David Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

That may be true but there a lot of players who are also arguably in the best 6 bats in the country who never get a look.

True, but no one is arguing that Warner on talent and performance isn't in the best 2 or 3, let alone 6 bats in the country. And that is why such a huge cocksmack of a bloke has been continually selected (to answer your original question).

From Geoff Lemon's twitter:

I feel a little bit relieved reading Geoff Lemon's post. I had always had Warner down as a hot headed bogan that could play cricket, but had softened my opinion of him as he seemed to have taken a different approach in recent times. I felt naïve that I had been taken is so easily, but it seems that Lemon, who is a great thinker and writer as well as being close to the team went the same way.

No one could ever control mark Jacko Jackson. Hence he was traded numerous times and ultimately let out of the system. You cannot control everyone.

It has to be said, for a long time the Australian cricket team has played favourites. You get promoted if you are on the "inside" and you get completely and utterly ostracised if you are on the "outside".

So the question is how did a culture develop where Warner is one of the first picked on the "inside"? When it is plainly obvious to everyone that he is a complete knob.
I think he is a tool but he was more then decent performing opening bat for the most part a mediocre test side , or more to the point batting lineup

People may suggest a NSW bias but he got in and performed, so it was easier to turn a blind eye to his antics and propensity to blow up . His performance got him in and kept him in

I think he got appointed VC because he convinced CA he was a totally changed man , newly married with kids and showed decent behaviour for a period of time
Lehmann wanted an enforcer so it ticked a few boxes for them

The leash gradually loosened around him overtime and the predictable blow out occurred

It might not be a bad idea to keep it sensible, this statement is just nonsense!
I actually looked up his stats after I got flamed on here for that comment. And I can see I where went a bit too far.
Hes still a flog though. And I still don't rate modern international Cricket these days.

So is it official that Warner is the instigator or is everyone jumping to conclusions because it just seems like this is the sort of thing a flog like Warner would do?

So is it official that Warner is the instigator or is everyone jumping to conclusions because it just seems like this is the sort of thing a flog like Warner would do?
Warner might have been the instigator, but I reckon at least the bowlers and probably Smith had to have been in on it.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...a/news-story/0fe412945dcb7cd6fa9fbed961450e8f
According to The Courier-Mail’s Robert Craddock, the anger from Aussie cricketers towards Warner is a response to testimony the star opener reportedly gave Cricket Australia’s integrity unit investigators which claimed the bowling unit of Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood, Pat Cummins and Nathan Lyon were aware of the ball tampering plot.
Seems pretty plausible to me that Warner tells the truth to the investigators and the bowling unit + Smith tell a story about Warner going rogue, with CA going with the majority as the truth.

Warner might have been the instigator, but I reckon at least the bowlers and probably Smith had to have been in on it.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...a/news-story/0fe412945dcb7cd6fa9fbed961450e8f

Seems pretty plausible to me that Warner tells the truth to the investigators and the bowling unit + Smith tell a story about Warner going rogue, with CA going with the majority as the truth.
I find it hard to believe the bowlers wouldn't know the ball was being worked on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is interesting that we have been "bombarded" by noise regarding Warner. Everyone including myself has jumped on the anti Warner Bandwagon. Today I have read nothing on this current issue. But have thought about the "Big Picture" Warner has given a lot of joy to a lot of people in a cricket sense. Far more joy than the occasional slip up. Problem is that the slip ups affect negatively us by a greater factor than when he gives us Joy. His job is to give us joy and he has given plenty. The fact he drives a flash car marries a ? and lives in a 6 million dollar mansion has nothing to do with cricket..it is also noise. So if you want to focus on the noise Warner becomes someone to despise for a range of reasons. I will not further ask for Warners head and will say the door should remain open for him to play for Australia again. Sure he needs time for a rethink and a reset but his potential to give us cricketing joy remains...he needs to just tone it down a notch...Will he get this chance I say he should. CA should not be looking to appease the masses because the masses are WRONG.

Always saw him as a flat track bully who dominates on the rubbish flat pitches that continually get produced, never rated him as a quality batter.

To make things worse he is the Cyril Rioli of the Australian cricket team so we continually have to hear that flog Slats and his mates drool over him.

Him being VC is an embarrassment over the lack of leadership the Australian team has has since Steve Waugh left. Punter wasn't the worst but Clarke and Smith aren't leaders of men.

To make things worse he is the Cyril Rioli of the Australian cricket team so we continually have to hear that flog Slats and his mates drool over him
Warner sounds to me more like the Joel Selwood of the team: a big-headed flog of a bloke and a bad sport who pushes the limits of the rules; who was elevated to a leadership position and is unliked by the general public

Probably the latter, which makes the thread even more enjoyable

Success excuses many failings.

Never a truer word. One of our Wisden Cricketers of the Century was a bogan, drug-taking, chain-smoking, moronic, undermining, egomaniac, baked-bean enthusiast and friend of Indian bookies.

But he kept on bowling that flipper that took wickets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back