Davis Cup 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Canada has been disqualified because one of their players hit the umpire with a ball :eek: Just looking at the results it must have been Shapovalov because I see that match has been awarded to Edmund.

Edit: Am reading via Twitter that is was an accident. Hit the ball into the crowd in anger and it hit the umpire.

Last edited:

BRITAIN has advanced to a Davis Cup quarter-final matchup against France in dramatic fashion after the decisive final singles match ended when Canada’s Denis Shapovalov hit the umpire with a ball.

The 17-year-old Israeli-born Canadian was defaulted after his unusual move, handing Britain’s Kyle Edmund a 6-3 6-4 2-1 triumph after only 78 minutes and giving Britain a 3-2 victory in the first-round tie at Ottawa.

“It was a strange way to finish,” Edmund said. “I’ve never been part of something like that.”

Britain advanced to a quarter-final matchup April 7-9 against France with that winner facing either Spain or Serbia in a September semi-final.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/t...l/news-story/e057ee4bc65ead362d30d74ebe547c50

https://twitter.com/DJHeerMusic

Just as incredibly stupid as Nalbandian when he whacked the linesman in the chin. Going by that punishment it was a heavy fine and suspended sentence so if there is logic then that should the punishment

I just saw the scores, Belgium won 4-1. How, especially without Goffin?

I thought Germany would've at least won the doubles.
Steve Darcis with two monster performances- Beat Kohlschreiber from a set down and then sealed the tie against Sasha Zverev in four sets

Also just saw that before the weekend Germany was 8-0 vs the Belgians- what a way to break that streak

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disregard the last tie. Kyrgios not playing at the last minute threw us into disarray.

That may be true but the (our) media didn't seem to be too concerned since "Hewitt was going to save the day".

Also the Bryan brothers have retired so I am confident we will win the doubles this time.

Yeah I'm not so sure. I think no Bryan Bros gives USA better flexibility. All are capable in the pairs with Sock having the best CV. I really think the tie needs to won in the singles.

Line up, US v Aust. No surprise that Tomic was not selected

FRESH from a gritty Miami Open fourth-round win over Ivo Karlovic, Nick Kyrgios has been named to lead Australia’s Davis Cup campaign against the US in Brisbane next week.

Kyrgios will spearhead an unchanged team as Bernard Tomic’s Cup exile continues indefinitely, as Jordan Thompson, Sam Groth and John Peers shape to push Australia into the semi-finals for the first time since 2015.

Tomic made himself unavailable for the first-round tie, citing scheduling issues, and has not won a match since.

The Queenslander withdrew from the Miami Open because of a back injury and his ranking has slipped from No 17 to near 50 after a string of poor results.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/t...t/news-story/8558988ada6f01e232007edf8d5af15e

I know he is out of form but I kind of wish Tomic was in the team. We bassically need Kyrgios to win both and then Groth and Peers win the doubles. I think all three of those are 50/50.

I also think the media will hound Kyrgios all week which is not a distraction he needs fiven his current good form.

I have a lot more belief in Thompson at the moment than I would if Bernie was in the squad.

I wouldn't be selecting Bernie until he shows that he's improved his mental toughness, fitness and durability.

I have a lot more belief in Thompson at the moment than I would if Bernie was in the squad.

I wouldn't be selecting Bernie until he shows that he's improved his mental toughness, fitness and durability.

Yeah I think your right, I just don't think Thompson can win a singles rubber against the US. I hope I'm wrong.

Not sure how far Kokkinakis is away, hopefully by the Semi's if we make it.

I know he is out of form but I kind of wish Tomic was in the team. We bassically need Kyrgios to win both and then Groth and Peers win the doubles. I think all three of those are 50/50.

I also think the media will hound Kyrgios all week which is not a distraction he needs fiven his current good form.

Tomic has a good Davis Cup record but in his current state I'm not sure he would be able to produce his usual good Davis Cup form. I am comfortable with Thompson, he will give his best which is all you can ask. I actually wish Millman were fit as, although he's not the greatest player, he is the type that would put in a 110% effort in these circumstances and could win against the odds.

Kyrgios has the support of the team around him in Davis Cup and I think it really helps him. Hopefully in that environment any effects from any negative press will be mitigated.

Looking forward to this!

Kyrgios has the support of the team around him in Davis Cup and I think it really helps him. Hopefully in that environment any effects from any negative press will be mitigated.

That and it's Hewitt job to deflect any negative press away from the players. If anything the press will probably ask questions about Bernie not being there again and just like last time I think team will handle it pretty well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back