Davis Cup Australia v Slovakia Fri 16th to Sun 18th Sept- Olympic Park, Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Kovalik 123
Martin 126
Gombos 331
Zelenay 87 in doubles

Haven't even heard of these guys before.
Haha yeah very much fringe players.
Even with the envitable Tomic and Kyrgios injury/crowd/illness/weather complaints we should win the tie easily.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

The only thing that worries me is if Kyrgios' hip issue flares up and he has to retire in the first match and can't play the second (worst case scenario) who can we replace him with? Would it have to be Groth or could we bring Millman in? Can't remember what the rules are after the tie actually starts regarding replacement players.

It would have to be Groth, once the tie starts you can only use the team of four.

I wish Mecir put himself in the Slovak team. He would show everyone how to play.

Phew! First rubber done with nothing more untoward than a blood nose. Well done Nick.

Now for Bernie's match.
surely there was something. did he ask for a ball rudely? have a discussion with the umpire....

he must not have cared. disgraceful

Tomic making harder work of this than it should be.

now it is a squash match.

they really need to change something in the Davis cup. make it happen over 2 years or something.
What sort of changes are you thinking?

What sort of changes are you thinking?

i will be honest. i not really sure. but it is not a good look when a tie is this easy when Slovakia has not brought their best team to Australia.

it should be special. a world cup of tennis with the best of the best. perhaps less rounds per year and so it is over a 2 year period. just thinkinng out loud.

i dont support a neutral final though.

I have always thought the non World Group ties could perhaps be done in two days. I think that would help the crowds. Really just having a day with one doubles match on it featuring the calibre of players on court tomorrow is not ideal in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good start. Let's hope we wrap it up with the doubles tomorrow. Curious to see how Peers and Groth play together.

Pretty much as easy as expected. This tie really did not needed to be played on grass.

Would you believe this is the exact same grass court they played on in Melbourne! They just put it out to pasture for a few months apparently and then resurrected it for this tie.

Pretty much as easy as expected. This tie really did not needed to be played on grass.

agreed. But it was successful in Feb v the yanks. Kooyong looked great then.

*cough* *cough* *cough* but you know, tradition *cough* *cough* *cough*

No media fuss over the Slovak Captain, Mecir ... the Big Cat ... the biggest drawcard of them all. LOL. What an absolut joke.

Would you believe this is the exact same grass court they played on in Melbourne! They just put it out to pasture for a few months apparently and then resurrected it for this tie.

LOL. It looks like Wimby's SW19 court after the Men's Final. It looks like s**t. Like this tie :p

Looking at the scores in the other ties. Spain took Nadal and Ferrer to an away tie in India. Nadal got Delhi belly and didn't play but talk about a sledgehammer for a walnut.

Del Potro served for the third set against Murray but ended up losing the set and down 2-1 now.

Grrrrr... one thing that annoys me about Groth is the way he lets his emotions out, why let you opponent know you are angry/frustrated with yourself!

Should have won that third set, will be very disappointed if we capitulate from here.

Good win, one of those tie's that it would of been disastrous had we lost. Now we just have to hope for a good draw next year.

Ideally Kokkinakis is fit and playing well. He comes in for Groth and one of Tomic, Kyrgios or Kokkinakis play doubles with Peers. That also gives us some flexibility with the singles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back