What the heck? Dayle Garlett at it again

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
the evidence was there for all to see. people just selectively chose to ignore it

Or it was a matter of understanding the risks but having faith that someone could change. With the late draft picks the Hawks had, it means that they have to be a bit more willing to take risks to try to find that diamond in the rough.

An example of Hawthorn taking risks on draft choices is the number of players the Hawks have drafted from NSW (e.g. Bruest, Suckling, Smith). Sydney and GWS passed over these guys and NSW players are always harder to judge because they are coming from a weaker league. But with late draft picks you have to take a punt and be willing to take your lumps when it doesn't work out.

Would Aboriginals feel displaced without white invasion?

Would Aboriginals be prone to alcoholism and meth addiction without meth and alcohol – white things?
I'm a bit prone to a Bourbon or Whiskey, bloody idiot yanks and scots are ruining my liver.

Or it was a matter of understanding the risks but having faith that someone could change. With the late draft picks the Hawks had, it means that they have to be a bit more willing to take risks to try to find that diamond in the rough.

An example of Hawthorn taking risks on draft choices is the number of players the Hawks have drafted from NSW (e.g. Bruest, Suckling, Smith). Sydney and GWS passed over these guys and NSW players are always harder to judge because they are coming from a weaker league. But with late draft picks you have to take a punt and be willing to take your lumps when it doesn't work out.

incredibly risky and arrogant IMO but i guess if you've won another flag and one shortly before that you can afford to be like that

incredibly risky and arrogant IMO but i guess if you've won another flag and one shortly before that you can afford to be like that
It's not incredibly risky or arrogant when the depth of issues were not completely known by Hawthorn until they got him over to Melbourne.

No doubt, there was a risk/reward scenario in play, and sure we knew he had history of being off the rails, but Garlett had kept the real risk hidden from those who mattered long enough to get on a list.

And Swan Districts I'd suggest.

The only reason they took him on last year was for the $30,000

Heard this mentioned before. Surely it just stuffs their reputation the next time a decent player comes along and they are asked for their opinion?

Heard this mentioned before. Surely it just stuffs their reputation the next time a decent player comes along and they are asked for their opinion?

Fair point, but do you seriously think that a state club is going to tell a recruiter all the negative points about a player ?. They are selling a product, Caveat Emptor.

Recruiters these days spend so much time watching and analysing potential recruits, I suspect what is said by the "feeder" clubs, would be taken with a grain of salt. The recruiters are in alot of peoples ears :- media, team mates, coaches, family members etc.

The Hawks , like many other clubs, thought they could turn a rough diamond into a gem. It didn't work out, but hey they gave it a go.

Said it about Jurrah and then he went attacked someone. Will now say it about this dickhead. He needs to be put behind bars before he hurts someone.
What did Jurrah do before the fight in the top end?

Smith carved it up at VFL, not exactly a risk.

but thats the thing, it was well known over here what he was getting up to

the evidence was there for all to see. people just selectively chose to ignore it

It's all hindsight though isn't it. They took a punt on Brad Hill and that turned out sweet, Garlett not so much.

I must admit Garlett did himself no favours on social media, some things never change :oops:

Fair point, but do you seriously think that a state club is going to tell a recruiter all the negative points about a player ?. They are selling a product, Caveat Emptor.

Recruiters these days spend so much time watching and analysing potential recruits, I suspect what is said by the "feeder" clubs, would be taken with a grain of salt. The recruiters are in alot of peoples ears :- media, team mates, coaches, family members etc.

The Hawks , like many other clubs, thought they could turn a rough diamond into a gem. It didn't work out, but hey they gave it a go.

Swans have a recent history of being absolutely bullshiters, liars and cheats

Clubs won't trust them on their next questionable prospect

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not incredibly risky or arrogant when the depth of issues were not completely known by Hawthorn until they got him over to Melbourne.

No doubt, there was a risk/reward scenario in play, and sure we knew he had history of being off the rails, but Garlett had kept the real risk hidden from those who mattered long enough to get on a list.
I honestly couldn't believe it when Hawthorn took him so high given some of the stuff I'd heard over here.

Sorry but how did every other club know not to go near him but Hawthorn didn't? I'd suggest Hawthorn knew exactly what they were getting into but backed themselves to turn him around, but predictably (as all the other clubs predicted) it didn't pay off.

Sorry but how did every other club know not to go near him but Hawthorn didn't? I'd suggest Hawthorn knew exactly what they were getting into but backed themselves to turn him around, but predictably (as all the other clubs predicted) it didn't pay off.
"Every other club knew not to go near him" is not a statement of fact.

Hawthorn happened to be the club who drafted him, but others were going to take the punt if he was there when it came to their specified pick.

An example of Hawthorn taking risks on draft choices is the number of players the Hawks have drafted from NSW (e.g. Bruest, Suckling, Smith). Sydney and GWS passed over these guys and NSW players are always harder to judge because they are coming from a weaker league.
Suckling was at school in Melbourne and had turned down a NSW scholarship offer from Sydney and Smith has been living in Victoria playing VFL. Breust has been outstanding, but was taken in the third round of the rookie draft. None are examples of risky drafting from NSW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back