Davis Cup 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
http://www.daviscup.com/en/home.aspx

Australia's first round tie against Czech Republic takes place starting tomorrow at Kooyong. This will be the eighth time Australia faces the Czech Republic in Davis Cup. Australia has won all but one of these ties.

Australian team:
Nick Kyrgios
Jordan Thompson
John Peers
Sam Groth

Czech team:
Jiri Vesely
Radek Stepanek
Jan Satral
Zdenek Kolar

The Czechs have sprung a surprise, overlooking Stepanek for the singles in favour of the 26 year old world no. 157 Jan Satral. He takes on Nick Kyrgios first up.

Rounding out the singles lineups are Jordan Thompson - representing Australia in Davis Cup for the first time - and Jiri Vesely.

Day 1
Play starts at 11am local.

Rubber 1
Jordan Thompson vs. Jiri Vesely

Rubber 2
Nick Kyrgios vs. Jan Satral

Day 2
Play starts at 12pm local.

Rubber 3
Sam Groth / John Peers vs. Zdenek Kolar / Radek Stepanek

Day 3
Play starts at 11am local.

Rubber 4
Nick Kyrgios vs. Jiri Vesely

Rubber 5
Jordan Thompson vs. Jan Satral

Last edited:
We should win this comfortably I think. Pity Millman is still injured, he may have got the second singles spot if he had been fit what with Bernie making himself unavailable.

Anyone going?

Desperately want to go but don't think I'll be able to make it due to health reasons. Don't like to pass up an opportunity to go to any tennis at Kooyong but might have to this time.

No way its overpriced $71 u could almost pay the same and get into the early rounds on rod laver at the australian open and u get 3 matches not 2

That is overpriced! Luckily I have access to free tickets. Would not pay that either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good 1st set from thompson here broke immediately in the 1st game held serve all the way through and got a 2nd break to win the set 6-3

Hes come out very positive not showing any signs of nerves if im right this is his 1st davis cup tie so good to see hes not overwhelmed and playing great tennis

I see him as the future of Australian tennis as tomic and kyrgios will fade away

Good 1st set from thompson here broke immediately in the 1st game held serve all the way through and got a 2nd break to win the set 6-3

Hes come out very positive not showing any signs of nerves if im right this is his 1st davis cup tie so good to see hes not overwhelmed and playing great tennis

I see him as the future of Australian tennis as tomic and kyrgios will fade away

Not convinced that Nick will, he's got the game to do well and he's closing in on the top 10 so not prepared to write him off yet.

I think Thanasi Kokkinakis is another one to watch if he gets his body right.
Another good set by Thompson, especially given that Vesely was starting to ramp up the pressure a bit.

Disgusting pricing. Hope they get a decent crowd, that makes me worry.

Yep. They (TA) bang on about how important representing your country is and how important DC is to Australia and then at a home tie they gouge the punter right in the hip pocket. DC and Fed Cup shouldn't be about maximising profits like the Aus Open is it should be about getting a maximum crowd.

Yep. They (TA) bang on about how important representing your country is and how important DC is to Australia and then at a home tie they gouge the punter right in the hip pocket. DC and Fed Cup shouldn't be about maximising profits like the Aus Open is it should be about getting a maximum crowd.
You can see that in the crowd only the diehards are there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back