Draft Expert Davo-27's 2023 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

3 quarter time, Eastern up by 8 points heading into the last quarter, Christian Moraes the underager and Haw NGA youngster has been dominant in the midfield, some good individual performances from Schoenmaker with 18 kicks and no handballs, but who would handball when you have a weapon of a boot?, Windsor with good outside run, Watson with a goal making up for his earlier misses, Callinan and Dolliver looking dangerous for Tassie, McKercher getting more involved, should be a good last quarter

Eastern with a 5 goal win against Tassie, next up Sandy v Geelong to see who plays Eastern in the GF, Weatherill kicking 4 goals and being dubbed "Tex Walker" by the commentary team, Montief was dominant in the ruck and Moraes was the star in the midfield

I thought Leake was Tassie's best. 20 touches, 2 goals. McKercher maybe rushed back into the team too quickly, he barely started in the centre and seemed to be off the ground a lot.
Leake and Schoenmaker are moving up in my rankings, the more I see the more consistently impressive they have been.

McKercher was good, but he didn't play much time in the midfield.

Leake and Schoenmaker are moving up in my rankings, the more I see the more consistently impressive they have been.

McKercher was good, but he didn't play much time in the midfield.
Shoenmaker is a gun. I would love for the saint to get him. Maybe with the Gresham compo

Eastern with a 5 goal win against Tassie, next up Sandy v Geelong to see who plays Eastern in the GF, Weatherill kicking 4 goals and being dubbed "Tex Walker" by the commentary team, Montief was dominant in the ruck and Moraes was the star in the midfield
Weatherill has done it again in a final. No doubt he’ll find himself on a list next year. As good as Croft and Caddy for mine.

My predictions for the Tassie players:

McKercher: 3-7
Sanders: 7-10
Leake: 14-22
Schoenmaker: 22-32
Callinan: Late pick or Rookie

Ollington: Like a 50% chance to be drafted as a rookie at best I think

I am not confident about next year. The bottom agers don't look too amazing at the moment.
I think Geordie Payne is every chance to get drafted at the very least in the rookie draft. Adelaide have interest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Davo, sell me on Tholstrup, is him being highish on a lot of lists a reflection of the draft? I just dont see anything worth a first round pick there, there's nothing that stands out every time I watch him at WAFL. Am I too focused on players having x-factor?
i dont like selling players to anyone, if you think he has faults, bring them up, as for what i have seen, i saw him 1st maybe 2-3 years ago and he was playing midfield, he was accumulating over 30 disposals per game, but his disposal and athleticism were not great, at this time i think another draft watcher had him as a 1st rounder and i didnt like him in my top 40, but things changed in his underage year, he was more impactful in games, showing an ability to mark and get into good position to score goals, he was by far WA's best underager last year, this year he has played mostly WAFL footy and at the champs showed a bit, but WA has been weaker than usual the past 2 years and next year isnt looking strong for WA either, i do like his personality from videos i have seen of him, last year was his best year showing he could be a damaging forward/mid, but i do agree he has underperformed this year and it might see him drop out of the 1st round?

Ollie Murphy at 20
Archie Roberts at 42
Seem a bit too late in the draft
i dont care where they go in the draft, i care whether they can play AFL standard football.

this is my rating, not what other people in the media think, if you want their opinions you can read their articles friendo, or better yet, tell them they are wrong for not having my opinions, thats fun, im sure they will enjoy that.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t mind Geelong going for ZZ in the draft if still around at 81. If he can grow 5 cm he would be perfect he has a real competitive streak and seems very nimble for his size.

Ruckman hopefully but potential very good chb as well I think if not.

Interesting documentary (25 years ago seeing the draft of players who have all retired) on the draft from 1998 afl draft, Adam Ramanauskas, Des Headland and Brendan Fevola, so weird looking back seeing Des Headland as pick 1 and Fev going pick 38? crazy, also seeing Ramanauskas and Fevola playing for Dandenong and Vic Metro was weird lol, seeing all the old recruiters was odd as well, some still around. (seeing clubs disrespect for the big Fev was nuts, he was a star for the Blues for a fair few years)

Headland wearing the Fremantle shirt as a hint to Brisbane was funny too, but im sure Frem are happy Bris went with Headland and they got Justin Longmuir

Last edited:
Interesting documentary (25 years ago seeing the draft of players who have all retired) on the draft from 1998 afl draft, Adam Ramanauskas, Des Headland and Brendan Fevola, so weird looking back seeing Des Headland as pick 1 and Fev going pick 38? crazy, also seeing Ramanauskas and Fevola playing for Dandenong and Vic Metro was weird lol, seeing all the old recruiters was odd as well, some still around. (seeing clubs disrespect for the big Fev was nuts, he was a star for the Blues for a fair few years)

Headland wearing the Fremantle shirt as a hint to Brisbane was funny too, but im sure Frem are happy Bris went with Headland and they got Justin Longmuir

Classic!

Davo are you able to give a short synopnsis on Weatherall? If he a 1st or 2nd key forward? Strenghts/weaknesses? Draft range?
Weatherill is a strong yet lean 195cm KPF, plays deep forward, but can lead onto the wings if needed, seems to be a good mark if the ball is kicked to space or his adv, ok contested mark, fairly accurate kick at goals, I have seen him kick a lot of goals from 40+m which is a good indication of that skill, he could be a 1st Key Forward, if he has the right attitude and belief, but you would need to interview him for that, his body language seems like he lacks a bit of self confidence, but take that with a grain of salt, his actions show competence which is where confidence comes from, so it could develop?

Draft Range could be anywhere, because that's just based on hype, atm he has little to no hype so could go late, unless he kicks a bag in the GF then the hype will come and he could bolt?

Weatherill is a strong yet lean 195cm KPF, plays deep forward, but can lead onto the wings if needed, seems to be a good mark if the ball is kicked to space or his adv, ok contested mark, fairly accurate kick at goals, I have seen him kick a lot of goals from 40+m which is a good indication of that skill, he could be a 1st Key Forward, if he has the right attitude and belief, but you would need to interview him for that, his body language seems like he lacks a bit of self confidence, but take that with a grain of salt, his actions show competence which is where confidence comes from, so it could develop?

Draft Range could be anywhere, because that's just based on hype, atm he has little to no hype so could go late, unless he kicks a bag in the GF then the hype will come and he could bolt?
I agree. Weatherill is a quiet kid, very introverted so his body language could be mistaken for lack of confidence. Based on his end of year performance you'd think he will get picked. IMO the only locks are the top 14 or 15. The rest could land anywhere. There have been a few more players pop up of late so we may see the draft numbers selected back into mid to late 50's.

Some goal kicking stats for Riley Weatherill

14 games for 35 goals 22 behinds
Finals this year, 4.1, 3.2, 4.0 so 11 goals 3 behinds in the pressure of finals footy, if the introverted stuff is true, he could have confidence but not show it, performing under pressure is a big tick imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back