Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 20, 2013
Test Cricket
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
LIVERPOOL, Sydney FC, Nottm Forest
They wouldn't be trying to do this if test cricket wasn't struggling. Get real people. Tests are well and truly dying out side the big 3. Test cricket just isn't contributing like the other two.
Did you even watch the Ashes last summer? Test Cricket has never been bigger in my opinion. All sports tinker with things that a fine, in no time at all we will have a night AFL grand final, even though no one wants it.

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
While the crowds are staying away, the TV rights deals are still pretty strong. Most people are happy to follow test cricket in some way, just that they can't justify taking a day off work to sit and watch a days play.
Given the amount of resources you have to put into it tests aren't contributing enough to the sport worldwide and isn't reaching enough of the public.

Did you even watch the Ashes last summer? Test Cricket has never been bigger in my opinion. All sports tinker with things that a fine, in no time at all we will have a night AFL grand final, even though no one wants it.
That's a laughable opinion with all due respect. There is actually Test Cricket outside of the Ashes and it's seen better days. The Ashes maybe doing okay but when England or India aren't touring here then interest is well and truly down. Test Cricket is dying outside the big 3 and is dying with the younger generations.

Test Cricket isn't going to survive long term with just the Ashes.

Ashton Agar

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 20, 2013
Test Cricket
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
LIVERPOOL, Sydney FC, Nottm Forest
Given the amount of resources you have to put into it tests aren't contributing enough to the sport worldwide and isn't reaching enough of the public.

That's a laughable opinion with all due respect. There is actually Test Cricket outside of the Ashes and it's seen better days. The Ashes maybe doing okay but when England or India aren't touring here then interest is well and truly down. Test Cricket is dying outside the big 3 and is dying with the younger generations.

Test Cricket isn't going to survive long term with just the Ashes.
The series against South Africa recently was also a great series and got plenty of hype, however we don't have another test series until Pakistan in the UAE in October. There is too much One Day Cricket and not enough test cricket.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
While the crowds are staying away, the TV rights deals are still pretty strong. Most people are happy to follow test cricket in some way, just that they can't justify taking a day off work to sit and watch a days play.

Which is why it would be fantastic to be able to go after work.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
A lot of the objections on here sound exactly the same as those raised when it was proposed to play premiership VFL matches under lights.

If Test Cricket wants to remain relevant, it has to be entertaining to a large number of people. People like watching their sports like they watching theatre - in comfort, at a reasonable time. If it's on tv, it still has to be a reasonable time.

Obviously at this stage, the ball is the main problem. It doesn't work like a red ball. You know what? - if they don't get the night ball exactly the same as a red ball, they'll just say 'let's go with it anyway - same for both sides'. As soon as they play the first test under lights, the reaction will be 'What was all the fuss about?'.

Night test cricket will happen - and in 10-15 years, most test cricket will be played Day/Night. Almost all top class international sport is played at night for preference - golf is about the only major one that isn't.

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU
If Test cricket is dying outside of the Big 3 then why not experiment with day/night Tests outside of those countries. It makes no sense to trial it in Adelaide where per capita Test crowds are probably the highest in the world (definitely highest in Australia).

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
I don't mind the concept but i don't like that they had trials on the pink ball knowing full well that were going to do a day/night test vs the kiwis no matter how badly the ball performed.

Get the ball right first and then play the test or risk turning the whole thing into a farce that gets talked about more for the problems than the supposed benefits of night cricket.

As somebody wiser than me once said you only get one chance to make a first impression.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
But does Test cricket need to turn to day-night Tests to remain relevant?

I vote no.
Would going to night Tests make the game any more relevant? I don't think so. Fans of the other games will still be bored by the time taken in building innings and long play tactics. TV will still prefer the high octane games, and if Test cricket is to eventually die it will do so regardless of night games.

There's nothing wrong with it, if the ball is right and the local conditions suit. Rushing it into unsuited venues will just make matters worse if the premier form of the game is compromised.

Last edited:

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
The series against South Africa recently was also a great series and got plenty of hype, however we don't have another test series until Pakistan in the UAE in October. There is too much One Day Cricket and not enough test cricket.
Do you ever stop and wonder why cricket administrators continually schedule so many One Dayers over Test matches?

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My only impressions of day/night first class cricket is briefly watching the CA stream of the round of Shield games they had a trial for.

I do think that it's worth a try - providing the issue of the ball is sorted out (which it probably won't be). The ultimate problem with it is that it probably can't be applied to the sub-continent given the dew factor which would have an enormous impact on the outcome of the match and reduce the attractiveness of cricket being played.

Another issue is that it probably can't be applied where it crowds are actually an issue in Australia. Whilst it would be good for the Gabba test given that it always is scheduled prior to the holiday period, isn't there similar issues with dew/humidity as in the sub-continent? Hobart's attendances in the tests they have received recently have been very poor, but implementing this could be a disaster given how cold it gets over there at night. I could see it being a hit with fans in Perth, but then is the finish too late for east coast viewers for the TV execs liking? I think it would be a success at the incredibly aesthetic and climate suitable Adelaide Oval and probably the same at the SCG. But both those tests are well attended every year so the overall effect wouldn't be enormous.

Willing to give it a go though.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Perth Test would likely stay early for TV like the ODIs do.

Channel 9 and cricket Australia love the Perth test because it rates so much higher than the GABBA and Adelaide because it's in prime time. No need to make a change to Boxing Day test or even Sydney test as a lot of people are on holidays anyway. Which leaves Brisbane or Adelaide. One test a summer is enough.

I wonder if it is the same pink ball that we use in our (NMCA) 20/20 competition last season, and previous seasons before that too I might add.

We were using Kookaburra four piece balls. The main difference I noticed was that they were a lot harder on the hands, but somehow managed to bounce less, and move through the air slower.

Fat Tony!

Team Captain
May 17, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
If they are going to play day/night tests, they should just use two white balls and change them over at 70 overs (and wear coloured clothing). IMO a pink ball will be too difficult to see and the white ball is already well tested.

If they are going to play day/night tests, they should just use two white balls and change them over at 70 overs (and wear coloured clothing). IMO a pink ball will be too difficult to see and the white ball is already well tested.
Why coloured clothing?

Back