Day/night Test cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

that’s like saying that in flat conditions with a red ball, bowlers and captains may as well give up. Build a spin attack that can function well, experiment with tactical fields. Hell, Neil Wagner has been my whipping boy for 2 years but the guy has a knack for making things happen when the ball and pitch won’t cooperate

No, it's saying that a ball which creates the same conditions in every Test it's used in is not a good spectacle. I don't even need to watch to predict what's going to happen, which is pretty much the worst result any professional sport can ask for.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
No, it's saying that a ball which creates the same conditions in every Test it's used in is not a good spectacle. I don't even need to watch to predict what's going to happen, which is pretty much the worst result any professional sport can ask for.

the conditions won’t be the same every test though if the pitches are different will they.
No matter how reluctant the thing is to swing, use it on a dry spinning pitch or a green seaming one and it will still be possible to do damage.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Love it. Packer started day/night Supertests. like four decades back...lol.. took until after he died for the ICC to get with the times...

Yes, it's an interesting one. There we had Kerry Packer out the back of the stand painting red balls white, and if the white paint wore up, he'd give it another coat and toss it back onto the field. Viewers at home were none the wiser, and the cricket was outstanding. It was primative stuff, but very entertaining.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
we follow a sport that is premised on variables. Bats are different from player to player. Pitches are different from not only ground to ground, but week to week. Ground sizes are different everywhere.Because of the game length different teams get different weather conditions. 3 Ball manufacturers create their red ball differently. I don’t see why this should be treated any differently.

The red ball is made (no matter who makes it) for the long form of the game. The pink ball is essentially the white ball with pink paint instead of white, it is made differently to the red ball is is not suitable for test matches. There was a long thread on the differences on how the white or pink is made verses the red ball. Bottom line is makes test cricket worse when they are supposedly trying to improve it. Cricket governing bodies don't have a clue.

The previous thread if anyone is interested:

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Yes, it's an interesting one. There we had Kerry Packer out the back of the stand painting red balls white, and if the white paint wore up, he'd give it another coat and toss it back onto the field. Viewers at home were none the wiser, and the cricket was outstanding. It was primative stuff, but very entertaining.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
The red ball is made (no matter who makes it) for the long form of the game. The pink ball is essentially the white ball with pink paint instead of white, it is made differently to the red ball is is not suitable for test matches. There was a long thread on the differences on how the white or pink is made verses the red ball. Bottom line is makes test cricket worse when they are supposedly trying to improve it. Cricket governing bodies don't have a clue.

The previous thread if anyone is interested:

happy to be corrected but I thought the pink ball was more of an issue not because it was the same as the white ball but because it got darker quicker hence the extra lacquer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back