Day vs Twilight vs Night Grand Final

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

day. waiting all day for the game to start would be s**t, plus you won't really have time to fully celebrate it after the game (well less time)

Day Grand Final works better for me when I think of the GF as an event across the day, rather than just a footy match.
e.g. the timing works nicely with pregame/arriving to the game in the morning without spending until night time waiting, the match is generally in the sunny afternoon which is usually nicer weather than the evening. Gives kids/families the opportunity to watch the game, have the afternoon BBQ gatherings or whatnot, and then enjoy the post game, and plenty of time in the evening for adults to go out and celebrate with dinner and either party into the night or still celebrate post game and get home at a reasonable time if that's their choice with kids, etc.

The night GF works better for TV ratings, that is all imo. I rate all the other stuff as more important.

If you are standing still you are going backwards.
A 2pm AEST is the worst time slot to grow the game.
Suck it up, there is zero chance it reverts to daytime.

It's hard for anyone to really say if they'd prefer a day or night GF, given we've never had a night GF.

I'd be fine if we tried it for 3-4 years and see how it went. Then at least there is some data (viewer numbers, quality of the matches, environment factors).

I know that it's not a great comparison, but the NRL grand final is a pretty good spectacle - the fact it's moved to night time hasn't diminished the event at all.

Back