Davy Jones' Locker Room

Remove this Banner Ad

I was once totally against any changes to the prison bar jumper but some of those designs with silver or blue look sensational, which just goes to show the original was so good that it can be tastefully modernised and still retain its history. :)

I was once totally against any changes to the prison bar jumper but some of those designs with silver or blue look sensational, which just goes to show the original was so good that it can be tastefully modernised and still retain its history. :)

They’re good because they aren’t meant as replacements or alterations to the original, which would remain a stand alone jumper. They’re designs meant to be used as clashes for away and pre season to compliment the original prison bar home jumper.

I, myself, personally think this looks sensational (perhaps the bars a touch broader). We may not be allowed to wear black and white in the AFL (or only rarely), but the 'prison bars' design is distinctively OURS and should be seen on the national (and worldwide) stage. These are my own thoughts and no one can say they are incorrect:

prison-bar-black-teal-png.9334

I've posted this in another thread, but i'm a big believer that if we'd introduced the teal PBs in 1996, they would have been by far more popular than our other efforts and we'd still be wearing them today.

The reason we consider the black and white PBs so sacrosanct is because we had our identity absolutely slammed in the mid 2000s and we had to fight tooth and nail not only to defend our club, but even just to argue that we were who we were. We were banned from using the PBs and then had our rights to our heritage trashed from pillar to post. Through that enormous amount of stress, the classic black and white PBs became the enduring symbol of our club and became so important to us because they represented everything the outside world (and often our own administration) were trying to take away from us.

Clearly, in 1996, the club went full on 1990s modern. We introduced teal which was THE sports colour of the era (the other big modern colour was purple, but Freo had gotten in first). We also totally abandoned classic football design and went totally garish, in your face 90s with our design. The combination of a new modern colour AND an OTT design was too much and there was a lot of consternation, especially from the older supporters, about how ridiculous we looked, while the rest of us, not foreseeing the identity crisis, were happy that our club was looking to the future and pushing the modern angle.

Let's do a thought experiment.

In 1996 someone taps the graphic designers on the shoulder and convinces them that teal is enough, and that we don't need to go super modern with our design, we could go for something more conventional. We'd had almost certainly gone back to the most Port Adelaide design that exists, the PBs. Something like this:

eS3WLNV.jpg

This design would have strengthened our visual links to our heritage and would have quelled a lot of the herpiest derp that ever derped "If you guys are the real Port Adelaide why do the Port Magpies wear your guernsey?" arguments that were almost a daily occurence in the mid 2000s. We would have been visually Port Adelaide, and it would have been far easier for the supporter base to accept the change of guernsey.

I'll argue that the identity crisis would have been significantly lessened by the wearing of this guernsey from day 1. Given the lesser identity crisis, we wouldn't have had the furnace of pressure that made the black and white PBs so sacrosanct, and we would have been far more accepting of the teal PBs design.

Think about it. If one of the three of Delaney, Ginevar or Hodges walked out in 1996 wearing the teal PBs, it would instantly have struck the biggest chord with the supporter base and if it wasn't the home jumper then, would have been so within a few years, and it very likely would still be our home jumper today.

I, myself, personally think this looks sensational (perhaps the bars a touch broader). We may not be allowed to wear black and white in the AFL (or only rarely), but the 'prison bars' design is distinctively OURS and should be seen on the national (and worldwide) stage. These are my own thoughts and no one can say they are incorrect:

prison-bar-black-teal-png.9334
I've posted this in another thread, but i'm a big believer that if we'd introduced the teal PBs in 1996, they would have been by far more popular than our other efforts and we'd still be wearing them today.

The reason we consider the black and white PBs so sacrosanct is because we had our identity absolutely slammed in the mid 2000s and we had to fight tooth and nail not only to defend our club, but even just to argue that we were who we were. We were banned from using the PBs and then had our rights to our heritage trashed from pillar to post. Through that enormous amount of stress, the classic black and white PBs became the enduring symbol of our club and became so important to us because they represented everything the outside world (and often our own administration) were trying to take away from us.

Clearly, in 1996, the club went full on 1990s modern. We introduced teal which was THE sports colour of the era (the other big modern colour was purple, but Freo had gotten in first). We also totally abandoned classic football design and went totally garish, in your face 90s with our design. The combination of a new modern colour AND an OTT design was too much and there was a lot of consternation, especially from the older supporters, about how ridiculous we looked, while the rest of us, not foreseeing the identity crisis, were happy that our club was looking to the future and pushing the modern angle.

In 1996 someone taps the graphic designers on the shoulder and convinces them that teal is enough, and that we don't need to go super modern with our design, we could go for something more conventional. We'd had almost certainly gone back to the most Port Adelaide design that exists, the PBs. Something like this:

eS3WLNV.jpg

This design would have strengthened our visual links to our heritage and would have quelled a lot of the herpiest derp that ever derped "If you guys are the real Port Adelaide why do the Port Magpies wear your guernsey?" arguments that were almost a daily occurence in the mid 2000s. We would have been visually Port Adelaide, and it would have been far easier for the supporter base to accept the change of guernsey.

I'll argue that the identity crisis would have been significantly lessened by the wearing of this guernsey from day 1. Given the lesser identity crisis, we wouldn't have had the furnace of pressure that made the black and white PBs so sacrosanct, and we would have been far more accepting of the teal PBs design.

Think about it. If one of the three of Delaney, Ginevar or Hodges walked out in 1996 wearing the teal PBs, it would instantly have struck the biggest chord with the supporter base and if it wasn't the home jumper then, would have been so within a few years, and it very likely would still be our home jumper today.

It does make a lot of sense from where I am standing...

By the way, just put a thin white trim around the bars, and you will have the look for which you seem to be aiming.

Something about that teal panel just doesn’t work for me. The black/charcoal “all black” prison bar idea is much stronger IMO. In any event the decision was made (incorrectly of course) to “broaden our appeal” through our new identity so neither design was ever a possible result.

It’s weird how the one thing they thought would help us grow almost killed us.

Something about that teal panel just doesn’t work for me. The black/charcoal “all black” prison bar idea is much stronger IMO. In any event the decision was made (incorrectly of course) to “broaden our appeal” through our new identity so neither design was ever a possible result.

It’s weird how the one thing they thought would help us grow almost killed us.

There were a lot of bad things going on then (many of those, thank be to God, seem to be resolved). I have the impression that the plan was to get into the AFL no matter what — "we can deal with any issue later, once we are in." So, many things wouldn't have been thought through, including the guernsey.

P.S.: Having said that, the end result seems to be quite good. The plan worked fine, even if taking 20+ years for that to happen.

Last edited:

eS3WLNV.jpg

I'm not a big fan to be honest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not a big fan to be honest.
It's not my favourite guernsey either, but if it had been wheeled out at Laserfest '96, how do you reckon it would have gone with the true believers given the other options on the table?

It's not my favourite guernsey either, but if it had been wheeled out at Laserfest '96, how do you reckon it would have gone with the true believers given the other options on the table?

Some may have loved it, others may have thought it sacrosanct to add teal to the prison bars and not liked it anyway. For me, I just dont think those two colours, in that particular design work. I think the black/charcoal look is strong, striking and ******* awesome. In any case, I reckon we wouldnt have been able to use the prison bars in different colours.

The identity crisis was the doing of outside influences, not really that involved in the club(s) itself. I think pandering to the 9 Port fans who couldn't grasp who was who would have been a mistake.

I see the identity crisis as something we had to have to forge our resolve in maintaining the Port Adelaide-ness in our AFL journey.

ie: That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Has the silver preseason guernsey been spotted in the flesh yet?

Even though I don't particularly like the teal PBs, I do agree with your analysis on how the guernsey would have been received and implications for our identity, etc.

And here's a plot twist. In the alternate world where Lucy submitted the teal PBs in the 2009 Planet Teal guernsey contest instead of the BiB, would we be wearing that design today?

Even though I don't particularly like the teal PBs, I do agree with your analysis on how the guernsey would have been received and implications for our identity, etc.

And here's a plot twist. In the alternate world where Lucy submitted the teal PBs in the 2009 Planet Teal guernsey contest instead of the BiB, would we be wearing that design today?
I did think about that, but I reckon 2009 was too late and the core supporter base would have rallied against any non black and white PBs.

I have spent significant time thinking about some of the interesting one off guernseys we might have ended up with if Lucy hadn't designed that guernsey and the planet teal contest continued each year.

I think a straight swap with teal for white doesn't work, it doesn't pop the design enough by contrasting as much with the black. The all black PBs worked cause it went the complete other way. Teal (or any other colour) is no mans land in the middle. I'm not against teal in the PBs but that way doesn't do it for me, and I'm the closest thing here to Brad the Brain these days.

I will insert my obligatory commentary here that I don't know why we talk about these bastardised PBs when there is no insurmountable obstacle to wearing the actual PBs. IMO a well organised and concerted push for this to happen would succeed but has never been tried.

I will insert my obligatory commentary here that I don't know why we talk about these bastardised PBs when there is no insurmountable obstacle to wearing the actual PBs. IMO a well organised and concerted push for this to happen would succeed but has never been tried.

Agreed.

But as far as this thread is concerned less talk more s**t designs pls.

I don't see why a push to wear them full time would have occurred when you consider that any attempt to wear them sporadically has been met with opposition. The club is playing the long game and I think that's the strategy that makes the most sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back