Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Worth about 600K according to afl.com, free agency status not clear

heard he might be on the move.

What do we all think?

I'd love to keep him as I think his best is amongst the best at our club, especially if he can get a 22/1.5 season. However if he were to go for 800k I'd be okay with it; opens up a spot for someone like Long or McGrath in the middle and we'd get a 1st round pick as compensation.

Can't see him leaving - stuck fat through the tough times, won't bail when the future is bright.
I hope so; but what would you do if you were offered 800k by say, Sydney or 500k by Essendon?

Would have thought he's more likely to stay than most of the players who already signed contract extensions.

I hope so; but what would you do if you were offered 800k by say, Sydney or 500k by Essendon?
flight centre.PNG

In all seriousness but, I doubt any team would offer too much more than the Bombers. $550k a year with TPP set to rise is about fair, and I think he'll be keen to sign if there are no vastly superior offers.

Would have thought he's more likely to stay than most of the players who already signed contract extensions.

I agree, only way I see him moving is if someone offers him crazy money (and if so he should take it) or the club low balls him (and in which he should say * you to the bombers).

Of the price is right and similar to other offers he will stay.

Wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

For a bottom side like mine or 4 or 5 others, he's not the type to help lead you out of trouble.

For a middling team, there is better to spend nice cash on than this Brayden Ellis, Lewis Jetta type.

For a contending team, spend the cash keeping your own good players.

But after Chris Mayne, i guess anything can happen.

Wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

For a bottom side like mine or 4 or 5 others, he's not the type to help lead you out of trouble.

For a middling team, there is better to spend nice cash on than this Brayden Ellis, Lewis Jetta type.

For a contending team, spend the cash keeping your own good players.

But after Chris Mayne, i guess anything can happen.
... He averaged 25 disposals and 4 clearances a game in the dead last team last season and was leading our best and fairest halfway through the year.

... He averaged 25 disposals and 4 clearances a game in the dead last team last season and was leading our best and fairest halfway through the year.

Yeah, Ed Curnow did similar for us. Average mids do that often in average midfields. Someone's gotta get it who's playing onball.

Look, Zaka will either stay at Essendon and be well paid comensurate to his ability/output(95% chance), or be snapped up at a slight discount by a middling/contending team that gets a tad desperate if he wanted out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This. He already said that he wants to stay at Essendon. Grew up an Essendon supporter, stuck with the boys and made it out on the other side. Can't see him leaving the others now.

Good player and a proven game winner nonetheless.

I reckon Zaharakis is a good footballer, I've always liked him. Not a star by any stretch of the imagination but someone who is a good solid contributor and generally underrated by the footy public.

There will certainly be interest in him from elsewhere but my guess is he stays at Essendon. There aren't going to be any huge offers for him.

Not the right player for Carlton to target at this stage...but if Gibbs heads to Adelaide we may just have a sniff around.

Yeah, Ed Curnow did similar for us. Average mids do that often in average midfields. Someone's gotta get it who's playing onball.

Look, Zaka will either stay at Essendon and be well paid comensurate to his ability/output(95% chance), or be snapped up at a slight discount by a middling/contending team that gets a tad desperate if he wanted out.
Curnow and Zaharakis comparisons. ******* lol

Curnow and Zaharakis comparisons. ******* lol

As types, i compared Zaka to B.Ellis and Jetta.

On the worth of the stats you presented, i compared Zaka to E.Curnow(it could have been many other examples from any club)....average players getting fulltime gigs in poor midfields...ie good looking stats.

Comprehension has never been your strong suit though.:)

On the worth of the stats you presented, i compared Zaka to E.Curnow(it could have been many other examples from any club)....average players getting fulltime gigs in poor midfields...ie good looking stats.

Those two have never won as many clearances or CP or possessions as Zaka. So your comparisons are stupid.

Both fair and unfair IMO.

His best is very good, but he has been around for a LONG time and strung probably 40 good games together in all those years. If anyone offers him $800k I would tell him to not even pause before signing.

Last year was interesting - before he got tagged he was great - but my worry is that was because nobody took the depleted Bombers seriously.

IMO this year is when he will become either a 'very good' player, or cement the place he has occupied thus far in his career as bog average.

If he can get off the chain this year and be damaging - could be in for a decent payday.

Restricted or unrestricted?

Good player, it seems like $800k is the new $600k so that would seem to be pretty cheap for a player of his worth.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd love to keep him as I think his best is amongst the best at our club, especially if he can get a 22/1.5 season. However if he were to go for 800k I'd be okay with it; opens up a spot for someone like Long or McGrath in the middle and we'd get a 1st round pick as compensation.
Interesting side point - that the predicted increase in the salary cap might result in inflated salaries in the coming years and better compensation as a result. Might be a good couple of years coming up to lose free agents (I assume once the salary cap changes officially come in the formula for compensation will adjust accordingly).

Those two have never won as many clearances or CP or possessions as Zaka. So your comparisons are stupid.

Brayden Ellis' career is practically mirroring Zaharakis'. Very promising early, then stagnating in damage caused to opposition, reliability and toughness(both mental and physical).

Zaka's career projection hasn't been projecting upwards...no matter what stats say when average midfielders get quality midfield time.

Would be a good target for the Eagles and Crows I reckon. He'd be the 5th best midfielder at the Eagles behind Mitchell, Shuey, Priddis and Gaff(Subject to Mitchell playing beyond this season although at the end of this season Dom Sheed might deserve a mention among this group) which might allow him to get off the chain.

No side is picking up Zaharakis as a restricted free agent at a discount Essendon woukd jusg match their bid.

Not many average midfielders command tags though which Zaka has done in multiple seasons throughout his career.

Not many average midfielders command tags though which Zaka has done in multiple seasons throughout his career.

Unfortunately he has struggled to perform whilst tagged.

He's a decent player, but it would be insanity for any one to offer him 800k, far to inconsistent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back