Davis Cup 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure on the rules. I'd figured they picked Querrey because Sock wouldve struggled against Nick.

Yeah, obviously. But I thought they were called 'reverse' singles for a reason.

Lucky they are not playing this at Kooyong this time, chucking it down in Melbourne today!

Last edited:

So are we allowed to sub players now? I thought Sock could only be replaced if injured.
(ii) A Captain may change the nomination of the singles players for the third and fourth singles matches on the following conditions:
  • Notice of such change to the third singles match is given to the Referee at least one hour before the scheduled start of play of the third singles match.
  • Notice of change with respect to the fourth singles match is given no later than 10 minutes after completion of the third singles match.
If, between the change of nomination deadline and start of play in the third or fourth singles match, one of the players, in the opinion of the Referee, is ill or injured, the Referee must sanction the substitution of that player by another player nominated for the Tie.

(iii) Any substitute nominated under section (ii) above for the third or fourth singles match must be selected from among the players nominated for the Tie and who has not competed in the first or second singles matches

Nick has a way of forcing other players into making mistakes. I guess that's what all the really good players do, just not used to seeing an Aussie to it for quite a while!

Plus he is playing slower in between points. Whereas, in the past, he would rush into serving now he takes the time to relax and think of the point.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Belgium have a really weak doubles team and only a competent second singles player. It could hinge on Kyrgios v Goffin, which should be a great match but is in Nick's favour imo. If Tomic can get his s**t together in time it's a tie we really should be winning, but who knows where Bernie will be at.

Kyrgios is in some serious form. Only a couple of players on tour that he wouldn't start favourite against at the moment. Big if obviously but if he maintains this form through to Wimbledon he will be a big shot. Still a few months away though.

The win by Thompson was crucial and I'm not sure what was wrong with sock, whether it was sickness or injury or lack of motivation.

Where will the Belgium tie be held?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back