David Warner | Page 44 | BigFooty

David Warner

Discussion in 'Cricket' started by demondavey, Mar 27, 2018.

1. PhatBoy

PhatBoy Brownlow Medallist

Geelong
    Yes, smith with his extensive rap sheet of questionable behaviour and constant run ins with anyone of any level of authority doubtless concocted the whole thing.

Doss, DaRick, Kram and 1 other person like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. big_e

big_e Premiership Player

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Wycombe Wanderers, 76ers
    The boat issue: http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/673693.html

Hussey was fine with it - some of the players cracked the shits on his behalf. And it had been organised waaay in advance.

3. JezzasOnTheAsphalt

JezzasOnTheAsphalt Debutant

Collingwood
    Ah yes the boat saga. I remember hearing at the time that Huss woke up the next day with a voicemail from Warner and Clarke basically abusing him for telling the media and not being there which seemed a bit ridiculous. The more I hear about Warner though the more believable it sounds

Blue1980 and reubski23 like this.
  4. big_e

big_e Premiership Player

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Wycombe Wanderers, 76ers
    Not true, according to Michael Hussey: Why don't people bother to Google this stuff?

5. The Swans Blog

The Swans Blog Norm Smith Medallist

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    The Swans Blog
    In general, would be very happy if he never represents Australia at any international level again.

6. JezzasOnTheAsphalt

JezzasOnTheAsphalt Debutant

Collingwood
    western royboy likes this.
  7. western royboy

western royboy Brownlow Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Chelsea
    Mike Hussey is a very nice guy - from what I am told the last thing he was going to do was to leave a legacy of animosity - says a lot about him

8. Glacier

Glacier Premiership Player

Hawthorn
    So you don’t know then?
    You’ve gone from definitely to not knowing

9. PhatBoy

Geelong
    ‘Virtually every angle of the story’ is what I said. Learn to read.

Feel free to go through the 4 million articles saying the same thing and dispute that.

Kram likes this.
  10. JackOutback

JackOutback Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Has there been a better bloke recently than Hussey. I know one or two people who have had plenty of interactions with him and every story is positive.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  11. western royboy

western royboy Brownlow Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Chelsea
    Probably not, Andrew McDonald is a very good bloke as is Siddle and James Pattinson, I met a few of the Aussies in NZ 14-15 years ago, Gilchrist, Gillespie and Kasprowicz were all very friendly and interested in grass roots cricket which was very refreshing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. big_e

big_e Premiership Player

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Wycombe Wanderers, 76ers
    One of my workmates had a son who played against Adam Gilchrist's kid in under 12s or 14s a few years ago. Gilchrist had commentated on a BBL game in Sydney on a Friday night, and was umpiring in the boys' match in Perth by 9am the next morning. My workmate said his son's team was one short, so Gilly Jr volunteered to swap sides to help them out.

13. Glacier

Hawthorn
    Thanks
    So you don’t have any more idea than the rest of us
    Just wanted to clear that up

dazza68 likes this.
  14. PhatBoy

Geelong
    Where have I claimed that I do?
    I wasn’t there any more than you were.

However I’m basing my suspicions on the only documentation that exists. As opposed to ‘because I said so’ which is such a tried and true method.

Kram likes this.
  15. Glacier

Hawthorn
    Ok

dazza68 likes this.
  16. The Speaker

The Speaker Sage

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Fremantle, WA, Associates
    Actually, I would say that it's a bit broader than that.

Yes, there are some people in life for whom tradition is important (I would say S Waugh is one of these), and others for whom change is important (Clarke and Warne). Together they make up a majority.

But there are others who are neither, and only look at either if they serve a greater purpose, either for emotional/interpersonal reasons, or for logical/utilitarian reasons. Katich strikes me as the latter.

17. The Swans Blog

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    The Swans Blog
    Wonder if we'll ever see Pattinson back in the test lineup

18. Richard Pryor

Richard Pryor Norm Smith Medallist

Hawthorn
    Finch opening should counter a lot of the naysayers who still dismiss Warner as a slog-happy T20 player. The guy is a knob, but a good Test opener, Finch shows what an actual underprepared batsman with a completely different skillset looks like.

dazza68 and G Mus like this.
  19. PhatBoy

Geelong
    The general cricket appreciating fraternity wouldn’t base their criticisms of Warner on some perceived inability to play test cricket. His approach is no different to Sehwag or Gilchrist most of the time in that he just simply has a broader scope of balls he can score off than most players. What let’s him down is that unlike the other two, I get the impression that he often feels he has to score at that pace even on the occasions when the bowling isn’t in his large hitting arc. On top of that he quite simply isn’t that good when the conditions are tough - nothing to do with being aggressive or a T20 product. He simply doesn’t quite have as good a game against the moving ball or the spinning one as what some other players have. He certainly has the raw skill, as his innings in Bangladesh showed and one of his SA tours.

Van_Dyke and Richard Pryor like this.
  20. The Swans Blog

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    The Swans Blog
    He doesn't have a good defensive game, which has been proven time and time again. He's quite poor against the seaming and swinging ball, and even worse against the spinners. There's every chance he would have done as well as Finch against the Indian pace attack, who were pretty good. He has a great record in Australia because the ball doesn't do a lot, providing consistent bounce and movement off the pitch.

His average in Australia and South Africa is really good, both nations produce similar pitches, while his average literally everywhere else (excluding the 2 tests in Bangladesh and 2 in UAE) is poor. Has a high score of 71 in India, while less experienced players Handscomb, Maxwell and Renshaw scored centuries on rank pitches and dust bowls. I'd say his average in England and New Zealand is a pretty good representation of his ability to deal with a seaming and swinging ball.

21. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Premiership Player

Melbourne
    I would agree were it not for him carrying his bat for 123* during our fourth innings run chase against NZ in Hobart, 2011. That was as difficult a greentop as you'll see, and Bracewell/Southee/Boult were rampant.

As far as I am concerned, the ability has always been there. The application, not so much.

Doss, Kram and The Swans Blog like this.