Davis Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia vs Argentina Day 1: 10am update

Play has been delayed due to wet surface play now to begin at 10:30am AEST

Currently 12 degrees at Homebush

Todays play

Hewitt vs Coria
followed by Arthurs vs Nalbandian

Lleyton is going to have to win both his singles matches for us to stand a chance. Maybe Athurs has a chance against Coria, but obviously Lleyton is the key. Third set seems to be fading away. Does anyone else think the crowd is rather subdued?

Lleyton Hewitt gives Australia a 1-0 lead.

7/6,6/1,1/6,6/2 in 2 hours and 56 mins

Next Wayne Arthurs vs David Nalbandian

Other World Group Quarter Final Ties

Russia vs France starts at 7pm AEST (Delayed coverage on Fox Sports 2 at 11:30pm)

Slovak Republic vs Netherlands starts at 9pm AEST (Winner of Aus vs Arg tie plays winner of this tie is semi finals)

Croatia vs Romania at 10pm AEST

Nalbandian has won first two sets

6/3,7/6(10/8) in 1 hour 45 mins

3:50pm and the lights on

Delay at the moment due to light rain

Players remaining on court at this time.

Players have left the court with the covers coming on.

If they don't get back by 4:30 they will probably won't come back today which means this match will not be completed until tomorrow.

Drummond said:
Lleyton is going to have to win both his singles matches for us to stand a chance. Maybe Athurs has a chance against Coria, but obviously Lleyton is the key. Third set seems to be fading away. Does anyone else think the crowd is rather subdued?

Are you kidding it was a tinderbox ready to explode. I was waiting for Coria to belt Lley Lley. Shameful antics from Hewitt today. Condoned and encouarged by those moronic fanatics as well. Pathetic.

UNIT said:
Are you kidding it was a tinderbox ready to explode. I was waiting for Coria to belt Lley Lley. Shameful antics from Hewitt today. Condoned and encouarged by those moronic fanatics as well. Pathetic.

Once again I agree entirely with UNIT. God those Fanatics really embarrass the country with their childish antics, and Lley Lley is just as childish on the court. Together those two folks have totally ruined any support I might have had for Australia in the Davis Cup. I'm just indifferent to it all now.
Sigh ... For the days of Pat Rafter. Now there was a class act.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5pm update-The rain has stopped and the covers are off

Inspection shortly on whether or not play will resume tonight. If it does resume Channel 7 will not show it because it is to close to the news at 6pm. I thought they were better than Channel 9.

celtic_pride said:
Once again I agree entirely with UNIT. God those Fanatics really embarrass the country with their childish antics, and Lley Lley is just as childish on the court. Together those two folks have totally ruined any support I might have had for Australia in the Davis Cup. I'm just indifferent to it all now.
Sigh ... For the days of Pat Rafter. Now there was a class act.

In the post match press conference Hewitt went to another level. Accusing Coria of making on court sexual gestures to him (Coria at one point appeared to strain his groin, subsequently he touched his groin region). He also accused Coria of spitting at head fanatic 'Wazza'. Funny how the only person i saw spitting was Hewitt during the change of ends. IMO Coria was a trooper with some of the rubbish he had to put up with today both on the court and in the stands. Today was a shameful day for Aussie tennis. But will John Alexander break ranks, call a spade a spade and say Lleyton needs to grow a brain? Of course not.

Fiery match between Lleyton and Coria..

Jeez each time i see hewitt in action the more i dislike him... Coria is usually a quiet fellow who minds his own business. I think Lleyton embarassed himself once again today...

Picked up a great quote of a report..

"Inside the court you really feel like killing him," Coria said through an interpreter. "He can be the best player in the world and win every tournament, but he cannot behave the way he does. He was abusing the captain, abusing the other players, abusing everybody.

"You can see for yourself. Lleyton cheers for other people's mistakes and is very aggressive. It is very difficult not to feel provoked. But as a person, I would rather not win a single tournament than be like Lleyton."

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=4417

Arsene Wenger said:
Fiery match between Lleyton and Coria..

Jeez each time i see hewitt in action the more i dislike him... Coria is usually a quiet fellow who minds his own business. I think Lleyton embarassed himself once again today...

Picked up a great quote of a report..

"Inside the court you really feel like killing him," Coria said through an interpreter. "He can be the best player in the world and win every tournament, but he cannot behave the way he does. He was abusing the captain, abusing the other players, abusing everybody.

"You can see for yourself. Lleyton cheers for other people's mistakes and is very aggressive. It is very difficult not to feel provoked. But as a person, I would rather not win a single tournament than be like Lleyton."

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=4417

And the Fanatics were loving it... :eek: Lleyton needs a wake up call in human behaviour and sadly he wont get it in this country. Anyone critical of him is just labelled a 'hater of tall poppies' or envious of Sth Australian's. Lleyton your vermin. May you do an ACL.

The Argy bargy spat near the Aussies waterperson.Thats not on.
He also spat towards the ref.
Disgusting habit.

Also why are they able to wuestion nearly every second decision but Leyotn isn't.

You guys are are so biased its shameful.

Poor sportmanship by the Argys.You never ever spit.

campbell said:
The Argy bargy spat near the Aussies waterperson.Thats not on.
He also spat towards the ref.
Disgusting habit.

Also why are they able to wuestion nearly every second decision but Leyotn isn't.

You guys are are so biased its shameful.

Poor sportmanship by the Argys.You never ever spit.

Lleyton was spitting each time they changed ends, each time they passed each other at the net. Did you miss that? He only did it about thirty times.

Ok UNIT and celtic pride, I'll post my private messages on the main board.

“No the crowd didnt pump me up....it embarassed me. Australians shouldnt behave like that”.

That's classic stuff! Honestly, the crowd do everything they can to fire up the Aussies, don't you think it fires Lleyton up so he can perform to his best? Lleyton is so good at the Davis Cup because of the support from the crowd and the fact that he is representing our great country. Take a look at the behaviour of other countries during the davis cup, then maybe you would appreciate the great support the fanatics provide!

"God those Fanatics really embarrass the country with their childish antics, and Lley Lley is just as childish on the court. Together those two folks have totally ruined any support I might have had for Australia in the Davis Cup. I'm just indifferent to it all now. Sigh ... For the days of Pat Rafter. Now there was a class act."

What a pathetic attitude. Lleyton gives EVERYTHING for Australia. Can't you see what effort he pours into the Davis Cup, his record is incredible. Did you not see the Hewitt-Federer Davis Cup game in 2002 or 03? Inspirational. It's morons like you that I cannot understand.

"Shameful antics from Hewitt today. Condoned and encouarged by those moronic fanatics as well. Pathetic."

Shut up you tool, as if the crowd didn't inspire you and fire you up!

How did I know dumb and dumber would appear in this thread?
From Hewitt,

"If the worst thing I can do is say 'Come on,' ... if they think that's bad compared to spitting in the referee's direction," said Hewitt. "He tried to hip and shoulder me at the end of the first set. And he complained the whole day, so I'm not quite sure what his issue is.

"I didn't say a thing to him. I asked him at one stage when he was grabbing his private parts numerous times ... I asked him if he had an issue. I don't think he understands English too well".

Seems to me you need to pull your biased heads out your a**** and in the process, grow some balls you soft co(ks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back