May 10, 2007
Here
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Max Rooke & Matt Egan
Hey all

Just wanna fill u in on this boy.
I know him personally as he is from where i live and is a great guy and pick up by the cats. I'm very excited that we picked him up.
As his gotten older he has just gotten better and better.
Started at Barnawartha Tigers( and won 2 premierships with my brother,very good team those two years,no other team came close) then went to the Wodonga Raiders where he found himself playing for the Murray Bushrangers.
Very Happy for Dawson and wish him all the best on playing well and becoming a cat!!!!:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

P.S He is 6'11 and about 105kg his a big boy always has been when he was 14 he was well over 6'.

6'11 and ONLY 80KG's???

Are you sure?

im 80 kgs myself and am only 6'1. And im far from heavy, matter of fact im pretty skinny.

I asked my brother who is good mates so i changed the weight for u

Good to see. We needed a ruck and we were better off getting one with a decent pivk in the national draft then getting a rookie.

Has anyone seen his highlights reel on the draft tracker on afl.com.au?
Moves very similarly to Otto and there's an instance where he does a chase and tackle on a midfielder and gets him (reminded me of Otto on Pettigrew)
I'm very pumped for getting this kid.

Has anyone seen his highlights reel on the draft tracker on afl.com.au?
Moves very similarly to Otto and there's an instance where he does a chase and tackle on a midfielder and gets him (reminded me of Otto on Pettigrew)
I'm very pumped for getting this kid.

Yeah that was great. Seems like he's pretty raw but no doubt talented.

I hope this kid is the Simpson Highway cause the last time we had a ruck this tall he was only a street.

What we must do now is focus on the best ruck coach we can find to ensure that he does not take 6 or 7 years to get a senior game.

Good one Turbo. Is that a 4 lane highway?:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I posted this on the D&T board before, but thought I'd post my thoughts here as well in case u guys were interested.

Guys; had a very close affiliation with Dawson over the past two years;the improvement in him from last year to this year has been amazing.Super kid who is a real genuine person,from a very humble family.Have no doubt that you have got just what you would want from a teenage boy as far as morals etc go.He will give everything he has got to make it.You have a gem,go the big donk!!!

I have no idea what he's like off the field, but if I had to guess based purely on watching him play this year, that's how I would have envisaged him being like.

He's just amazing at his work-rate, desperation, 1%'ers etc for someone of his size. He's also very encouraging towards his team-mates, if one of them makes a mistake, he's usually the one that'll go over and pat them on the back and tell them to forget about it and just focus on the next contest. He doesn't have a great natural fitness base, but he's always willing to chase opponents and pressure the opposition ball carrier, even though he's 206cm. Just great to watch.

Obviously he's very raw and needs a lot of development, but I think his attitude towards footy is fantastic and can't be faulted at all. He comes across as a really likeable guy and I hope he makes it. Potential cult hero too :thumbsu:

As big men usually take longer to develop I am not expecting much from in the next 2 years in terms of AFL games. He will be learing the ropes and playing VFL for a few years then we may see a quality player begin to emerge. But he does sound promising, but that is all at this stage.

forgive my slight tone of skepticism, i'm as excited as anyone about getting a new big prospect, but seeing that good ruckmen are at such a premium, how is it that this giant kid was left until pick 34..?

seems too good to be true - is there something we're not seeing?

ok, i just watched his highlight reel, and he looks pretty blood good - why did he get left so late??

Refer Dean Cox, Aaron Sandilands - Both rookie elevations so overlooked by every other club at least 3 times over. 'Smokey' will take time to develop and not many clubs have the patience to wait & see. From the footage he looks pretty mobile for a big fella and a very handy contested mark as well. Some of his ruck work was first class too.

Here's his profile from footydraft.com

Dawson Simpson – Murray Bushrangers
205cm, 97kg (size taken from TAC Cup Record but is said to have grown to 207cm, 100kg)

Junior position: Ruck
Projected AFL position: Ruck

Strengths
Height
Fearlessness
Ground skills for size
Second efforts

Weaknesses
Ruck technique
Low possession winner

Question marks
His height has been a distinct advantage in juniors, but will it stand out as much in AFL as he’ll be up against smarter and more athletic opponents?

Comments
Dawson Simpson is a massive unit. Listed as 205cm in the TAC Cup Record (measurements taken at start of year). On top of his extreme height he also has a decent amount of bulk behind him tipping around 100kg, but the thing that makes Simpson such an exciting prospect is that this monster frame doesn’t detract heavily from his athleticism.

Immediately these measurement would conjure images of a tall dopey bloke who couldn’t put one leg ahead of the other, nevermind catch a ball, but Simpson actually moves around the ground a lot better than you would expect. On top of this he doesn’t mind getting his hands dirty with second efforts so he displays a good level of intensity.

He seems to have a very good understanding of his size advantage because he doesn’t hold much fear, whether that be backing into a contest or bending down to pick up a ball in traffic.

He has a bit of work to do with his rucking as he still loses hitouts to guys under 200cm at juniors. Shaun McKernan and Jackson Trengove with superior technique and leap got the better of him in their two finals match-ups despite giving away over 10cm to Simpson, so this is a clear indication that some improvement needs to happen there and height alone won’t do it for him. With that said, it’s not like he is a bad ruckman. He is quite good and made Vic Country this year against some stiff competition, but better technique mixed with his height would go a long way.

At this stage he is still a low possession winner, even in juniors. He’s not a bad user of the ball when he gets his hands on it but he’s not really influential around the ground. Reasonable athleticism and immense size are a good combination so he’s got the makings right there to be moulded into a more effective around the ground player, but that’s not an extremely likely prospect.

Upside is a key term with Dawson Simpson. He’s shown good signs at junior level and has every chance to improve. His improvement over this season alone has shown that he could be on the way to realising his potential.

Mid second/early third round pick

Stats
2007 TAC Cup season
18 games played
68 kicks (44 of them effective)
67 handballs (58 effective)
277 hitouts
16 contested marks
30 uncontested marks
37 tackles

ok, i just watched his highlight reel, and he looks pretty blood good - why did he get left so late??

He'll be an absolute gun, mark my words! Top bloke and great carpenter aswell, was in my TAFE course (PA, carpentry and joinery)!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back