Draft Expert Davo-27's 2022 u18 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so rewatched the AFL Academy game, it was a good game, you could see some of the youngsters picked up the pace really quickly and improve their ratings, meanwhile a small handful im going to have to see more of and hope they improve their output.

Will Ashcroft - from my PoV he was the best player on the ground for the Academy, playing a solid 4 quarter game, winning contested ball and playing with blistering speed, you can tell he has played at the level, because he was comfortable playing against men.

Jhye Clark - he was huge for most of the game, especially early, clean hands and executing smart disposals, he was also playing at a good pace and improved his rating from my PoV

George Wardlaw - he had a tale of 2 halves, his first was average and his 2nd was inspirational, all game he tackled like a beast and i think he was rewarded with about 4-5 htb frees or advantage play on's for his team(Ashcroft got his goal from 1 such play on), his burst of energy and speed in the 2nd half really helped them fire up and get good momentum, if not for his average first half he would've been clearly the best player on the ground.

Anthony Munkara - really showed some spark up forward, taking nice grabs, hitting some sharp passes, running onto a ball forward and kicking a goal, 1 play where he broke a tackle from a guy bigger than himself and snapped from the boundary where it landed 1m into an opponents lap from being a goal, he is tall, quick, agile, clever, has great goal sense, just a real exciting X-Factor talent.

Jed Hagan - had a few intercept marks and disposals down the line from the back half, made 1 error in which he turned the ball over which cost them a goal, but his overall steady and composed delivery from defence was a positive, i think he boosted his draft profile a little with that performance, it reminded me of how he played in the u19's off of half back in 2021 for a dominant WA side.

The Bad

Al Davey Jnr - had a few moments, but really didnt raise his draft profile much, i still think early-mid 2nd round is where he is at
Luke Teal - on 2nd viewing he made 2 errors and didnt do much when he had the ball, i have liked his past performances so willing to give it a pass
Jason Gilbee - 4 errors, thats a worry, he gets it a bit, but i even noticed for Bendigo he makes a fair few errors, which is an issue
Harry Lemmey - barely in the game, im guessing he was on the bench a bit, but even when he was on field, he was a liability, i think im justified in dropping him a few places.
You would think he’s games for the Lions VFL side helped to adapt to the game against Collingwood he played 2 impressive games for the Lions

Just curious, how do you view the comparative strength of the draft classes? 2022 vs 2023.

Just curious, how do you view the comparative strength of the draft classes? 2022 vs 2023.

have not seen as much of the 2023 draft class as i have the 2022 crop, theres a top group of players mainly sml/medium forwards which is unique

Top Tier:
Jack Delean - sml/med forw, top quality forward, has been called the next Isaac Heeney
Nick Watson - sml forw, amazingly gifted 168cm forward, tough, has great goal sense, seems to have good endurance too?
Nate Caddy - medium forward, might grow into a KPF? i think he is 192cm?
Harley Reid - med forw, an amazing talent, just has accuracy problems
Daniel Curtin - KPD, high quality tall defender from WA
Ashton Moir - forw/mid

2nd Tier (very early to tell):
Jed Walters - KPF (GCS A) depends on development, might be top tier? athletic tall forward
Rhley Sanders - mid, bit below expectations at Sandy, but the tassie kid has some good traits
George Stevens - mid/forw, played well in the u17 champs
Caleb Windsor - mid, has really shun in the NAB League for the Eastern Ranges
Archie Roberts - wing, quick and skillful wing/mid, has been a standout for Sandy
Zane Duursma - wing/mid, has had a couple of big games for Gipps
Sam Frangalas - mid/forw, i really like him when he is on, good strong kid too from Dand
Oliver Badr - mid, talented Oakleigh mid
Nathan Philactides - hbf, talented Oakleigh half back

this top 6 seem to be pretty clear atm, but things will change as time goes on, as you can see the top 6 has 5 med/sml forwards and a KPD, Jed Walters could rise as he is a KPF and they tend to get drafted at the top of their range, lacking top midfielders atm, but some just outside the top tier may rise up into that group if they perform well in the next 18 months?

Last edited:

have not seen as much of the 2023 draft class as i have the 2022 crop, theres a top group of players mainly sml/medium forwards which is unique

Top Tier:
Jack Delean - sml/med forw, top quality forward, has been called the next Isaac Heeney
Nick Watson - sml forw, amazingly gifted 168cm forward, tough, has great goal sense, seems to have good endurance too?
Ashton Moir - forw/mid

Jed Walters - KPF (GCS A) depends on development, might be top tier? athletic tall forward
Rhley Sanders - mid, bit below expectations at Sandy, but the tassie kid has some good traits
Archie Roberts - wing, quick and skillful wing/mid, has been a standout for Sandy
Sam Frangalas - mid/forw, i really like him when he is on, good strong kid too from Dand

this top 6 seem to be pretty clear atm, but things will change as time goes on, as you can see the top 6 has 5 med/sml forwards and a KPD, Jed Walters could rise as he is a KPF and they tend to get drafted at the top of their range, lacking top midfielders atm, but some just outside the top tier may rise up into that group if they perform well in the next 18 months?
Curtin isn't the WA number 1. Koltyn Tholstrup has taken than mantle....both are top 5 national

Top Tier:
Ashton Moir - forw/mid

Surprised you don’t have Koltyn Tholstrup in your top tier from WA. Another forward.

Curtin isn't the WA number 1. Koltyn Tholstrup has taken than mantle....both are top 5 national

im not as sold on Koltyn Tholstrup as you are, i thought he was a bit messy as a midfielder in the u17's, although he does know how to find the ball, also 16 goals in 6 games is good so i hope to catch more of his forward craft, atm i still dont think he is as good of a forward as the other 5 i mentioned.

I've heard people saying Culley would go in the 20's in this years draft...is that bs or do you think that would be the case?

Top Tier:
Ashton Moir - forw/mid

I do wonder about the growth and changing roles of some of these players. Do you think Reid will end up as a mid?

Zane Duursma is 188cm at 16. He will probably grow beyond 190cm easily. What would his position be? Wing? 3rd tall? Mid?

What is your opinion of Colby McKercher?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do wonder about the growth and changing roles of some of these players. Do you think Reid will end up as a mid?

Zane Duursma is 188cm at 16. He will probably grow beyond 190cm easily. What would his position be? Wing? 3rd tall? Mid?

What is your opinion of Colby McKercher?

Reid i think is very much a forward, he has mainly played forward pocket, half forward and stints in the middle, he has been solid in his underage year and can be dynamic with a great leap, smart body use in the contest and decent disposal, he is playing for the worst team in the NAB League this year so is struggling to impact as much as he could than if he could have the luxury of playing in the forward line and kicking goals in a better team.

Zane Duursma is likely to be a wing/mid at the next level, kicked 6 goals in 1 game this year as well i believe.

Colby McKercher i put down as 1 to watch from Tasmania, i cant remember him as much as others as games can blur at times, i'll need to refresh as to why i put him down as 1 to watch, so many kids to keep track of...

Top Tier:
Ashton Moir - forw/mid

I think this is a great observation so far. I also think we will see all these boys in the u17 carnival later this year, including the game GF day. Keen to see the state squads so we can see who the AFL clubs have their eyes on.

I think this is a great observation so far. I also think we will see all these boys in the u17 carnival later this year, including the game GF day. Keen to see the state squads so we can see who the AFL clubs have their eyes on.

Reid has played mainly mid rotating forward all season. Duursma has not played on the wing at any stage this year. He has been forward. Just moved into the midfield for Gippsland last week.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reid has played mainly mid rotating forward all season. Duursma has not played on the wing at any stage this year. He has been forward. Just moved into the midfield for Gippsland last week.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

in their underage year they are played out of position usually as draft year talent get dibs on their positions to try and get drafted, Duursma should be a wing/mid and Reid should be playing more forward as thats their natural roles imo.

SA 4.9 - 33
NSW 8.9 - 57

NSW were the stronger team all game, which is a good sign for the Allies and Tasmania are 6-2 in the NAB League so the Allies might be better than we first thought? i knew SA were a bit weak after they got beaten by WA last year in their series' but i didnt think they would lose so comfortably to NSW at home, SA missing Lemmey, Michaelanny, J.Ryan and Delean with NSW missing both their rucks Madden, May and Gilbee

best players from my PoV
1. Angus Anderson (NSW) - did a lot of the tough inside ball winning and feeding team mates, had a great 4 quarter game
2. Harry Rowston (NSW) - good penetration on his kicks, providing drive from the midfield
3. Luca Giacometti (NSW) - was the half back counter attacking weapon
4. Felix Rogers (NSW) - wasted a lot of disposals, but ended with 3 goals and creating a few other chances for team mates
5. William Edwards (NSW) - the KPD playing ruck and showing his strength and athleticism(speed) to completely over-shadow Harry Barnett in the ruck and around the ground
6. Ethan Grace (NSW)
7. Jaiden Magor (SA)
8. Isaac Keeler (SA)
9. Adam D'Aloia (SA)
10. Billy Dowling (SA)
11. Angus Curry (NSW)

SA - Matthaes Phillipou looked good when he came on in the 2nd half bursting out of the center clearance and providing some good i50's, Thomas Scully struggled all game, i think he had a couple of shots at goal for 2 behinds?(a shot from 40m falling short), Magor and Keeler had much better games and slightly improved their rankings i think, Dowling showed a bit of talent kicking 2 goals.

NSW - theres some good depth and spirit amongst the NSW team, they were better skilled, tougher, better in the contest, just over powered SA, Anderson should get drafted, he is really good, 19 year old in the Syd A system, then you have Rowston and Lawrence who are also big bodies and play good footy and could get drafted by GWS A, Will Edwards was a player i liked at KPD this year, but he stepped up into the ruck and embarrassed SA's big men, then theres a few others who provide a lot of spark for NSW like Curry and Ball in mid, Fellows, Miller and Rogers up forward ect

players that were a little disappointing - Blake Hansen, Harry Barnett, Thomas Scully(has some athletic qualities, but outplayed for most of the game), Luke Lawrence (was just ok, he usually plays to a higher level)

Last edited:
June Top 50 update - before Championships

1. Will Ashcroft - Sand - 180cm (Bris F/S?)
2. George Wardlaw - Oak - 182cm
3. Jhye Clark - Geel - 180cm
4. Elijah Tsatas - Oak - 188cm
5. Elijah Hewett - Swan Dist - 186cm
6. Jedd Busslinger - East Perth - 197cm
7. Anthony Munkara - West Adel - 190cm (Ess NGA?)
8. Harry Sheezel - Sand - 184cm
9. Isaac Keeler - Nth Adel - 197cm (Adel NGA?)
10. Adam D'Aloia - WWT - 181cm
11. Aaron Cadman - GWV - 194cm
12. Tom Scully - West Adel - 204cm
13. Oliver Hollands - Murr - 183cm
14. Jackson Broadbent - Peel - 201cm
15. Harry Lemmey - West Adel - 199cm
16. Brayden George - Murr - 185cm
17. Mattaes Phillipou - WWT - 192cm
18. Kane Bevan - West Perth - 192cm
19. Kobe Ryan - West Adel - 183cm
20. Jed Hagan - East Frem - 175cm
21. Mitch Szybkowski - Dand - 186cm
22. Olivier Northam - Geel - 195cm
23. Lachlan Cowan - Tas - 188cm
24. Matthew Jefferson - Oak - 195cm
25. Henry Hustwaite - Dand - 194cm
26. Max Clohesy - Murr - 179cm
27. Bailey Humphrey - Gipps - 184cm
28. Seth Campbell - Tas - 182cm
29. Taj Campbell-Farrell - Dand - 185cm
30. Jaspa Fletcher - Bris A - 184cm (Bris F/S +A)
31. Luke Teal - Oak - 191cm
32. Al Davey Jnr - Oak - 181cm (Ess F/S)
33. Ted Clohesy - Geel - 182cm (Geel NGA?)
34. Charlie Clarke - Sand - 182cm
35. Cam MacKenzie - Sand - 187cm (St K NGA?)
36. Josh Weddle - Oak - 192cm
37. Max Michaelanny - Norw - 190cm (Adel F/S?)
38. Lewis Hayes - East - 197cm
39. Nick Madden - GWS A - 204cm (GWS A)
40. Will Dowling - Nth Adel - 187cm
41. Jaxon Binns - Dand - 182cm
42. Jaiden Magor - Sth Adel - 184cm
43. Jonti Schuback - Gipps - 183cm
44. Rye Penny - Cald - 185cm
45. Harry Rowston - GWS A - 183cm (GWS A)
46. James Van Es - GWV - 196cm
47. Blake Drury - Oak - 178cm
48. Luke Michael - West Perth - 186cm
49. Cooper Harvey - North - 180cm (North F/S)
50. Steely Green - Sth Frem - 178cm

lacking a bit of vision of WA prospects to remind me of how they were last year, but the likes of Sam Gilbey, Ed Allan, Darcy Jones, Jack Cleaver, Jacob Evitt and Conrad Williams could potentially break into the top 50 after more viewing.

Last edited:
What is it about Alwyn Jnr that makes you think he'll get bid on later? 32 seems low (im not complaining tbh),
i think Davey Jnr has some good traits, but his performances are not great overall and to be a 1st rounder i think you need to be something special, i tend to judge players on potential and performance, rather than on speculative potential only, if you want a bid at pick 15-20 im sure a club will oblige

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back