Draft Expert Davo-27's 2022 u18 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
watched most of the AFL Academy Vs Collingwood VFL game, thought it went as expected for the most part, except for a few players who were a bit flat

Midfield: Wardlaw, Ashcroft, Clark and Szybkowski played good games fitting in well with the pace, Tsatas was good without starring, Fletcher showed some speed and good positioning at times, D'Aloia did really well in the centre and is more than just a centre clearance player, Hollands did quite well under pressure also, Hewett was not at his best, Davey also not at his best.

Forwards: Munkara was the star in the forwardline, i thought Scully showed a bit in the first quarter or 2 when he was part time rucking and then floating forward to take marks, but not as outstanding as i would expect from a top 10 pick, Lemmey also had a poor day and questions about being top 5 might be asked?, Sheezel also had a quiet day, he can be up and down a bit, Jefferson and Cadman lead and gave them structure,

Defenders: Teal was impressive, but i knew that already, Michaelanny and Busslinger were solid on the tall opponents, Hustwaite was probably the best and most versatile KPD, Cowan had a penetrating kick from defence all game, Gillbee got poss a lot, but probably turned over/fumbled/brain faded about 5-10 times during the game.

i'll need to rewatch it again.
Good write up Davo. Who stood out from your eyes from the mids in terms of center clearances and contested possession? The kid with the polish name looked ok in there from the small bit i saw

Good write up Davo. Who stood out from your eyes from the mids in terms of center clearances and contested possession? The kid with the polish name looked ok in there from the small bit i saw
i've always liked Wardlaw and the way he attacks the contest, reminds me of JHF from last year, that kind of attack on the footy/the man is always great to watch, so he is a standout in the contests, another i thought stood out in the contests with bursts of power and clean hands was Jhye Clark, i really like how when he enters the contest how clean he is and how strong he goes at a contest, Ashcroft also showed some clean heels when he got the ball was always in motion, which is a good trait to have in the midfield, creating separation and then getting into space for cleaner delivery, Szybkowski played the tough contested inside mid role, where he used his big body to block out opponents and then get the ball to then feed others in space, D'Aloia also had his moments where he did the tough stuff like Szybkowski, but also got on the outside with some run.

Jhye Clark i thought improved his stocks the most, most people are saying Wardlaw was BOG and firming as number 1, Ashcroft also is firming as a top 3 pick, i think Clark is closing the gap, maybe questions on Lemmey and Scully being so high, i liked what i saw from Scully, so much better than last years performances, he is surprisingly agile and able to win the ground ball for someone so tall, but playing against real opponents kind've ruined his 7 goal average, Lemmey had some moments, but if you're a top 5 pick you are under pressure to perform imo(whether at u18 level or AFL level) and he wasnt involved as much as you would want him involved in the play.

Is the top 5 picks in this draft strong?

Is it a weak/strong draft?

i have liked what i have seen from this group last year in the u17's and so far this year, i think if you make the right selections theres plenty of talent.

just have a look at peoples u18's rankings to see who might go where? mine is in the Opening Post of this thread, i think it's a decent draft, the games between the states at u17's and u19's with this years talent has been impressive.

if WCE have pick 1 i think George Wardlaw might be too good to pass up.

Top 50 Rankings - update (May 23rd)

1. George Wardlaw - Oak - 182cm
2. Will Ashcroft - Sand - 180cm (Bris F/S?)
3. Jhye Clark - Geel - 180cm
4. Elijah Tsatas - Oak - 188cm
5. Elijah Hewett - Swan Dist - 186cm
6. Adam D'Aloia - WWT - 181cm
7. Jedd Busslinger - East Perth - 197cm
8. Anthony Munkara - West Adel - 190cm (Ess NGA?)
9. Tom Scully - West Adel - 204cm
10. Oliver Hollands - Murr - 183cm
11. Mitch Szybkowski - Dand - 186cm
12. Harry Sheezel - Sand - 184cm
13. Harry Lemmey - West Adel - 199cm
14. Luke Teal - Oak - 191cm
15. Olivier Northam - Geel - 195cm
16. Aaron Cadman - GWV - 194cm
17. Jackson Broadbent - Peel - 201cm
18. Kobe Ryan - West Adel - 183cm
19. Lachlan Cowan - Tas - 188cm
20. Brayden George - Murr - 185cm
21. Isaac Keeler - Nth Adel - 197cm (Adel NGA?)
22. Henry Hustwaite - Dand - 194cm
23. Max Clohesy - Murr - 179cm
24. Bailey Humphrey - Gipps - 184cm
25. Jed Hagan - East Frem - 175cm
26. Seth Campbell - Tas - 182cm
27. Matthew Jefferson - Oak - 195cm
28. Kane Bevan - West Perth - 192cm
29. Taj Campbell-Farrell - Dand - 185cm
30. Jaspa Fletcher - Bris A - 184cm (Bris F/S +A)
31. Ted Clohesy - Geel - 182cm (Geel NGA?)
32. Charlie Clarke - Sand - 182cm
33. Josh Weddle - Oak - 192cm
34. Max Michaelanny - Norw - 190cm (Adel F/S?)
35. Lewis Hayes - East - 197cm
36. Al Davey Jnr - Oak - 181cm (Ess F/S)
37. Jaxon Binns - Dand - 182cm
38. Jonti Schuback - Gipps - 183cm
39. Rye Penny - Cald - 185cm
40. Luke Lawrence - GWS A - 183cm (GWS A)
41. James Van Es - GWV - 196cm
42. Cam MacKenzie - Sand - 187cm (St K NGA?)
43. Blake Drury - Oak - 178cm
44. Will Dowling - Nth Adel - 187cm
45. Mattaes Phillipou - WWT - 188cm
46. Luke Michael - West Perth - 186cm
47. Cooper Harvey - North - 180cm (North F/S)
48. Harry Barnett - West Adel - 202cm
49. Nick Madden - GWS A - 204cm (GWS A)
50. Steely Green - Sth Frem - 178cm

ok so rewatched the AFL Academy game, it was a good game, you could see some of the youngsters picked up the pace really quickly and improve their ratings, meanwhile a small handful im going to have to see more of and hope they improve their output.

Will Ashcroft - from my PoV he was the best player on the ground for the Academy, playing a solid 4 quarter game, winning contested ball and playing with blistering speed, you can tell he has played at the level, because he was comfortable playing against men.

Jhye Clark - he was huge for most of the game, especially early, clean hands and executing smart disposals, he was also playing at a good pace and improved his rating from my PoV

George Wardlaw - he had a tale of 2 halves, his first was average and his 2nd was inspirational, all game he tackled like a beast and i think he was rewarded with about 4-5 htb frees or advantage play on's for his team(Ashcroft got his goal from 1 such play on), his burst of energy and speed in the 2nd half really helped them fire up and get good momentum, if not for his average first half he would've been clearly the best player on the ground.

Anthony Munkara - really showed some spark up forward, taking nice grabs, hitting some sharp passes, running onto a ball forward and kicking a goal, 1 play where he broke a tackle from a guy bigger than himself and snapped from the boundary where it landed 1m into an opponents lap from being a goal, he is tall, quick, agile, clever, has great goal sense, just a real exciting X-Factor talent.

Jed Hagan - had a few intercept marks and disposals down the line from the back half, made 1 error in which he turned the ball over which cost them a goal, but his overall steady and composed delivery from defence was a positive, i think he boosted his draft profile a little with that performance, it reminded me of how he played in the u19's off of half back in 2021 for a dominant WA side.

The Bad

Al Davey Jnr - had a few moments, but really didnt raise his draft profile much, i still think early-mid 2nd round is where he is at
Luke Teal - on 2nd viewing he made 2 errors and didnt do much when he had the ball, i have liked his past performances so willing to give it a pass
Jason Gilbee - 4 errors, thats a worry, he gets it a bit, but i even noticed for Bendigo he makes a fair few errors, which is an issue
Harry Lemmey - barely in the game, im guessing he was on the bench a bit, but even when he was on field, he was a liability, i think im justified in dropping him a few places.

Last edited:
ok so rewatched the AFL Academy game, it was a good game, you could see some of the youngsters picked up the pace really quickly and improve their ratings, meanwhile a small handful im going to have to see more of and hope they improve their output.

Will Ashcroft - from my PoV he was the best player on the ground for the Academy, playing a solid 4 quarter game, winning contested ball and playing with blistering speed, you can tell he has played at the level, because he was comfortable playing against men.

Jhye Clark - he was huge for most of the game, especially early, clean hands and executing smart disposals, he was also playing at a good pace and improved his rating from my PoV

George Wardlaw - he had a tail of 2 halves, his first was average and his 2nd was inspirational, all game he tackled like a beast and i think he was rewarded with about 4-5 htb frees or advantage play on's for his team(Ashcroft got his goal from 1 such play on), his burst of energy and speed in the 2nd half really helped them fire up and get good momentum, if not for his average first half he would've been clearly the best player on the ground.

Anthony Munkara - really showed some spark up forward, taking nice grabs, hitting some sharp passes, running onto a ball forward and kicking a goal, 1 play where he broke a tackle from a guy bigger than himself and snapped from the boundary where it landed 1m into an opponents lap from being a goal, he is tall, quick, agile, clever, has great goal sense, just a real exciting X-Factor talent.

Jed Hagan - had a few intercept marks and disposals down the line from the back half, made 1 error in which he turned the ball over which cost them a goal, but his overall steady and composed delivery from defence was a positive, i think he boosted his draft profile a little with that performance, it reminded me of how he played in the u19's off of half back in 2021 for a dominant WA side.

The Bad

Al Davey Jnr - had a few moments, but really didnt raise his draft profile much, i still think early-mid 2nd round is where he is at
Luke Teal - on 2nd viewing he made 2 errors and didnt do much when he had the ball, i have liked his past performances so willing to give it a pass
Jason Gilbee - 4 errors, thats a worry, he gets it a bit, but i even noticed for Bendigo he makes a fair few errors, which is an issue
Harry Lemmey - barely in the game, im guessing he was on the bench a bit, but even when he was on field, he was a liability, i think im justified in dropping him a few places.

Great write up mate, really keen to watch the game as I missed it and haven’t been able to find a match replay, could you put me in the right direction?

A bit harsh I think to drop him that far on the back of one game, if indeed it is just the one game that's caused it. All the Academy tall forwards bar Cadman failed to fire. There are a lot of factors that can effect the output of a key forward on any given day.

Mind you, given that he's also had a very slow start to the year for West Adelaide, he's got a big champs coming up.

A bit harsh I think to drop him that far on the back of one game, if indeed it is just the one game that's caused it. All the Academy tall forwards bar Cadman failed to fire. There are a lot of factors that can effect the output of a key forward on any given day.

Mind you, given that he's also had a very slow start to the year for West Adelaide, he's got a big champs coming up.
i take into account a lot of things when it comes to Lemmey, he was a bit disappointing in the u17's champs last year and was decent in the u19's, he also has struggled with some health issues this year, which you can have empathy for, but at the same time you want guys who are going to be valuable assets (a pick in the top 5 is a valuable asset to use on an unknown quantity) you want to know they are of comparable value, not guess they might be, so therefore until he proves beyond any doubt he is of that value over the course of a couple of years production and form i would say not at this stage

u18's - 7 games 17.11 goals 3 CM
reserves - 1 game 0.1 goals 3 CM
seniors - 2 games 2.1 goals 1 CM

(stats that i can find from my notes from 2021)
u19's - 3 games for 3 goals (1 of those games was against the Allies who were made up mostly of u17's players because TAS/NSW/QLD COVID situations)
u17's - 1 game 0 goals

reserves - 1 game 0.1 goals 0 CM
seniors - 2 games 2.1 goals 1 CM

AFL Academy - 1 game 0 goals (didnt look like getting near it let alone kick a goal)

the stats are a bit of a worry and he doesnt kick many goals, now on the positive side he moves well for a big lad and is very tall which clubs like, he is getting SANFL experience which is also a positive, but i think the champs are his last chance to really wow people and win them over, because guys like JVR were better prospects last year and he went at pick 19 as an example, but maybe he will prove people right and at least kick 2 goals a game at the champs and show the ability to beat opponents?

thinking its a reaction to one game is insulting.

Last edited:
Tsatsas out for 6 weeks with a fractured foot. I don’t think this will impact his top 3 selection. Probably good for the kid to have a break.

Tsatsas out for 6 weeks with a fractured foot. I don’t think this will impact his top 3 selection. Probably good for the kid to have a break.
Thats Good Robert Deniro GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

as long as its only 6 weeks he should be able to play finals at least, the champs and finals are the last 2 groups of games left to impress, so he should be fine.

Do you have a player comparison for Elijah Hewett?

I’ve seen only glimpses here and there but from other descriptions of his games i read Sam Powell Pepper vibes. Strong, aggressive at the footy but maybe lacks some polish.

Davo-27 ...

Do you have any info on Jed Rules stats. Watching him yesterday.. I was trying to determine how tall he is. He looks like a tallish HBF type. He looks neat by foot and strong over head. Not sure he has been linked to any club at the MSD ... so where do you see him landing in the draft. mid draft... late pick... rookie?
Jed Rule is 194cm 82kg, he plays mostly as a KPD, has played well for Oakleigh this year as an overager, im not sure if he will be picked up in the MSD?

Taj Campbell-Farrell - Dandenong, having a great season averaging over 30 disposals, recently had a 40 disposal, 10 i50, 6 marks, 4 tackle game against Sandringham

Dandenong have a strong group this year and it might help Vic Country be strong this year at the champs, as Dandenong is mostly metro, it has a bigger talent pool to help Country be competitive and a strong Dandenong usually means a strong Country team.

Taj Campbell-Farrell - Dandenong, having a great season averaging over 30 disposals, recently had a 40 disposal, 10 i50, 6 marks, 4 tackle game against Sandringham

Dandenong have a strong group this year and it might help Vic Country be strong this year at the champs, as Dandenong is mostly metro, it has a bigger talent pool to help Country be competitive and a strong Dandenong usually means a strong Country team.
love Taj. One of my favorites this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back