Draft Watcher Davo-27's 2019 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea Gulden is good, hes in the top 5 prospects for me in 2020, but it is very early and have only seen the tip of the iceberg for 2020, Wischnat seems a good prospect for Brisbane but possibly mid draft?

The Suns have a least 5 good prospects for the next two years

WEST V EAST

First Half (WEST 16-59 EAST)- Eastern have had the better of this contest, surprisingly playing good football the whole half instead of just 1 quarter, on the other hand Western have struggled to gain momentum and are 7 goals behind, the best for East are Stapleton, Feagaimalii, Mellis, Downie, Gawel, Hirst and Hourihan, for West Andrews, Honey and Cassar have had decent games

Second Half (WEST 34-97 EAST)- Eastern will be happy with the 4 quarter effort and Western will have to go back to the drawing board, the best for East in the 2nd half in wet conditions were Stapleton, Mellis and Clarke, for West the best in wet conditions were Manton, Kellett and Jeka

overall the best performers imo were
1. Stapleton - East - 25 disp, great game from the midfielder, lots of clearnaces, was easily B.O.G.
2. Mellis - East - 28 disp 3 gls, played forw and mid, was good in wet conditions
3. Hirst - East - 28 disp, fought hard on the wing and had some good runs, good game from him today
4. Gawel - East - 13 disp 1 gl, lively forw for eastern
5. Andrews - West - 19 disp, played well on the inside and outside mid
6. Clarke - East - 12 disp 1 gl, another lively forw who had a good game (underager)
7. Downie - East - 10 disp, provided good rebound from defense (underager)
8. Faegaimalii - East - 12 disp, had a solid first half with good inside work (underager)

special mentions: Gilbee 16 disp, Ross 17 disp, Pretty 20 disp, Ryan 17 disp

Last edited:
The staff at Eastern were very bullish on Mellis & Stapleton as draft prospects before the season started. One of the things I like about Mellis is that he has a few strings to his bow. The versatility of kids like Flanders, Anderson and Mellis is often the thing that sets them apart from other prospects come Nationals where they often get played out of position.

Keep up the good work Davo.

GWV V GEEL

First Half (GWV 26-27 GEEL)- very wet conditions, slippery ball and drizzling all game so its been a game of meters, not much in the way of good footy so hard to judge, just have to spot the occasional good play here and there, but for GWV Herbert has been good and for Geel Stephens, Lazzaro and Karpala have been good so far this half

Second Half (GWV 64-63 GEEL)- clearer game after half time, back to dry weather footy, its been Geelong with the momentum and pushing forward in the 3rd gaining a 20 point lead going into 3/4 time, with Stephens kicking a 50m goal after the siren, GWV came back and took the victory by 1 point, GWV best in the second half were Martin, McEldrew, Craig-Peters, Tillig, Wright, Jorgensen and Wareham, Geelongs best in the last half were Karpala, Lazzaro, Gribble, Stephens, Harris and Rayner, i'll be honest, i dont know how Geelong didnt win, they had the best players and they had most of the poss, but i guess GWV forwards were too efficient?

1. Chas Karpala - Geel - 21 disp 2 gls, what a way to announce yourself, great game from the mid, i was impressed
2. Charlie Lazzaro - Geel - 24 disp, put on another good display for Geelong in a losing team, this underager is legit
3. Cooper Stephens - Geel - 19 disp 1 gl, tried hard all game, got angry when he made mistakes a few times, got a few strong clearances
4. Noah Gribble - Geel - 19 disp, another good underager at Geel, good 2020 prospect
5. Mitch Martin - GWV - 13 disp 1 gl, was involved in a lot of GWV pushes forw, kicked a handy goal
6. Darcy McEldrew - GWV - 7 disp 2 gls, provided a target up forward and was efficient in the low scoring game
7. Charlie Harris - Geel - 18 disp, another Geelong mid who played good footy, if only Geelong had forws who could finish
8. James Cleaver - GWV - 16disp 2 gls, another good performance from the 19 yr old

special mentions: Herbert 21 disp, Rantall 20 disp, Craig-Peters 17 disp, Sprague 21 disp, Clark 18 disp, Bove 20 disp, Rayner 25 disp

Last edited:
GWV V GEEL

First Half (GWV 26-27 GEEL)- very wet conditions, slippery ball and drizzling all game so its been a game of meters, not much in the way of good footy so hard to judge, just have to spot the occasional good play here and there, but for GWV Herbert has been good and for Geel Stephens, Lazzaro and Karpala have been good so far this half

Second Half (GWV - GEEL)-

special mentions:
I went into the game today played in very ordinary conditions and really liked the games of the Falcon's Keidan Rayner and the Rebels Harry Sharp for unheralded players.
Cooper Stephens was good without being really dominant, Lazarro and Christensen both had good games, for the Rebels the two basketballers Liam Herbert and Jay Rantall both look to have ability and James Cleaver had another handy game. Matty Lloyd off early with another injury and poor little Jay Dahlhaus looked to do an ACL I'd think.

I went into the game today played in very ordinary conditions and really liked the games of the Falcon's Keidan Rayner and the Rebels Harry Sharp for unheralded players.
Cooper Stephens was good without being really dominant, Lazarro and Christensen both had good games, for the Rebels the two basketballers Liam Herbert and Jay Rantall both look to have ability and James Cleaver had another handy game. Matty Lloyd off early with another injury and poor little Jay Dahlhaus looked to do an ACL I'd think.

yea Rayner did well running off half back and Lazzaro is looking like a first rounder for 2020, Herbert did well too and i like Cleaver but he just misses being in my best performers both rounds, losing Lloyd and Dahlhaus is a shame, both quality players, Wright was another i liked in spurts, Jorgensen i like in spurts, Craig-Peters was ok again, Bove also did well for Geel, its just other guys do more during the game, i like them, they just do like 3-4 good things Vs the 10 good things others do, you know what i mean? otherwise i'd be listing 1/3 of the players every game instead of the top 20% approx.

CALD V OAK

First Half (CALD 34-28 OAK)- Oakleigh dominated the first quarter through clean disposal and clearances by Rowell and Anderson and tidy play by Schreiber, Phillips and Oglethorp, it was looking like being a long day for Calder until Minton-Connell, Cardillo, Mott and Kemp stood up in the second to give Calder a surprise lead, Oakleigh started to chip the ball around in their defense with a 2 goal lead which was a sign they had switched off a bit and Calder pounced, how Oakleigh gave away that lead makes you scratch your head.

Second Half (CALD 46-69 OAK)- close 3rd quarter with Oakleigh taking the win in the last with Dylan Williams finally playing some good footy and converting a few gls, Oakleighs best were Anderson, Rowell, Ayton-Delaney, Schreiber and Williams, Calders best were Minton-Connell, Mott

1. Noah Anderson - Oak - 37 disp 2 gls, was everywhere another good 4 quarter effort to get his team over the line
2. Matthew Rowell - Oak - 29 disp, along with Anderson the cleanest and best mid in the game
3. Joe Ayton-Delaney - Oak - 17 disp, provided good run and long penetrating kicks
4. Kaden Schreiber - Oak - 16 disp, was busy in mid and half forw, clean disp
5. Harrison Minton-Connell - Cald - 22 disp, was Calders best, battled hard in the mid
6. Dylan Williams - Oak - 10 disp 3 gls, came good in the last quarter, struggling so far in 2019
7. Will Phillips - Oak - 16 disp, shows a bit of agility and speed, good prospect next yr(underager)
8. Lochlan Jenkins - Oak - 16 disp, goes in hard and loves a tackle(underager)
9. Daniel Mott - Cald - 13 disp, played as a tagger on the big 2, did alright
10. Josh Kemp - Cald - 9 disp 3 gls, did well for a team that doesnt give their forws clean ball, 19 yr old
11. Jackson Cardillo - Cald - 11 disp, long sleeves stood out, competed well(underager)

special mentions: Brown 16, Newman 19, Oglethorp 16, Johnson 28 1gl, Macrae 19

Last edited:
theres been a few changes from pre-season, some players have been disappointing and some others have come from nowhere or sky rocketed up the rankings, the changes from pre-season are.

IN: Dean (Sand), Dow (Bend), Stapleton (East), Karpala (Geel), Ayton-Delaney (Oak), Mead (WWT), Fitzgerald (Bend), Lewis (Sand), Davies (North)
OUT: Potter(North), Mott (Cald), Rossiter (East), Dahlhaus (Geel), Rocci (West), Westwood (Oak), Riordan (Dand), Chandler (Murr), Baldi (Gipps)

my April top 40 *UPDATED OP*

1. Matt Rowell (Oak)
2. Noah Anderson (Oak)
3. Tom Green (GWS A) GWS A
4. Mitch O'Neill (TAS)
5. Dylan Williams (Oak)
6. Cameron Taheny (Norw)
7. Lachlan Ash (Murr)
8. Caleb Serong (Gipps)
9. Jeremy Sharp (East Fre)
10. Will Gould (Glenlg)
11. Thomson Dow (Bend)
12. Jack Mahony (Sand)
13. Sam Flanders (Gipps)
14. Ryan Byrnes (Sand)
15. Charlie Dean (Sand)
16. Brodie Kemp (Bend)
17. Cooper Stephens (Geel)
18. Hayden Young (Dand)
19. Ned Cahill (Dand)
20. Dylan Stephens (Norw)
21. Luke Jackson (East Fre)
22. Flynn Perez (Bend) ACL Inj
23. Ryan Gardner (North)
24. Lachlan Stapleton (East)
25. Chas Karpala (Geel)
26. Liam Delahunty (GWS A) GWS A
27. Deven Robertson (Perth)
28. Mitch Georgiades (Subi)
29. Mitch Martin (GWV)
30. Finn Maginness (Sand) Haw F/S
31. Joe Ayton-Delaney (Oak)
32. Conor Budarick (GCS A) GCS A
33. Trent Bianco (Oak)
34. Emerson Jeka (West)
35. Jackson Mead (WWT) Port F/S
36. Mitch Mellis (East)
37. Josh Worrell (Sand)
38. Logan Fitzgerald (Bend)
39. Jackson Davies (North)
40. Oscar Lewis (Sand)

Last edited:
mahony being so high in your ranking concerns me of the draft class..sturgrass to me has more scope.

theres been a few changes from pre-season, some players have been disappointing and some others have come from nowhere or sky rocketed up the rankings, the changes from pre-season are.

IN: Dean (Sand), Dow (Bend), Stapleton (East), Karpala (Geel), Ayton-Delaney (Oak), Mead (WWT), Fitzgerald (Bend) Collins (TAS)
OUT: Potter(North), Mott (Cald), Rossiter (East), Dahlhaus (Geel), Rocci (West), Westwood (Oak), Riordan (Dand) Chandler (Murr)

my April top 40 *UPDATED OP*

1. Matt Rowell (Oak)
2. Noah Anderson (Oak)
3. Tom Green (GWS A) GWS A
4. Mitch O'Neill (TAS)
5. Dylan Williams (Oak)
6. Cameron Taheny (Norw)
7. Lachlan Ash (Murr)
8. Caleb Serong (Gipps)
9. Jeremy Sharp (East Fre)
10. Will Gould (Glenlg)
11. Thomson Dow (Bend)
12. Jack Mahony (Sand)
13. Sam Flanders (Gipps)
14. Ryan Byrnes (Sand)
15. Charlie Dean (Sand)
16. Brodie Kemp (Bend)
17. Cooper Stephens (Geel)
18. Hayden Young (Dand)
19. Ned Cahill (Dand)
20. Dylan Stephens (Norw)
21. Luke Jackson (East Fre)
22. Flynn Perez (Bend) ACL Inj
23. Ryan Gardner (North)
24. Lachlan Stapleton (East)
25. Chas Karpala (Geel)
26. Liam Delahunty (GWS A) GWS A
27. Deven Robertson (Perth)
28. Mitch Georgiades (Subi)
29. Mitch Martin (GWV)
30. Finn Maginness (Sand) Haw F/S
31. Joe Ayton-Delaney (Oak)
32. Conor Budarick (GCS A) GCS A
33. Trent Bianco (Oak)
34. Emerson Jeka (West)
35. Jackson Mead (WWT) Port F/S
36. Mitch Mellis (East)
37. Josh Worrell (Sand)
38. Logan Fitzgerald (Bend)
39. Jackson Davies (North)
40. Sam Collins (TAS)
sam collins is 17 his draft is 2020

O'Neill didn't have the best of games see him sliding

yea, but similar to Dylan Williams and a few others that havnt had a great start to 2019, but has the runs on the board from 2018, his disposal is elite, he is a good player, his 30 poss games are better than most, he just lacks work rate which is a concern, but he does have talent.

so far this year:

under par - O'Neill, D.Williams, B.Kemp, C.Stephens, Young, Cahill, L.Potter, Rossiter, Chandler

par - everyone else

good form/improving position - Dean, Dow, Stapleton, Karpala, Anderson, Gould, Ash

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

to
yea, but similar to Dylan Williams and a few others that havnt had a great start to 2019, but has the runs on the board from 2018, his disposal is elite, he is a good player, his 30 poss games are better than most, he just lacks work rate which is a concern, but he does have talent.

so far this year:

under par - O'Neill, D.Williams, B.Kemp, C.Stephens, Young, Cahill, L.Potter, Rossiter, Chandler

par - everyone else

big improver - Dean, Dow, Stapleton, Karpala, Anderson, Gould,

so far this year:

par - everyone else

good form/improving position - Dean, Dow, Stapleton, Karpala, Anderson, Gould
to be fair it was his first game of the year and you cant judge off one game heard he didn't start running until February so didn't have a preseason and looking hat his stats had 9 tackles and 20 possessions thats not bad game but i agree hes a bit lazy when watching him but maybe thats fitness

1 player that really disappointed me was Lachlan Potter from Northern Knights, i saw him last year and thought he could be a good wing/hbf option, then in round 1 he played exactly the same as Billy Hartung, going for runs not worrying about hitting up a team mate, running himself into trouble, ect ect and i thought nope he goes down the list, then he wasnt selected for round 2 so i think he lost his way a bit, i hope he can find his way because if he goes down the track of trying to impress everyone with his selfish footy instead of playing a team game he is only going to hurt his chances imo.

so far this year:

par - everyone else

good form/improving position - Dean, Dow, Stapleton, Karpala, Anderson, Gould, Ash
Dylan Williams [2019] shaping as the Curtis Taylor [2018] of this year's draft?

Curious as to where Ralphsmith, Watts, Bowman and Bergman rank for you?

Ralphsmith is on the borderline of my top 40, i liked his game this weekend
Watts is a decent tall prospect but with Sandy dominating games he doesnt see much action, he is a good player though
Bergman i like but he needs to get involved in the play more and kick goals, but he has talent
Bowman i wasnt a fan last season and he looks similar to last season, might be a late pick for someone looking for a KPP project?

Ralphsmith is on the borderline of my top 40, i liked his game this weekend
Watts is a decent tall prospect but with Sandy dominating games he doesnt see much action, he is a good player though
Bergman i like but he needs to get involved in the play more and kick goals, but he has talent
Bowman i wasnt a fan last season and he looks similar to last season, might be a late pick for someone looking for a KPP project?

Thanks Davo, another one from sandy I liked was McAsey but assume he is the same as watts and hasn’t had much action being down back

What about the northern academy’s Martyn, Gore, Wischart and Crosseley all who had big games on the weekend

Last edited:
What about the northern academy’s Martyn, Gore, Wischart and Crosseley all who had big games on the weekend

i have O'Neill, Green, Delahunty and Budarick in my top 40, i didnt see the GCS V NT game yet, i liked the look of Barling, Wischnat, Breville and Murray + Gulden and Collins looks good for 2020, thats my position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back