Day/night Test cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

What changed between this season and last? It seemed as thought the same ball was used seemed to be used as last summer when the players overwhemingly came out against the day/night Shield games. Just following the scores it did also seem as though there was correlation between night play and batsmen struggling more as well. But that is based on very little, as at this stage is using the ball in Test matches.

It looks, as feared, as if CA are just hurrying it along for TV money regardless of what it does to the game. I hope its not the case and it works out, but I don't trust CA to value the game over the money any more than I do the BCCI or the AFL.

Why does everything have to be about money?

Surely some things should be just left the **** alone.

I couldn't care less about money. I just think it would be good for cricket. To come home after work and be able to watch most of a days cricket is exciting instead of having to check scores on your phone every 5 minutes.

I agree with this. The first morning of day one is special. I agree the buzz you get is better than anything else in sport. Don't tinker with test cricket, it is the real cricket. T20 and ODI do what you want, but don't try and change the beauty of test cricket.

Surely, there are already enough cowboy competitions to appease people who just want to see lights, flares, unnecessary noise, coloured clothing, batsmen with their heads in the air, bowlers bowling pies, etc. Some of us out here actually love cricket, and Test cricket is the ultimate. Administrators must realize that we need to be catered for as well, not just drunken idiots who care more about where there next beer is coming from than a batsman making 100.

Test cricket is the only even contest between bat and ball, and that's what cricket lovers enjoy most.

I couldn't care less about money. I just think it would be good for cricket. To come home after work and be able to watch most of a days cricket is exciting instead of having to check scores on your phone every 5 minutes.

It will not be good for the game. It MIGHT be good for the balance sheet. Might.

Test cricket is the pinnacle of the contest between bat and ball. One day and 20/20 are tarted up slog-fests that are massively in favour of the bat. I don't deny they've benefited the game but for God's sake leave Test Cricket the * alone. It's not perfect but it's not broken. The constant bullshit of change for change sake is, IMO, driven by marketing w***ers who are in it for their own wallet - not for the game.

The same thing has happened to footy - I can barely watch footy on the TV anymore. And I'm not exactly close enough to be able to go to live games.

Ok. I prefer test cricket to any other kind - because that's what I've grown up with, that has the history, and, by virtue of being a longer game has more dramatic storylines. Last night's game was pretty good, though.

BUT - it's still just sport. To say it is better than ODIs or 20/20 is like saying a marathon is better than the 100m - sure, maybe that's your opinion (or mine), but in the end, it's just a children's game played by adults, and people will pay to watch. And if the players want to be paid for it, it needs to be presented in a way that the spectator wants it. If they want to be paid a lot, these days that means prime time, on the tv.

Yes, the different coloured ball will cause some adjustment, yes, the lights will cause some issues. So what - current test cricket already has it's weird anomalies - dew in the morning, having a 40-minute break after barely 2 hours play (it's not like cricket is THAT physical an activity), a pitch that changes character over the 5 days (greentop to dustbowl), stupid substitution laws. We accept all these because they have always been there, and we want to preserve them for the history. The game has developed its narrative around all of these. But it will develop a narrative around the new twists that comes from night cricket.

A lot of discussion here sounds just like the discussion that was had when we started night football - 'Not Fair', 'What would Ted Whitten think', 'Football is a wet saturday afternoon in the outer at Windy Hill, not some theatre experience'. Now - it's accepted, we make allowances and the PRODUCT - as delivered to the customer - is far better.

My prediction - 6 months after the first Night Test, the over-riding feeling will be 'What took so long?'.

What changed between this season and last? It seemed as thought the same ball was used seemed to be used as last summer when the players overwhemingly came out against the day/night Shield games. Just following the scores it did also seem as though there was correlation between night play and batsmen struggling more as well. But that is based on very little, as at this stage is using the ball in Test matches.

It looks, as feared, as if CA are just hurrying it along for TV money regardless of what it does to the game. I hope its not the case and it works out, but I don't trust CA to value the game over the money any more than I do the BCCI or the AFL.

Reports from players coming out of the WA-QLD game were of the general consensus that the condition of the ball had improved. Now whether that's just an outcome of the game being played at the WACA rather than in humid weather in Brisbane is debatable.

Ok. I prefer test cricket to any other kind - because that's what I've grown up with, that has the history, and, by virtue of being a longer game has more dramatic storylines. Last night's game was pretty good, though.

BUT - it's still just sport. To say it is better than ODIs or 20/20 is like saying a marathon is better than the 100m - sure, maybe that's your opinion (or mine), but in the end, it's just a children's game played by adults, and people will pay to watch. And if the players want to be paid for it, it needs to be presented in a way that the spectator wants it. If they want to be paid a lot, these days that means prime time, on the tv.

Yes, the different coloured ball will cause some adjustment, yes, the lights will cause some issues. So what - current test cricket already has it's weird anomalies - dew in the morning, having a 40-minute break after barely 2 hours play (it's not like cricket is THAT physical an activity), a pitch that changes character over the 5 days (greentop to dustbowl), stupid substitution laws. We accept all these because they have always been there, and we want to preserve them for the history. The game has developed its narrative around all of these. But it will develop a narrative around the new twists that comes from night cricket.

A lot of discussion here sounds just like the discussion that was had when we started night football - 'Not Fair', 'What would Ted Whitten think', 'Football is a wet saturday afternoon in the outer at Windy Hill, not some theatre experience'. Now - it's accepted, we make allowances and the PRODUCT - as delivered to the customer - is far better.

My prediction - 6 months after the first Night Test, the over-riding feeling will be 'What took so long?'.

Very good post. I also have no problem with the potential for day/night test cricket being investigated. If implemented correctly in a responsible manner, I think there's plenty of reasons to think it can enhance the sport.

Surely, there are already enough cowboy competitions to appease people who just want to see lights, flares, unnecessary noise, coloured clothing, batsmen with their heads in the air, bowlers bowling pies, etc. Some of us out here actually love cricket, and Test cricket is the ultimate. Administrators must realize that we need to be catered for as well, not just drunken idiots who care more about where there next beer is coming from than a batsman making 100.

Test cricket is the only even contest between bat and ball, and that's what cricket lovers enjoy most.

No one is changing the rules? We just want to be able to watch test cricket. Why will people start bowling pies and batsmen throw their heads in the air because the game starts a couple of hours later...

Fairy over the top post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do some of the flat wickets we get with midget boundaries and massive bats provide a fair contest?
One team gets stuck with two night sessions and they have a good chance of losing the match on that alone. Not talking about between bat and ball.

I get the feeling playing under lights and night skies and everything that comes with it will lessen the standard of batting. Players will lose ability to bat long periods of time.

It will ruin cricket.

I'm all for this, just wish all three games of the series would be day/night. Anything that reduces the gap between the sides. Boult and Southee under lights with a pink ball, yes please. Hopefully Johnson has grown out of his purple patch by then ;)

Is there a chance this could be the first Test of the summer? Might make sense from a marketing perspective to kick off the summer with a different kind of novelty.

Adelaide might also spell Tahir's Test: Part 2 for Ish Sohdi.

I'm all for this, just wish all three games of the series would be day/night. Anything that reduces the gap between the sides. Boult and Southee under lights with a pink ball, yes please. Hopefully Johnson has grown out of his purple patch by then ;)

Is there a chance this could be the first Test of the summer? Might make sense from a marketing perspective to kick off the summer with a different kind of novelty.

Adelaide might also spell Tahir's Test: Part 2 for Ish Sohdi.

I expect it to be Hobart

Nothing changed.

Of course they're hurrying it along. They said out of the blue they would 'trial' it, already stating they wanted to be playing Tests day-night against NZ in a few years. They ignored the players complaints last season. This is straight out the AFL playbook.

It's awful.

There will not be a fair contest. At least with flat wickets, small boundaries and big bats it is the same for both sides.

Anyone who thinks that this is good for cricket needs a GHLAY.

Nothing changed.

Of course they're hurrying it along. They said out of the blue they would 'trial' it, already stating they wanted to be playing Tests day-night against NZ in a few years. They ignored the players complaints last season. This is straight out the AFL playbook.

It's awful.

There will not be a fair contest. At least with flat wickets, small boundaries and big bats it is the same for both sides.

Anyone who thinks that this is good for cricket needs a GHLAY.

Cricket has never been a perfectly even game. Teams have to deal with winning or losing the toss, changing weather conditions including cloud cover with the swinging ball as well as deteriorating pitches.

We have been playing odi's at night for decades now and you don't hear the players whinging about it not being a perfectly even contest.

Cricket has never been a perfectly even game. Teams have to deal with winning or losing the toss, changing weather conditions including cloud cover with the swinging ball as well as deteriorating pitches.

We have been playing odi's at night for decades now and you don't hear the players whinging about it not being a perfectly even contest.

The ball is the single most important part of the sport. You yourself admitted that you were okay with day-night Tests as long as the ball is right to go.

It isn't right to go.

World Series Cricket Supertests, 1978/79

Matches
WSC Australia v WSC World XI at Melbourne - Dec 8-11, 1978

WSC World XI 175 and 257; WSC Australia 150 and 180

WSC World XI won by 102 runs

Scorecard

WSC West Indies v WSC World XI at Sydney - Dec 21-23, 1978

WSC World XI 471; WSC West Indies 217 and 210 (f/o)

WSC World XI won by an innings and 44 runs

Scorecard

WSC Australia v WSC West Indies at Melbourne - Jan 12-15, 1979

WSC Australia 366 and 304/9d; WSC West Indies 419 and 126/2

Match drawn

Scorecard

Semi-Final: WSC Australia v WSC West Indies at Sydney - Jan 21-24, 1979

WSC West Indies 163 and 89; WSC Australia 185 and 68/0

WSC Australia won by 10 wickets

Scorecard

Final: WSC Australia v WSC World XI at Sydney - Feb 2-4, 1979

WSC Australia 172 and 219; WSC World XI 168 and 226/5

WSC World XI won by 5 wickets

Scorecard

What is the obsession with playing sport at night? I hate it. I prefer to watch all sports during the day (footy, cricket, tennis - everything). The only sport I will go to at night is footy and that is because in some instances I have no choice (all Hawthorn finals have been at night recently, or worse twilight :mad:). I absolutely loathe the idea of night test cricket and hope it never eventuates.

Heard an interview with Dan Christian on the radio yesterday and he didn't exactly give the current pink ball a ringing endorsement.

What is the obsession with playing sport at night? I hate it. I prefer to watch all sports during the day (footy, cricket, tennis - everything). The only sport I will go to at night is footy and that is because in some instances I have no choice (all Hawthorn finals have been at night recently, or worse twilight :mad:). I absolutely loathe the idea of night test cricket and hope it never eventuates.

Heard an interview with Dan Christian on the radio yesterday and he didn't exactly give the current pink ball a ringing endorsement.

Because the majority of us work during the day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back