breaking and really if we split them, we would be in with a chance at finals.

Maybe Teague is too relaxed. These first quarters are killing me :p

Pretty sure I heard Hutchy on FC say that North are interested in Teague as well. :huh: Not hard to read that Clarko may decide to move on due to 'directional differences' at years end.
The soup plots!
Would not be easy watching Teaguey go somewhere else after seeing how capable he is.

Doro

Collective Narcissism Support Group
Sep 22, 2011
62 West Wallaby St.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers
Pretty sure I heard Hutchy on FC say that North are interested in Teague as well. :huh: Not hard to read that Clarko may decide to move on due to 'directional differences' at years end.
The soup plots!
Would not be easy watching Teaguey go somewhere else after seeing how capable he is.

You would think Rhyce Shaw or Longmire for North.

djholmes

All Australian
Oct 9, 2007
Tasmania
AFL Club
Carlton
Brendan Bolton never played AFL and thus didn't have the respect of the players. In addition, Brendan Bolton was way to rehearsed. Nothing came naturally and it was kind of fake.

His methods were not organic and didn't come from the heart. He had loss the players.

Teague is different given that everything he does seems organic and not rehearsed like Bolton was.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Brendan Bolton never played AFL and thus didn't have the respect of the players. In addition, Brendan Bolton was way to rehearsed. Nothing came naturally and it was kind of fake.

His methods were not organic and didn't come from the heart. He had loss the players.

Teague is different given that everything he does seems organic and not rehearsed like Bolton was.

Source?

kingkingston

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Houston Rockets

playing AFL doesn't mean you will be a great coach..........

smashbox gill

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2008
Donnie
AFL Club
Carlton
I think the way Teague is going it’s effectively ruled a line through Voss and Scott (also with the way north are playing since he left)

Clarkson and Lyon would still be considered but maybe Teague with some highly rated assistants might be the go.

Leigh Tudor, Peter Sumich, Brent Montgomery, Blake Caracella etc

Bobmonkey

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
The reason we came back in those games is due to structural changes Teague made to the team mid game.
To say that the players are the sole reason for those wins severely undersells Teagues value in these games.

kingkingston

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Houston Rockets
The reason we came back in those games is due to structural changes Teague made to the team mid game.
To say that the players are the sole reason for those wins severely undersells Teagues value in these games.
not under selling anything. When a coach gets sacked, it is like a warning to the players that they could be next. We have been in a lot of positions to win games this season but haven't had much luck in the close ones until recently. People just need to remember he is interim coach and i hope the club does a good search at the end of the season and picks the right coach. I have seen it in the past where coaches got the job off the interim part and when they were in the job for good, they went no good as coach. Matthew Primus is a prime example

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
playing AFL doesn't mean you will be a great coach..........
No it doesnt but if you have then perhaps it commands a higher level of respect than a coach that hasn't will get. Unequivocally. You could say thats unfair but it's just the way it is.
Add a flag as a player to the coaches cv and then in the trenches he has more chance of getting the required response because he can say trust me I've been there and done that.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

What!

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton

Bull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back