Draft Expert Davo-27's 2022 u18 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whitefriars defeated St Pats. in the Herald Sun Shield Grand Final. Lachlan Reidy won the bog medal. He’s having a great second half of the NAB season as well. eDPS Davo-27 PMBangers ModernArtillery what are your thoughts on him. Chance for a late pick or rookie? From what I’ve seen he moves well, neat skills and strong body.

Thanks Davo - how do you rate tsatas compared to Callaghan last year? Expect hawks to finish below dons (but will likely be some strange results in next few weeks as clubs out cue in rack).
you get 22 games a year - do you really think clubs 'put the cue in the rack' to get access to pick 5 instead of pick 6?
after a win there are a thousand smiles............why would you sacrifice that on a 17 year old who nobody actually knows is going to be better than the kid taken with the next pick?

you get 22 games a year - do you really think clubs 'put the cue in the rack' to get access to pick 5 instead of pick 6?
after a win there are a thousand smiles............why would you sacrifice that on a 17 year old who nobody actually knows is going to be better than the kid taken with the next pick?
Hawks just put reeves into surgery for a shoulder injury he’s carried since Easter. Am sure there’s a fair few other players who have had their seasons finished early in recent weeks to ensure they get a full preseason etc etc. Season is over. Results over next 3 weeks aren’t a focus for most bottom clubs.

Hawks just put reeves into surgery for a shoulder injury he’s carried since Easter. Am sure there’s a fair few other players who have had their seasons finished early in recent weeks to ensure they get a full preseason etc etc. Season is over. Results over next 3 weeks aren’t a focus for most bottom clubs.
Yes. A full-preseason for as many players as possible is the prize, not the potential for a slighter better draft hand.

Davo, I hope you're having a great evening on the couch watching the epic match between Melbourne and Collingwood. I'm just curious as to whom you have Hawthorn selecting with our second-round draft pick. Do we select a medium/small forward such as Anthony Munkara, Darcy Jones, or Jacob Konstanty? Do we go with a key-forward/ruck if one of Keeler, Lemmey, or Barnett is still on the board? Are we tempted by the half-forward/mids in Bailey Humphery, Charlie Clarke, Olli Hotton, Blake Drury, Harry Rowston, Seth Campbell, etc., or do we go with a mid such as D'Aloia, Hagan, and Ryan?

Your answer would be greatly appreciated as I value your opinion highly.

Yours sincerely,

Titch3Votes

Last edited:
Davo, I hope you're having a great evening on the couch watching the epic match between Melbourne and Collingwood. I'm just curious as to whom you have Hawthorn selecting with our second-round draft pick. Do we select a medium/small forward such as Anthony Munkara, Darcy Jones, or Jacob Konstanty? Do we go with a key-forward/ruck if one of Keeler, Lemmey, or Barnett is still on the board? Are we tempted by the half-forward/mids in Bailey Humphery, Charlie Clarke, Olli Hotton, Blake Drury, Harry Rowston, Seth Campbell, etc., or do we go with a mid such as D'Aloia, Hagan, and Ryan?

Yours sincerely,

Titch3Votes

Not trying to take over the response from the man himself, because I'm sure it will be better than mine.

I can see two scenarios for us.

1. Cadman with our first then best available midfielder at our second.
2. Midfielder at our first then best available mid/fwd at our second unless one of the tall forwards slip that far.

'Best Available' will always be the mantra, however we have specific list holes that will be addressed while keeping that in mind. Much like last season.

Yours sincerely,

Titch3Votes
i dont think Keeler will be available at our 2nd pick, if we can get Olli Hotton with our 2nd that would be ideal, if he isnt there, i'd want Konstanty/Humphrey or Munkara at our 2nd pick

i dont think Keeler will be available at our 2nd pick, if we can get Olli Hotton with our 2nd that would be ideal, if he isnt there, i'd want Konstanty/Humphrey or Munkara at our 2nd pick
surprising result at Box Hill today with Eastern beating Sandringham by 77 points. Ashcroft had plenty of it for Sandy. Lots of good players for Eastern with Helleren kicking at least 3

2023 top 30

1. Harley Reid - Bend
2. Jed Walter - GCS A
3. Daniel Curtin - Clare
4. Nate Caddy - North
5. Nick Watson - East
6. Jack Delean - Sth Adel
7. Koltyn Tholstrup - Subi
8. Zane Duursma - Gipps
9. Nathan Philactides - Oak
10. Ashton Moir - Glenlg
11. Archer Reid - Gipps
12. Koen Sanchez - Est Frem
13. Sam Frangalas - Dand
14. Riley Hardeman - Swan Dist
15. Ben Ridgeway - Glenlg
16. Jake Rogers - GCS A
17. Archie Roberts - Sand
18. Luamon Lual - GWV
19. Oliver Badr - Oak
20. George Stevens - GWV
21. Riley Weatherill - East
22. Mitch Edwards - Peel
23. Alex Holt - Sturt
24. Xavier Walsh - Est Perth
25. Colby McKercher - Tas
26. Caleb Windsor - East
27. Will McCabe - Cent Dist
28. Will Patton - Wst Adel
29. Rhyley Sanders - Sand/Tas
30. Ethan Read - GCS A

i made 2 changes, Cooper Simpson and Cam Nyko drop out of the top 30 and Ben Ridgeway and Riley Weatherill enter the top 30 for next year, yet to see Riak Andrew, but i hear he can play, theres a few Victorian Players i need to see more of and some that are hidden until their draft year, so im sure the 1st month of next years NAB League a handful of talented Vic Players will force their way into top 30/40's like they did this year

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ranking groups for 2024 (top 30) - strong group of vic metro and sa players in this years draft pool (absent allies players)

Elite: Finn O'Sullivan (Sid Draper, only played 1 game before injured, but looked elite from the small sample)
Top Tier 1: Josh Smillie, Jagga Smith, Levi Ashcroft, Sam Lalor, Xavier Ivisic, Deian Roberts, Chayse Martinson, Lucas Camporeale, Phoenix Hargrave, Benny Barrett, Tyler Welsh
Top Tier 2: Lucas McInerney, Luke Wilson, Ty Kitchell, Zak Johnson, Isaac Kako, Xavier Lindsay, Tobie Travaglia, Otis Harvey, Hugh Boxshall, Malakai Champion, Harry Jones, Jacob Newton, Ned Atkinson, Louie Montgomery, Oliver Warburton, Damon Hollow, Jayden Nguyen

Last edited:
2023 top 30

1. Harley Reid - Bend
2. Jed Walter - GCS A
3. Daniel Curtin - Clare
4. Nate Caddy - North
5. Nick Watson - East
6. Jack Delean - Sth Adel
7. Koltyn Tholstrup - Subi
8. Zane Duursma - Gipps
9. Nathan Philactides - Oak
10. Ashton Moir - Glenlg
11. Archer Reid - Gipps
12. Koen Sanchez - Est Frem
13. Sam Frangalas - Dand
14. Riley Hardeman - Swan Dist
15. Ben Ridgeway - Glenlg
16. Jake Rogers - GCS A
17. Archie Roberts - Sand
18. Luamon Lual - GWV
19. Oliver Badr - Oak
20. George Stevens - GWV
21. Riley Witherill - East
22. Mitch Edwards - Peel
23. Alex Holt - Sturt
24. Xavier Walsh - Est Perth
25. Colby McKercher - Tas
26. Caleb Windsor - East
27. Will McCabe - Cent Dist
28. Will Patton - Wst Adel
29. Rhyley Sanders - Sand/Tas
30. Ethan Read - GCS A

i made 2 changes, Cooper Simpson and Cam Nyko drop out of the top 30 and Ben Ridgeway and Riley Witherill enter the top 30 for next year, yet to see Riak Andrew, but i hear he can play, theres a few Victorian Players i need to see more of and some that are hidden until their draft year, so im sure the 1st month of next years NAB League a handful of talented Vic Players will force their way into top 30/40's like they did this year

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ranking groups for 2024 (top 30) - strong group of vic metro and sa players in this years draft pool (absent allies players)

Elite: Finn O'Sullivan (Sid Draper, only played 1 game before injured, but looked elite from the small sample)
Top Tier 1: Josh Smillie, Jagga Smith, Levi Ashcroft, Sam Lalor, Xavier Ivisic, Deian Roberts, Chayse Martinson, Lucas Camporeale, Phoenix Hargrave, Benny Barrett, Tyler Welsh
Top Tier 2: Lucas McInerney, Luke Wilson, Ty Kitchell, Zak Johnson, Isaac Kako, Xavier Lindsay, Tobie Travaglia, Otis Harvey, Hugh Boxshall, Malakai Champion, Harry Jones, Jacob Newton, Ned Atkinson, Louie Montgomery, Oliver Warburton, Damon Hollow, Jayden Nguyen
Reckon you’ll want to add tall defender from the Lions, Billy Richardson.

He was named as the U16 AA ruck, but he’s a December 2005 birth, and very good behind the ball as a key defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon you’ll want to add tall defender from the Lions, Billy Richardson.

He was named as the U16 AA ruck, but he’s a December 2005 birth, and very good behind the ball as a key defender.
i'll keep an eye out for him in the future or maybe watch the division 2 of u16s at some point.

surprising result at Box Hill today with Eastern beating Sandringham by 77 points. Ashcroft had plenty of it for Sandy. Lots of good players for Eastern with Helleren kicking at least 3

i just looked up the teams for the game and the players of interest were favouring Eastern, meaning Sandringham's depth wasnt up to the challenge

Eastern - Reidy, Bennetts, Nyko, Verrell, Hayes, Wetherill, Smillie and the goal kickers, Morris 4, Helleren 4, Galstians 3, Connor Smith 3
Sandy - C.Clarke, Ashcroft, Hempel, Sheezel, Rowe and a couple of overagers in MacNab and Benton

i just looked up the teams for the game and the players of interest were favouring Eastern, meaning Sandringham's depth wasnt up to the challenge

Eastern - Reidy, Bennetts, Nyko, Verrell, Hayes, Wetherill, Smillie and the goal kickers, Morris 4, Helleren 4, Galstians 3, Connor Smith 3
Sandy - C.Clarke, Ashcroft, Hempel, Sheezel, Rowe and a couple of overagers in MacNab and Benton
The cue is in the rack for some?

Last edited:
Luke Teal and Max Gruzewski have played very little footy in 2022. clearly the 2021 u17 carnival and season form counts highly when clubs are making their selection.

last round for the NAB League this week, before finals

Gippsland 10-2 140.31%
Tasmania 10-3 131.84%
Dandenong 9-3 114.94%
GWV Rebels 8-4 113.66%
Geelong 7-4-1 109.76%
Eastern 7-5 124.91%
Sandringham 7-5 114.45%
Oakleigh 7-5 109.87%
Murray 6-6 121.76%
Western 4-8 83.42%
Calder 4-8 70.30%
Bendigo 2-9-1 81.42%
Northern 2-10 71.76%

crazy to see all the country teams at the top and the metro teams at the bottom, but i guess some metro teams get hit harder than the country teams from a Private School system? or country are gonna be strong for these 2 years coming up (2022and2023), Tasmania have been strong too and it will be interesting to see if they can handle the pressure of the finals? i suspect Oakleigh to still make the prelims at least if not win it overall, but it could be a rare country win, the last was 2018 with Dandenong taking away their first premiership i believe?.

most premierships for each club
6 - Calder
5 - Oakleigh
4 - Northern
3 - Geelong, Sandringham
2 - Eastern, Murray

only teams to have not won a title yet are Bendigo, Western and the newly entered Tasmania

last round for the NAB League this week, before finals

Gippsland 10-2 140.31%
Tasmania 10-3 131.84%
Dandenong 9-3 114.94%
GWV Rebels 8-4 113.66%
Geelong 7-4-1 109.76%
Eastern 7-5 124.91%
Sandringham 7-5 114.45%
Oakleigh 7-5 109.87%
Murray 6-6 121.76%
Western 4-8 83.42%
Calder 4-8 70.30%
Bendigo 2-9-1 81.42%
Northern 2-10 71.76%

crazy to see all the country teams at the top and the metro teams at the bottom, but i guess some metro teams get hit harder than the country teams from a Private School system? or country are gonna be strong for these 2 years coming up (2022and2023), Tasmania have been strong too and it will be interesting to see if they can handle the pressure of the finals? i suspect Oakleigh to still make the prelims at least if not win it overall, but it could be a rare country win, the last was 2018 with Dandenong taking away their first premiership i believe?.

most premierships for each club
6 - Calder
5 - Oakleigh
4 - Northern
3 - Geelong, Sandringham
2 - Eastern, Murray

only teams to have not won a title yet are Bendigo, Western and the newly entered Tasmania
Don’t let the ladder fool anyone. Oakleigh will win the flag. All the big guns return for the last game in a fortnight vs Sandringham. I reckon from Oakleighs Saturday game vs Western there will be a handful max that will retain their spot. Fair list turnover From one week to the next.

Would love to be a fly on the wall at the Kangas. Looks like they will win the spoon and get the 1st real pick. Surely they need to go a KPP. Cadma, Jefferson, Busslinger or do they go mid with Wardlaw or Sheezel type. Gonna be glued to this one come draft night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back