Remove this Banner Ad

Here is the new daily thread.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Day 7 was a bit flat. Probably one best left behind. So, lets get to day 8.

Weather: 17-21 Mainly fine, might be a shower or 2. But showers are no longer a big deal for the singles events, with most of the action on the roofed arenas.

Rod Laver Arena
Day Session From 12pm
Frech 🇵🇱 vs. Gauff [4] 🇺🇸
Djokovic [1] 🇷🇸 vs. Mannarino [20]🇫🇷
Night Session From 7pm
De Minaur [10] 🇦🇺 vs. Rublev [5]
🇦🇺 Mixed Doubles

Margaret Court Arena
Day session - From 1pm
Anisimova 🇺🇸 vs. Sabalenka [2]
NB 4pm
Khachanov [15] vs Sinner [4] 🇮🇹
John Cain Arena
From 11am
Mens Doubles
NB 1:30pm
Tsitsipas [7] 🇬🇷 vs. Fritz [12] 🇺🇸
Andreeva vs. Krejcikova [9] 🇨🇿

KIA Arena
1pm
Kostyuk 🇺🇦 vs. Timofeeva

Djokovic [1] 🇷🇸 vs. Mannarino [20]🇫🇷
Tsitsipas [7] 🇬🇷 vs. Fritz [12] 🇺🇸

Khachanov [15] vs Sinner [4] 🇮🇹
-------------------------------------------
[9] Hurkacz 🇵🇱 vs. [WC] Cazaux :france:
[3] Medvedev vs. Borges 🇵🇹

[6] Zverev 🇩🇪 /Michelsen 🇺🇸 vs. [19] Norrie 🇬🇧
Kecmanovic 🇷🇸 vs. [2] Alcaraz 🇪🇸

Kostyuk 🇺🇦 vs. Timofeeva
Frech 🇵🇱 vs. Gauff [4] 🇺🇸

Andreeva vs. Krejcikova [9] 🇨🇿
Anisimova 🇺🇸 vs. Sabalenka [2]
---------------------------------------
Noskova 🇨🇿 vs. [19] Svitolina 🇺🇦 /Golubic 🇨🇭
[19] Azarenka vs. [Q] Yastremska 🇺🇦

[26] Paolini 🇮🇹 vs. Kalinskaya
[12] Zheng 🇨🇳 vs.b Dodin 🇫🇷

A Sunday night blockbuster for Channel 9. They made the right move to have this in the primetime spot. Novak will be playing his first-day match here for three years. Look, Mannarino has played 15 sets so far this tournament. Even if he had only played nine, I still don't think he would win.

The other two matches look like a must-follow match. Sinner will finally be tested. His draw has been perfect for someone who did not play one competitive match this summer. Karen made the semis here last year, and I think people are sleeping on him, like we always do. The guy can play and has a weapon in that forehand. This is not a given. I have been more impressed with Fritz than Tsitsipas, despite the latter dropping fewer sets than the former. The last time Tsitsipas and Fritz played here at the Aus Open, it went to five sets, with the Greek winning. I am tipping the same but Fritz winning.

The men's side is the showpiece today. One to watch on the womens is Anisimova and Sabalenka. Anisimova holds a 4-1 H2H record. Would love to see Anisimova win. The girl has had a tough 4-5 years, and it is great to see her back.

Match of the Day(and Poll)
Can Alex get his first top-10 win at a slam? That will be huge if he does. All Aussie eyes will be on this one, but it generally has two players who have some of the best form coming into this tournament. Alex is on a 6-game winning streak while Rublev is on a 7-game streak, having won Hong Kong in the Aussie Summer. H2H reads 3-2 to Alex.

Alex hasn't done well around this stage of the tournament previously. Smashed by Floginini, Sinner, and Novak around the 3rd round and the round of 16. I think he has gotten better as a player with great results at the Toronto Masters and this summer. Still tipping Rublev in 4 as I think he has the better game. Should be 3+ hours at least.

Gauff’s draw has got to be a joke, no? I mean Frech in the 4th, for real now? And her QF not much better.

That whole half is a joke

It’s ITF level it’s why we needed Garcia to not be a muppet.

Kostuk, Andreeva and Kreijikova are decent. Almost hope Babs wins today as she’s more likely to push Gauff or Sabs

That whole half is a joke

It’s ITF level it’s why we needed Garcia to not be a muppet.

Kostuk, Andreeva and Kreijikova are decent. Almost hope Babs wins today as she’s more likely to push Gauff or Sabs
Women’s field is insipid. Barty would have had Grand Slams at her mercy should she have not retired. Swiatek practically said so the other day by saying in an interview that she would not be number one if Barty was still playing. Went yesterday and watched 2 women’s matches one of which was A grade pennant standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Women’s field is insipid. Barty would have had Grand Slams at her mercy should she have not retired. Swiatek practically said so the other day by saying in an interview that she would not be number one if Barty was still playing. Went yesterday and watched 2 women’s matches one of which was A grade pennant standard.

It’s even that’s what the women’s field is. It’s way more entertaining personally for that reason. I love Novak but it can get boring for most

Not sure what Anisomva is thinking you are no chance at beating Sabalenka at the baseline

She’s terrible at the net not sure what you want. Have to hope Sabs comes off and she can. Coco beats her anyway

Back