Universal Love David Teague

Remove this Banner Ad

Teague needs to do 7 things.
1) Put a line through senior players that can't take us to finals eg murphy casboult
2) Replace his assistants.
3) Play a few kids who have not had a good go. The supporters will accept it eg cotrell, stocker, philp. Plan to blood cottrel and Durdin
4) Stop playing Players out of position eg setters and sps.
5) Put it on Cripps. If he is not invested drop him
6) Select players for their strengths. Stop worrying about what they can't do. Kennedy and Cottrel
7) Stop using media speak

I really really want to see Teague, raise the standards of our football club at the selection table, prioritise actual output compared to possible output.

If Cas isn’t fit, drop him.
If you think Kennedy/Cuningham would have a greater output than Murphy, swap them.
If you think Stocker/Cottrell would have better output than Plow, then swap them.

Dont sit there again after a loss and bemoan the lack of intensity or pressure, because you keep picking the players who don’t show a desire to tackle or apply pressure.

A note for all MC, stop picking sore and underdone players

Hi and welcome.
That is a pretty damn good debut post, and its hard to disagree with most of it.

Do not think things are as bad as they seem,We have an easy game next week for the boys to regroup and focus on, get some confidence back.

Sacking coaches every 3 years or so has been a disaster for this club, need to stick it out with Teague for at least 1 more season after this.

Club and its players need stability and continuity most of all.
An easy game? That's part of the issue, playing to the opposition status, not dictating terms. This is a very even competition except possibly North. Satisfied with competing with Richmond?
Underestimating Collingwood and playing conditionally?
Freo are undermanned, don't travel well we have to win surely. That attitude will get us beaten. We have to dictate our terms with physicality and execution or anyone will beat us.

You’re treating each season in isolation.

Well yeah. Anyone who is advocating for the club to sack Teague on the back of what we saw last season is out of their mind.

The simple fact is this thread doesn't get bumped if we're anything other than 0-2 on the season. I'll give the benefit of the doubt to those advocating for his position to come under question and say that treating each season in isolation is exactly what they're doing too.

What has changed from last year?

Ultimately nothing as we started 0-2 then and we're 0-2 now. I think we can do better though than jump to absurd conclusions on the back of a limited sample size.

Who has improved?

Off the top off my head I can make very strong cases for...

McKay
Walsh
Pittonet
Gibbons

I'd argue Dow and even SPS have improved on last year too.

But again...2 rounds in.

Saad has been a good addition, Walsh is a freak and McKay looks better. Nobody else has improved by the looks of it

Look harder.

You know what I think of coaches

Anyway, finally someone is close to pointing out 1 of our areas that need improvement quickly and you have sort of eluded to it

Too long to go into at the moment, but, we are 3 separate groups, rather than a flowing, connecting unit.

Again, I believe this is due to this 5th gear gameplan Teague wants to adopt
alluded

Look harder.
You named two players that I acknowledged.

In what way has SPS improved?

Dow has been poor in the two games

Gibbons played well last night but he has a habit of popping up with a good game now and then. I’ll give you that one

Pittonet got monstered last night, odd call

In what way has SPS improved?

Still has a long way to go but I don't think he's been anywhere near as bad as many are suggesting.

He was very reasonable last night. Yet people are so fixed in their view on him that they can't even acknowledge it.

Dow has been poor in the two games

And yet better than he was last season when he returned from injury.

Pittonet got monstered last night, odd call

The lift in his play around the ground is arguably the most obvious improvement I've seen this season. Hasn't improved in the ruck but has taken a huge step forward outside of it.

An odd call would be dismissing that because he was comfortably beaten by a top 2 ruck in the league.

An easy game? That's part of the issue, playing to the opposition status, not dictating terms. This is a very even competition except possibly North. Satisfied with competing with Richmond?
Underestimating Collingwood and playing conditionally?
Freo are undermanned, don't travel well we have to win surely. That attitude will get us beaten. We have to dictate our terms with physicality and execution or anyone will beat us.

Totally BB . This pencil in thinking Is trying to foresee the future...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

he kicked a goal but his possessions, marks and hit outs are down from rounds 1 and 2 last year

Once TDK is fit, he is back to being our ruckman. I think that it is quite obvious

Not sure what you are on about, given he didn't play round 1 last year, and has taken the same amount of marks in his first 2 games this season as he did in his first two last season.

As for TDK getting back to our #1 ruck, they pretty much split CBA in games they played together. Certainly not a big enough discrepancy to be obvious to anyone.

If you look at our coaches, Luke Power is the only one worthy of a mention. Over 300 games at Brisbane, including their great three-peat.

I personally would be looking at moving on not only Barker (stoppages), but also Cam Bruce (forwards), Daniel O'Keefe (midfield development) and even newly appointed development coach, Torin Baker.

Teague, Amos and Brent Stanton would probably survive.

Fev has volunteered plenty of times to mentor Harry so I'd bring him in, and I don't know what happened to Sav Rocca either. I'd also be throwing everything at guys like Hodge, Pavlich, etc to come and coach us.

I’ve been a huge fan of Teague so far but as mentioned in the autopsy thread, Im starting to see big holes in system and an unwillingness to make required changes:

-lack of defensive cohesion
-allowing Plow to be isolated and exposed continually
-no tag on Dusty
-allowing the Saints to tag Cripps and Doc out of last year’s game

He also seems to play favourites which is common amongst all coaches but his favourites are letting us down. We have gone 1 win 6 losses since the Gold Coast game last year.

I do however give Teague credit for improving our attack to a competent AFL level.

In any case some hard calls need to be made and the rest of this season will show us a lot about Teague as a coach.

Agree no doubt the lower level coaches need a clean out. Look at how Don Pyke has transformed the Swans in one preseason. Longmuir did the same at the Pies in 2018 & 2019.

Whilst we need to give Teague some chances to turn it around, if he has us underperforming for the rest of the year the pressure will come. And unlike prior years there are some genuine proven candidates with Clarkson and Pyke.

If you look at our coaches, Luke Power is the only one worthy of a mention. Over 300 games at Brisbane, including their great three-peat.

I personally would be looking at moving on not only Barker (stoppages), but also Cam Bruce (forwards), Daniel O'Keefe (midfield development) and even newly appointed development coach, Torin Baker.

Fev has volunteered plenty of times to mentor Harry so I'd bring him in, and I don't know what happened to Sav Rocca either. I'd also be throwing everything at guys like Hodge, Pavlich, etc to come and coach us.

Perhaps you should have a look at the Lions coaching panel from last year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1616801574976.gif

"Curnow’s been pushed onto a wing and isn’t the same player he is at the coalface. The Blues seem to play a lot of players out of their favoured position but expect the same sort of production. David Teague mentioned post-match that Lochie O’Brien, a more natural winger, was playing pretty well, yet O’Brien was axed after Round 1."

Sam Petrevski-Seton
It’s hard to know what to make of Petrevski-Seton’s AFL career to date. He’s another high draft pick who’s flashed some terrific glimpses. Immediately you think of his Rising Star nomination game in 2017 against Collingwood. And how about that 35-disposal, seven-clearance special against the Bulldogs in 2019? ‘Samo’ is now 82 matches in and toiling away down back, where he’s done some OK things, including one great spoil on Thursday night. But does David Teague need to figure out a way to get him in the midfield rotation again, where he can hunt the footy again?

Jouno is on the money with his assessement. I still remember him saying that he will play players according to their natural talents. He should do that!

Im also not happy with his post game assessement, that he is proud blah blah blah, still making excuses. He seems to prioritise making friends over being the boss.

Had to cut sav due to the reduction to the soft cap, no room for a part time goalkicking coach

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think we need to allow time for Teague to evolve and develop as a senior coach in the same way that players are allowed time to develop. He's no doubt making lots of mistakes and hopefully learning from those mistakes.

It's 18 months from now that if he hasn't shown that capacity to develop and improve that he's in trouble IMO.

Earliest possible sacking would be end of next year if we're still in no--mans-land and he doesn't appear to have any answers. Even then there's a handful of assistant coaches I'd be moving on before resorting to that (which I'd be making end of this year if we decisively miss the 8.)

Obviously this is all jumping the gun hugely after 0-2 but geez being at the ground we looked poor and at times disinterested on Thursday night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back