David Warner | Page 41 | BigFooty

David Warner

Discussion in 'Cricket' started by demondavey, Mar 27, 2018.

1. JimDocker

JimDocker Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other Teams:
    Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
    I don't think it was the smartest move from Clarke to say what he said, but just as Whateley is paid to give opinions, Clarke has been in the media for a while now and does have some insight, having had a pretty fantastic career.

Whateley may have been more articulate, but he was more out of line than Clarke. He apportioned blame in a totally disproportionate manner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. jumboprince

jumboprince FLACCID MEMBER

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Yahl Cricket Club
    He was actually asked in a radio interview what he thought of Australias chances in the test series and how we were tracking with our new philosophy. The way people are acting it is like he called a press conference calling for himself to replace Tim Paine as captain ( although to be fair, I am sure the thought has crossed his mind on a way to regular basis).

dazza68 likes this.
  3. big_e

big_e Premiership Player

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Wycombe Wanderers, 76ers
    The test careers of both Katich and Symonds had finished before Clarke became captain (a couple of months before he turned 30).

Other than that, your post was accurate.

4. Plugger35

Plugger35 The umpires are always right!

St Kilda
    Other Teams:
    Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
    Clarke was VC back then though wasn't he? According to Katich and Symonds he had enough influence to finish both their test careers.

They still hold a lot of bitterness towards him.

Symonds finished his own test career by being a booze hound, was lucky to play test cricket in the first place, only Martyn walking away got him a gig.

Katich was a solid opener but he was no Hayden or Langer and even they weren't that great, flat track bullies come to mind.

Clarke is a better and more intelligent cricketer than most of the dopes that got gigs on Ch7/Foxtel, looking forward to seeing more barbs from him.

mouncey2franklin likes this.
  5. PhatBoy

PhatBoy Brownlow Medallist

Geelong

He more or less issued a press release in the wake of it mate, that’s got more people riled up than what he first said.

With his original comments plenty of people would disagree - myself included - but say that he’s entitled to that opinion because of his role playing alongside many of the current players. His response to what Whateley said is burring more people up

6. PhatBoy

Geelong
    Katich’s record albeit abbreviated by comparison, is virtually identical to langer’s.

Lebbo73 likes this.
  7. Plugger35

St Kilda
    Other Teams:
    That's nothing to brag about, Hayden and Langer looked like Allan Border on the flat pitches here against average bowling attacks.

They didn't look as good when the Poms worked them over in the 2005 Ashes series.

dazza68 likes this.
  8. PhatBoy

Geelong
    Yeah I think you’ll be stretching to find anyone that ever looked their best in every series they ever played.

9. Big Bryza

Big Bryza Norm Smith Medallist

Collingwood
    Neville's batting has gone to shit.

10. frankrizzo

frankrizzo Norm Smith Medallist

I don't think Paine will have a long stint as skipper but nevill deserved to lose his spot, we were getting rolled non stop and he wasn't a bloke who showed he could make runs when we were in trouble, hell Paine played a better innings just last series than anything we ever got from nevill At test level.

Lebbo73 likes this.
  11. Kram

Kram I'll brik u

Fremantle
    Other Teams:
    Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
    Langer still averaged 43 in the 2005 Ashes..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Truckosaurus

Truckosaurus Premiership Player

West Coast
    And had they said that was why Nevill was dropped it'd be understandable. Instead, we got Smith saying he wasn't talkative enough behind the stumps, suddenly adding 'team motivation' to the list of duties of a wicketkeeper. As bizarre as picking a number 11 on batting strength.

13. Gough

Gough Moderator

Hawthorn
    Even when he returns Smith will have another year's ban on holding a leadership role which should probably see him as too old to return to the captaincy, and the lack of any other alternative right now leads me to think that as long as his form holds up Paine will probably have a three or four year run at the job.

14. Kram

Kram I'll brik u

Fremantle
    Other Teams:
    For mine Smith should have received a far less of a playing ban but permanently dumped from captain.

15. Financialpanther

Financialpanther Premiership Player

North Melbourne
    Agree with this - he can come back to play but not as captain.

16. Plugger35

St Kilda
    Other Teams:
    I doubt Smith would want to be captain anyway, get the feeling he'd prefer to just be one of the boys and concentrate on his batting, he isn't a natural leader.

He wasn't the worst of the Australian batsmen in that series, certainly not as bad as Hayden who only made a good score at The Oval on a flat batting track.

Gilchrist had a shocker that series too, Freddie and co had him nicking off to slips and gully when he'd barely had time to take strike.

Lebbo73 likes this.
  17. Howard Littlejohn

Howard Littlejohn Brownlow Medallist

North Melbourne
    The difference was, Clarke seemed to start out his captaincy with the respect of his players. He lost it apparently largely through his own actions.
    Hughes - like Clarke - was always the ACB's (and WACA's) golden boy; add that to the resentment over the WSC split, and Marsh thinking he should have got the gig; Hughes started with his senior players undermining him and dividing the newer players well before he even started as full-time captain.

Lebbo73 likes this.
  18. Glacier

Glacier Premiership Player

Hawthorn
    Why?
    He’s a cheat
    I don’t understand why he would even be allowed back

19. Kram

Kram I'll brik u

Fremantle
    Other Teams:
    That's because you are a halfwit.

dazza68 and Van_Dyke like this.
  20. Glacier

Glacier Premiership Player

Hawthorn
    So Smith cheating makes me a halfwit?
    Wow

21. Lebbo73

Lebbo73 Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    Because Smith is weak and not a strong captain I believe that is why he allowed sandpaper gate to happen. He should be allowed back in the side but he isn’t a suitable or strong enough skipper.

22. frankrizzo

frankrizzo Norm Smith Medallist

Agreed was a pissweak leader even before all this stuff, he walks right back into the side he should never captain the side again.

It's going to hurt not having their runs this summer but long term the rapid ending of that horrible smith/warner/boof leadership group will be a positive for the side.

Tigerssaints and Lebbo73 like this.
  23. StillAtLarge

StillAtLarge Premiership Player

Hawthorn
    Shrek and his minions

24. Richard Pryor

Richard Pryor Norm Smith Medallist

Hawthorn
    This. Will be a joke if they try and reinstate him, especially given he was a very mediocre Captain anyway.

25. jumboprince

jumboprince FLACCID MEMBER

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Yahl Cricket Club
    The more this goes on, the less I have time for Simon Katich.

Can a guy get anymore mileage out of an incident where he drunkenly attacked someone and then paints himself as the victim?

big_e, archibald, corbies and 3 others like this.