Davis Cup 2018

Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
on clay? Absolutely. Only months ago, we were 1 victory away from the Final. Just goes to show how quickly fortunes can change.

2 years ago a similar thing happened. 1 doubles + 1 singles win (vs Dan Evans) away from the Final in the SF vs GB. Months later we lose a home tie to the USA (losing Kyrgios to injury didn't help tho).

But hey, Little Lleyton is going to save us because our newspapers keep saying so :rolleyes:

The Ghost of Bernie lives.
I actually pity Hewitt as captain, with what he had to deal/play with. So no, I don't blame him.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I'm just tired of the lionizing. When Neale Fraser was captain it never was about him.

It's interesting, as I mentioned during the Australian Open I think we go over the top with Davis Cup.

Nick had a tough game today but we lost the tie yesterday. Peers and Ebden were very dissapointing.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
So just heard on the radio from Todd Woodbridge that De Minaur’s stomach muscle problem had flared up in his match against Zverev which is why his serve dropped off towards the end of the match and he was not going to play the reverse singles, Millman would have played it instead. Just was not our tie.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Nick had a tough game today but we lost the tie yesterday. Peers and Ebden were very dissapointing.

That's a massive cop out for Nick IMO. He had 5-1 record over Zverev. Zverev has a poor record in 5 set matches, a lot worse than Nick, and was pushed to 5 sets by ADM two days earlier. I'm not a Kyrgios basher but to lose comfortably in 3 sets was incredibly poor by Nick.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I am not really sure how they have a field of 18 and finish it in a week. I don't like it, I can see they need to make some changes but this is to drastic.

Also for some countries Davis Cup is their only exposure to professional tennis.

ozgamer

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
SIMPSONS DID IT! SIMPSONS DID IT!

Fed Cup pre-1995 was organized where the World Group teams played the comp over 1 week at 1 venue. They then changed the format to that which was used in Davis Cup.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
Proposed new format has been slammed by Aussie tennis greats such as Neale Fraser, Todd Woodbridge and Pat Cash. Hewitt hasn't specifically commented but he did tweet a link to this article from The Australian.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...t/news-story/292ced4b79b652358cbea1932d337603

Cash's exact words, "It is un-f****** believable". Not happy Jan! :p :D

Edit: The Hewitt tweet was about another article in The Australian, an uncomplimentary opinion piece but I can't read it due to the paywall.

Last edited:

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

ozgamer

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Yeah, I haven't seen much support for it apart from some of the players. I think it will happen though, freeing up 3 weeks a year in the calender probaby more counting preperations appears to be the main positive.

That and the money the ITF will get.

I do find the widespread whinging and moaning very amusing though.

The Laver Cup is an ego-stroking exercise that doesn't do anything but makes lots of money. It occupies a week on the schedule and yet Federer is celebrated like he's discovered the wheel.

One can bang on about upholding tradition til the cows come home but when it comes to professional sport you have to expect moments like this recent proposal to happen.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Very tough draw. Assuming Thiem wins both singles on clay we would need to win the other three which won't be easy.

I think we might be out of the World Group in 2019.

Back