• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
I should try and get this done before Day 5 ends up in the morning of day 6. So, day 4 was full of one-sided matches. Today, has seen a lot of matches go the distance. Heck, even Iga has to fight for 3 hours. Indeed, only 1 mans match went to 3 straight sets. I won't count Medvedev, in this, he is going to finish his match in day 6. (he went well into day 6)

Weather- 21 Cloudy. It shouldn't rain, but I said the last thing yesterday(today) and it poured. :cloud:

Rod Laver Arena
Day 5 Night session Starting on midnight
Medvedev vs the Finnish Guy

Day Session From 12pm
Tsurenko [28] 🇺🇦 vs. Sabalenka [2]
Van Assche vs. Tsitsipas [7]
Night Session From 7pm
Djokovic [1] vs. Etcheverry [30]
Hunter [Q] 🇦🇺 vs Krejcikova [9] 🇨🇿

Margaret Court Arena
Day session - From 12pm
Sinner [4] vs. Baez [26]
Parks 🇺🇸 vs Gauff [4] 🇺🇸
Night Session From 7pm
Timofeeva vs. Haddad Maia [10] 🇧🇷
Korda [29] vs Rublev [5]

John Cain Arena
From 11am
Anisimova 🇺🇸 vs Badosa 🇪🇸
Fritz [12] vs. Marozsan
NB 7pm
De Minaur [10] 🇦🇺 : vs Cobolli [Q]

Mens Draw. Friday Half
Djokovic [1] vs. Etcheverry [30]
Mannarino [20] vs.Shelton [16]
Fritz [12] vs. Marozsan
Van Assche vs. Tsitsipas [7]
------------------------------
Sinner [4] vs. Baez [26]
Machac vs. Khachanov [15]
De Minaur [10] :australia: vs Cobolli [Q]
Korda [29] vs Rublev [5]

Womens Draw, Friday Half
Avanesyan vs. Kostyuk 🇺🇦
Timofeeva vs. Haddad Maia [10] 🇧🇷
Frech 🇵🇱 vs. Zakharova
Parks 🇺🇸 vs Gauff [4] 🇺🇸
--------------------------------
Andreeva vs Parry :france:
Hunter [Q] 🇦🇺 vs Krejcikova [9] 🇨🇿
Anisimova 🇺🇸 vs Badosa 🇪🇸
Tsurenko [28] 🇺🇦 vs. Sabalenka [2]

So, about last night....CRAZY!!!!!! Nothing else to add. Absolutely nuts.

Today....Well day 4 (this side of the draw) was full of thrashings. Where the other side is full of upsets and open draws, this has a lot of seeds still hanging around. Should make the matches full of quality.

ADM should win easily. I don't know much about Cobolli, but others might. He is a young Italian who has got through the Qualifiers, so he can't be a hack. Still AADM, as the top 10 player, needs to get through this in 3 or 4 sets. It feels weird he is on JCA. Where Kokk and Nick are "cool", I feel ADM tries to act "cool" but deep down, he is a nerd. It might not suit his personalty. That sounds meaner than what i mean. I am so happy Storm gets a singles match on RLA at night. Hopefully, it won't be too late. Krejcikova might be beatable. Really struggled in the first round and has a slight knock. Come on girl!!!!

Mens wise, I think several matches might be grand. I can't do it justice here but Shelton vs Mannarino should be very fun on a non ticketed court. Probably were I park my butt today if I was in Melbourne.

Girls Wise, a lot of Ukrainians v Russian players, so no handshakes and don't boo if you at the ground. There should be a notice explaining why and it is perfectly understandalble considering the whole issue. Think the mens is a lot more interesting.

Match of the day
Korda [29] vs Rublev [5]
Should be fun. Korda had a great Aussie summer last year but since then, has been a bit off with injures and form. Still, has a fun game and on his day, can match it with everyone. Heck, he matched it with Novak in Adelaide last year. Rublev is a good solid player who normally wins these type of matches. I think Rublev in 4.

Poll is the above match.

Last edited:
These late finishes are crazy. Not good, but crazy. Last night I was up until 11 watching knowing I needed to be up at 1am for work. Working until 4pm. I am going to die today but the tennis was too exhilarating that I couldn’t have an early night.

I wish I was able to see it all until the last point but obviously couldn’t. When I got up after my not even 2 hour sleep Medvedev was in a third set. Now that is ridiculous. I know for a super late finish to happen there’s got to be some epics during the day/night, but it’s the fact they’re not doing enough is what kills me. Day session brought forward (to the old time) to an 11am start, night session 6:30 latest. Women’s match first, men’s second. I’m sure the majority of people wouldn’t mind if they miss the first 30 mins of the women‘s (I said most people). Occasionally flip it but that’s the schedule. Make it happen Craig.

How is a 6:30pm start going to make a difference? You will still get the late finishes.

And even with an 11am start, you may have a situation where you can't start at 6:30pm because of long matches during the day.

Maybe, just maybe, the anomalous long matches are what make a tournament like this? Are what make a sport like this? Are what people actually enjoy: the unknown?

Perhaps we should just cap all matches at 3 hours and whoever is leading at that point in time is the winner :drunk:

I would actually push the morning session forward to 10:30am on all sessions.

6:30pm on the night session seems a nice compromise it doesn’t sound much but half an hour is a bit, get rid of the half an hour between matches make it 10 mins (with the new crowds rules this can be reduced massively).

Look, last night was crazy. It was always going to be a late night

But MCA still finished at 12. That is the normal. Move to 11am and 6:30pm start sessions and then Medvedev would finish at 2am. Yes, that is late, but most times, it will finish in normal hours.

What has been the earliest night on RLA so far. Midnight?...It has been hard to watch the prime time tennis all the way through.

Anyway, the sunday start was NEVER going to fix the late nights and to say it was, is laughable.

How is a 6:30pm start going to make a difference? You will still get the late finishes.

And even with an 11am start, you may have a situation where you can't start at 6:30pm because of long matches during the day.

Maybe, just maybe, the anomalous long matches are what make a tournament like this? Are what make a sport like this? Are what people actually enjoy: the unknown?

Perhaps we should just cap all matches at 3 hours and whoever is leading at that point in time is the winner :drunk:

Day time session starts at 9am

Evening session at 5pm

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner (except for the tv rights holders :p)

Men play best of three sets round one to round four, then best of five after that. There's people who think AFL and T20 take too long to finish and they're done within three hours. I can appreciate a Djokovic vs Nadal five set epic but only a devoted tragic wants to watch 62 vs 155 on court for over four hours.

Edit: To be clear, I'll be a bit sad if this ever happens, especially for those who love the five setters. As a Test cricket fan I'm used to my absurdly long form of entertainment being threatened.

Men play best of three sets round one to round four, then best of five after that. There's people who think AFL and T20 take too long to finish and they're done within three hours. I can appreciate a Djokovic vs Nadal five set epic but only a devoted tragic wants to watch 62 vs 155 on court for over four hours.

Heavy pass half the test in winning a grand slam is winning 7 best of 5 matches.

Not saying it's what I want, but something like that is likely to happen if they actually do want to stop the absurdly late night finishes. It's either that or the night session is just one men's match or two women's matches.

If players want over a million for a grand slam broadcasters ain’t giving them that for LESS play. 5 sets is the ultimate test not 3 sets. If anything wonen should be 5 sets from the second week

Bringing the time half an hour forward isn't going to make any difference...The only way to finish at a respectable time is to copy Wimbledon & stop play by midnight no matter what.

On Redmi Note 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bringing the time half an hour forward isn't going to make any difference...The only way to finish at a respectable time is to copy Wimbledon & stop play by midnight not matter what.

Which leads to just as many problems. Switch matches to other courts, this is never done but maybe it should be. But I get the whole issue of people having paid for tickets.

Which leads to just as many problems. Switch matches to other courts, this is never done but maybe it should be. But I get the whole issue of people having paid for tickets.
TBH, there really isn't any solution that can completely stop late finishes...Just so many longer matches these days & imagine if they still had the advantage set.

I am just reading about her. Is she the one who called for the banning of the Russian flag? Someone refused to shake hands with Russian players too, her? You’re right, deserves it.
Yep, that’s her, and she’s always whinging about something. To go with her constant retirements and walkovers (SO many). She is honestly a joke.

T
TBH, there really isn't any solution that can completely stop late finishes...Just so many longer matches these days & imagine if they still had the advantage set.

Is the solution not (at least in part) to quicken the courts / balls so that 15/20 shot rallies are not the norm and matches therefore finish quicker?

Back