David Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

I always defended Clarke over the dressing room incident. The mythical 'custodian of the song' bollocks is exactly the sort of bubble that Australian players are floating around in that causes a disconnect between players and fans.

Since their retirements, I have found Katich far more likeable than Clarke in their public utterances. I have particularly enjoyed Katich's commentary on the ABC.

Neither one of them is all good or all bad. I try to judge each action or statement on it's merits.

It's ridiculous that an answer from Clarke in an interview that could have been in many different ways has grown into a story as big as this.

I always defended Clarke over the dressing room incident. The mythical 'custodian of the song' bollocks is exactly the sort of bubble that Australian players are floating around in that causes a disconnect between players and fans.

Since their retirements, I have found Katich far more likeable than Clarke in their public utterances. I have particularly enjoyed Katich's commentary on the ABC.

Neither one of them is all good or all bad. I try to judge each action or statement on it's merits.

It's ridiculous that an answer from Clarke in an interview that could have been in many different ways has grown into a story as big as this.
Clarke was 100% in the wrong over the dressing room incident, it had zero to do with singing the song, 100% to do with cameraderie noting there were several players playing there first test and it was the end of the series.

I don't believe that Smith wasn't in on it and I don't believe it was isolated to those three. It's simply implausible that the bowlers weren't in some way party to what went on as well.

I dunno. Every team I’ve ever been a part of, while tight overall, has also had factions who stick tight and talk about various game plans and ideas among themselves.

Clarke was 100% in the wrong over the dressing room incident, it had zero to do with singing the song, 100% to do with cameraderie noting there were several players playing there first test and it was the end of the series.

That is a very definitive statement. Not sure that anyone can be 100% correct and somebody else 100% in the wrong over an incident like that. Can't really say that it had nothing to do with the song when Katich himself that he didn't like the pressure the "custodian of the song" was put under.

That is a very definitive statement. Not sure that anyone can be 100% correct and somebody else 100% in the wrong over an incident like that. Can't really say that it had nothing to do with the song when Katich himself that he didn't like the pressure the "custodian of the song" was put under.
The full story will never be told, bits of it are in print but it probable goes to the heart of what type of character M Clarke is.

I don't believe that Smith wasn't in on it and I don't believe it was isolated to those three. It's simply implausible that the bowlers weren't in some way party to what went on as well.

Bowlers would have known the ball was getting scuffed up considerably more than was "normal" but since ball tampering is so common place I doubt they thought anything of it. They probably thought Warner/Bancroft were just being more successful than usual in modifying the ball.

Simon Katich is a genuinely good block and a man of integrity. I'm not sure where you got the "drunkenly attacked someone" from but that is not correct and I have that from someone who was there. You are looking at the wrong man. More importantly he is not self absorbed, he has the best interests of the game at heart.
With the greatest respect, just because someone was there it doesn't mean it's coming from an completely neutral point of view.

Frankly, no-one covered themselves in glory that night but the fact we are still crapping on about it almost a decade later is just f***ing silly.

To be fair to Katich - he was doing a 'this is your sporting life' interview. Of course the question about the incident was going to come up. It's really only amplified because of the Whately/Clarke feud, to which Katich played a minor part in, has played out in the past week

So you also believe that Smith, Philander, Steyn et. al. were in on it when Faf was caught fiddling with the ball twice?

With the greatest respect, just because someone was there it doesn't mean it's coming from an completely neutral point of view.

Frankly, no-one covered themselves in glory that night but the fact we are still crapping on about it almost a decade later is just f***ing silly.
this, it’s pretty much 10 years old at this point. I’m genuinely tired of hearing about an event that happened that long ago, when the only one in that room still playing is Peter Siddle

We just spent weeks having the cricket media going over in detail yet again that a sportsman wore a green cap to a tennis match nearly twenty years ago so except to hear this katich and Clarke thing for a few more decades.

I am more and more convinced our cricket media live for the controversy the sport can bring and the cricket for them is just the minor distraction, the nightmare scenario for them would be a hard fought controversy free series this summer where the bat and ball performances are the talking points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This post doesn’t make sense. You might be sick of hearing about it, but if the full story isn’t told, the media will keep asking about it.

Makes perfect sense. I don't want to hear any more about it, full story or otherwise. I mean, who gives a s**t? Why do you, me, the media, or anyone else for that matter need to know? We don't.

Last edited:
Makes perfect sense. I do don't want to hear any more about it, full story or otherwise. I mean, who gives a s**t? Why do you, me, the media, or anyone else for that matter need to know? We don't.
I know that but the media are persistent and won’t stop until they get the full story!

I'm no fan of Clarke but wanting to leave before that silly vomit inducing "Under the Southern Cross" crappola, I'm sympathetic to him on this one.
gee, this is a team representing Australia , and seen as a privilege to sing the song. , i understand Lyon has it at the moment
Bonnie has had it as well.
Punter was the captain at the time , and you do not get to leave early ,
bit like going to your wedding and me leaving before the free food and red bull are served
Clarke has his own rules . remember when he came home early from NZ because Lara was pissing off

gee, this is a team representing Australia , and seen as a privilege to sing the song. , i understand Lyon has it at the moment
Bonnie has had it as well.
Punter was the captain at the time , and you do not get to leave early ,
bit like going to your wedding and me leaving before the free food and red bull are served
Clarke has his own rules . remember when he came home early from NZ because Lara was pissing off

Kat?

Smith wasn’t playing during either occasion from memory and Steyn certainly wasn’t for one of them so probably not :)

Faf got busted during the 2nd test Dubai against Pakistan in 2013. Smith, Petersen, Elgar, Kallis, Steyn, de Villiers, Duminy, Philander, Morkel and Tahir all played.

Next was time Faf got busted was during the 2nd test in Hobart against Australia in 2026. Elgar, Cook, Duminy, du Plessis, Amla, de Kock, Bavuma, Maharaj, Abbott and Philander played.

Both Steyn and Smith played in one of the tests. Question still stands though; were the leadership and bowling groups of those two sides in on the ball tampering?

Faf got busted during the 2nd test Dubai against Pakistan in 2013. Smith, Petersen, Elgar, Kallis, Steyn, de Villiers, Duminy, Philander, Morkel and Tahir all played.

Next was time Faf got busted was during the 2nd test in Hobart against Australia in 2026. Elgar, Cook, Duminy, du Plessis, Amla, de Kock, Bavuma, Maharaj, Abbott and Philander played.

Both Steyn and Smith played in one of the tests. Question still stands though; were the leadership and bowling groups of those two sides in on the ball tampering?
Probably. They weren't so f***ing stupid as to try to smuggle a piece of bright yellow sandpaper onto the field to do it with though.

Probably. They weren't so f***ing stupid as to try to smuggle a piece of bright yellow sandpaper onto the field to do it with though.
It's not as if you can't get white sandpaper either that you could try and pass off as chewing gum. Even brown on one side could at least look like Elastoplast from a distance.

I doubt it. I thought the zipper one was after Smith had quit, fwiw

And the cameras were on high alert, which even the audience thousands of kms away were aware of. They deserved the suspension for stupidity alone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back