Draft Expert Davo-27's 2021 u18 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of bottom aged talent running around more so than class of 21.

Sacred Heart in particular with Jaiden Magor and Kobe Ryan. They also have Jacob Lochowiak who I think is a Crows NGA this year.

Other bottom agers- Max Michaelanny for Rostrevor making a fair splash shutting Ferres out of a game recently.

Max Blacker, Tyson Walls having good seasons as is Brad Jefferies. Brad is a 21 class, not without a chance after playing well for Sturt also.

Phoenix Foster also one to watch next year.

Looks like SA will be well represented again next year.
I think that this years KPP depth is very shallow and so a 3rd tall like Ferres will have to contend with good KPPs from next year ect at school footy and it could hinder his affectiveness? Thats why last years pool was so important with so many KPP and ruck talent for clubs to stock up on.

I think that this years KPP depth is very shallow and so a 3rd tall like Ferres will have to contend with good KPPs from next year ect at school footy and it could hinder his affectiveness? Thats why last years pool was so important with so many KPP and ruck talent for clubs to stock up on.
Yes I think that’s a good observation. The other thing to note is the power in school college footy now in SA is held between 4 schools - Sacred Heart, St Peter’s, Rostrevor and Prince Alfred.

The gap between those 4 and all the others now is a chasm. So any good performances you see, unless it’s 2 of those 4 playing each other, is unlikely to hold much value. Some kids Bob up from the other schools now and then - but unless it’s playing against one of those 4, there’s not much value.

Who are the best of the overages in this years draft ?
Most of the best overagers got picked up in the MSD, the ones remaining that I like are Luke Cleary (Sand), Chance Doultree (Gipps), Joel Trudgeon (North), Noah Gribble (Geel), Dylan Thomas (Oakleigh) off the top of my head, whether any get recruited is anyones guess?

A couple of weeks ago i saw that the inspirational speaker who has been credited with improving mental strength at richmond over the years was doing work with an APS team in Melbourne and one of the kids who was interviewed was Luca MacNabb and i thought to myself "he is already an under the radar talent from Sandringham and this can only add value to his stocks from my PoV".

A couple of weeks ago i saw that the inspirational speaker who has been credited with improving mental strength at richmond over the years was doing work with an APS team in Melbourne and one of the kids who was interviewed was Luca MacNabb and i thought to myself "he is already an under the radar talent from Sandringham and this can only add value to his stocks from my PoV".

Do you mean Ben Crowe?

Calder is the one team i have seen the least of so at this stage i dont have a great read of their players other than a couple that i like, im hopeful of seeing more Calder games soon and he is one im interested in seeing.
Not missing much from Calder this year. Josh Goater and Zac Taylor look the only players that will make the 19s Metro squad and maybe Jack Newitt and Matt Weber. A few good 17s though if they play are Paul Pascu and Caleb Burquest.

Not missing much from Calder this year. Josh Goater and Zac Taylor look the only players that will make the 19s Metro squad and maybe Jack Newitt and Matt Weber. A few good 17s though if they play are Paul Pascu and Caleb Burquest.
Hey gurus, Any ideas if NAB league is returning this weekend ? Did they reshuffle the fixture to not lose games during restrictions or did they cancel the games over the last couple of weekends ? Only one game scheduled this weekend (Bushrangers Vs Tassie) ...Want to see more Dragons games who seem to have a lot of elite talent this year (Callaghan, Sinn, Chesser) ..
Wondering if VFL is back also, any ideas ?

Declan Wilmore and Isaac Cullen also to debut in the next few rounds hopefully, looking like a decent crop for 2022 from Calder early on

Hey gurus, Any ideas if NAB league is returning this weekend ? Did they reshuffle the fixture to not lose games during restrictions or did they cancel the games over the last couple of weekends ? Only one game scheduled this weekend (Bushrangers Vs Tassie) ...Want to see more Dragons games who seem to have a lot of elite talent this year (Callaghan, Sinn, Chesser) ..
Wondering if VFL is back also, any ideas ?
VFL/VFLW will play this weekend, NAB League looks like it'll be restructured to have some week night fixtures of the next few weeks similar to the NAB League Girls after the feburary lockdown

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Declan Wilmore and Isaac Cullen also to debut in the next few rounds hopefully, looking like a decent crop for 2022 from Calder early on

Another name I've seen from the 2022 Calder Cannons crop is Matthew Stephenson.

If Hawthorn end up second last or third last i think our targets would probably boil down to 4 options, the 3 Sandringham mids Chesser, Sinn or Callaghan and a darkhorse in Erasmus, thats what i think atm, but im waiting for finals and champs because a few things change as the draftees get tested by these pressure events.

Top 20 update

1. Jason Horne - i still have him as pick 1, i just like his physicality and readiness that he has shown in the sanfl, he could have better production to make it a certainty, i have a funny feeling Daicos might be bid at pick 1 anyway as a way to make them pay and theres very little between them so i think its the most likely outcome (Daicos being bid at 1 even though he isnt the clear best, similar to how JUH wasnt clear best and went at 1 imo)

2. Nick Daicos - love his production, whether it be NAB League, school footy or the VFL game, he hunts the ball and is clean with disposal, he is also impressive at goal kicking, has few flaws and will likely be bid at 1 as i have previously pointed out as he is on equal standing with Horne imo and North would be happy with either.

this is where it gets complicated because there is a group of guys who could go from 3-10 and its hard to separate them at this stage, but i will put out who i think could go where

3. Matthew Roberts - unfortunately injured himself recently, i have liked his form in the sanfl quite a bit, strong bodied, moves like a Treloar, long left foot kick and is equally a natural forward as he is a midfielder, so has flexibility in position, can burst out of the centre or mark on the lead, theres a lot to like about his footy imo.

4. Josh Rachele - i loved his form in 2019 and so far has been good for Murray and was a stand out in an otherwise poor day for the AFL Academy with a 55m goal and some tough contested possessions that highlighted his competitiveness and ability to step up to the level, as a small forward he is more likely to go 5-10, but i like him as the 4th best at this stage pre-champs

5. Josh Sinn - i have been critical of his kicking accuracy at times, but his speed, run and carry and contested marks for a wing/hbf are really impressive, i remember liking Isaac Smith a lot prior to his draft year and there are similarities with Josh Sinn to his game, tall wings/hbf who have penetrating kicks, both good endurance, both good production in that they know how to get the ball a lot and both are goal kicking wings which gives them scoring power to their games when they go forward, also both can line break and kick over set defences, but both lack a bit of contested and defensive game as in tackling ect, very similar types imo

6. Josh Fahey - i have him here mostly off of his AFL Academy game where he was the best performing Academy player from my PoV, his courage, defensive work as well as his run and carry were highlights of a dour game for the Academy, he not only stepped up to the VFL competitive standard but looked like he was better than most of his opponents as a 17 year old, which is why i think he will go top 10 somewhere.

7. Campbell Chesser - a player i have only seen in a couple of games, but i have liked what i have seen of him, composed and clean, i would like to see more to solidify my read, but a classy player for Sandringham

8. Neil Erasmus - a player i really liked from his WAFL Colts performance last year IN 2020 and knew he was something special straight away, since then he has taken the WAFL Colts by storm and put in one of the better performances in the AFL Academy game where his strong marking and clean disposal was on show for all to see, i liken him to Mark Le Cras from WCE in years gone by, but now that he is adding a midfield side to his game he could be anything.

9. Finn Callaghan - from round 1 he has stood out as a quality player, i like his evasiveness on field, his quality disposal, his run and carry, similar in stature to Sinn both around 189cm and a similar weight, Callaghan is more the pure midfielder where he has tricks and skills that work better, but Sinn has that burst and athletic power that puts him ahead at this stage i think.

10. Matthew Johnson - i really like this tall midfielder from WA, he was also a player that stood out in the WAFL Colts GF last year, as well as winning some important poss in the AFL Academy game, his debut in the WAFL was decent as a half back, but its not his natural position and so he didnt get impressive numbers, but i liked how he handled himself nonetheless, has gone back to Colts and seems to be doing better playing in his natural position as inside mid who can roam.

11. Sam Darcy - he is the flavour of the month it seems, in the first NAB League game i saw him play he wasnt one of the best or got a lot of the ball, but i noted that he kicked a wonderful goal and that he moved well, the next game which i saw was when he absolutely dominated the air from half back, marking everything and dominating the air, since then he has dominated school footy kicking 5,4,5 goals in each game i believe, he has the stature of a King Brother, but im unsure on his speed, which could hold him back from being a top 5 pick imo.

12. Tyler Sonsie - this is controversial because everyone else has him as pick 3 it seems, to me he seems a mix between Jack Billings and Jade Gresham, small goal kicking mid/forw that is more outside than inside, i like his goal kicking, i like his outside HR play, his disposal was a bit disappointing at times for me in the few games i have seen as well as the disappointment of his performance in the AFL Academy game compared to his peers, his VFL game was average other than his 2 wonderful goals and a good tackle in the 4th quarter, he kicked the ball to grass too often for my liking and seemed to get spooked in the AFL Academy game ducking a marking effort when no one was near him late in the game, which makes me wonder if he has some fears in contested situations, but he has heaps of talent and no one can deny that.

13. Ned Long - strong bodied mid/forw, he has been impressive for Northern in every game i have seen, his disposal is good, he is strong in the contest, when he goes forward he kicks bags of goals, theres no flaws i can see so far in his game, he is the type Richmond loves to recruit, hard, honest and contested.

14. Sam Banks - i really like Banks' athletic qualities as well as his disposal, run and carry and when he goes forward his goal kicking, he has played mostly half back this year and hurt his arm, but he looks like the 3rd best outside player in a year where mids are the flavour of the 2021 draft.

15. Jack Williams - seems to be having a good year in the WAFL Colts this year, i liked his lead and goal in the AFL Academy game, good lead, mark, goal type forward, with the lack of KPPs of substance, he is likely to go first round

16. Jacob Van Rooyen - another KPF from WA, i really liked his game last year again in the WAFL Colts GF, where he led all day and took some wonderful marks, has struggled to impact the WAFL this year and has been diagnosed with glandular fever i believe? so hopefully we see more of him later in the year with better form

17. Toby Conway - i have really liked the games i have seen him play, for Geelong he is just a dominant ruckman and his around the ground work is really good, in the AFL Academy game i thought he was quite good as the around the ground ruck behind Ned Moyle who took the main ruck spot, i thought Conway was good even though that game was rough for the Academy.

18. Morgan Ferres - more of a 3rd tall forward, he has a good style to how he plays, good lead and mark and can kick a bag of goals which is important, one of a good crop of SA kids popping up recently

19. Cooper Hamilton - solidly built midfielder, i have liked his games for Bendigo and his AFL Academy game form, he always seems to win a bunch of poss and is a solid distributor of the footy

20. Connor MacDonald - another one i spotted in round 1 as a type i wanted to see more of, has been very impressive and is a good mark for his size.

How would you compare Cooper Hamilton to his twin brother Hugh?

they look similar but play completely different roles, Hugh is more a medium forward and Cooper is more a strong mid, Cooper wins more of it obviously and has more flexibility being a midfielder, i liked him a lot in the AFL Academy game and it seems like i was the only one, Hugh i have liked in patches as a forward, another i like as a prospect, i took him late in the Phantom so i like him a bit too.

i was wanting to take Cooper in the Phantom as well but Pete beat me to it.

Last edited:
they look similar but play completely different roles, Hugh is more a medium forward and Cooper is more a strong mid, Cooper wins more of it obviously and has more flexibility being a midfielder, i liked him a lot in the AFL Academy game and it seems like i was the only one, Hugh i have liked in patches as a forward, another i like as a prospect, i took him late in the Phantom so i like him a bit too.

i was wanting to take Cooper in the Phantom as well but Pete beat me to it.
So I don't mean this as a shot at you, but with the ball winning, Hugh has had more touches than Cooper in all games bar 1 this year in NAB League

So I don't mean this as a shot at you, but with the ball winning, Hugh has had more touches than Cooper in all games bar 1 this year in NAB League
if thats true, good for him.

the last thing i tend to look at is stats.

in order i look at how they play, then i get their height and weight maybe their date of birth, then see if they have been invited to a rep team ect, then stats if i can to see if i am over or under rating their production, obviously opposite to some, but its how i do things, so you will always know their stats before i do as its just a confirmation of production for me.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back