Dayle Garlett jailed for four years in WA

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney doesn't have the higher ground on any moral issue after that one.

How many clubs do have that moral high ground?

Covering up players' actions via money or influence was pretty common practice for many years.

Clubs paid several women off and police intimidated women out of making statements against players. There's numerous examples.

A celebrated Geelong West player was infamous for openly groping young women, to the point that some of his team-mates would steer them away from him when they came into the locker room, yet he's still a famous name in football.

A star player was involved in a quite nasty incident with a woman, paid her off and then went on to be involved in player development for years. How's that for an influence on young men?

Don't even get me started on a certain player manager...

Not exactly.

I'm told he has some issues that have always, and will continue to, hinder him throughout his life.

Jail isn't going to held this kid. It's a very sad story.
My bad explanation. I meant to reinforce that it was factors outside of Hawthorn's control that led events to where we are now.

Grew up povo, homeless half the time, s**t family, no role models, drugs/alcohol, probably surrounded violence (tends to go with alcoholism), looks like his mates are a bunch of ********s as well.

AFL demands a hell of a lot from people- who are pretty much kids when they start. He wasn't capable of taking his opportunities. It's a sad story. No one actually wants to end up in jail and give up a million dollar career. People tried, they failed. Hopefully he comes out rehabilitated but really that's not going to happen is it.

Agreed. Doesn't mean I don't think he should be in prison. He's done the crime. But I still feel sad for him that despite his talent, he really did have somewhat of a 'perfect storm' of not ever being able to fully utilise his talents

Not exactly.

I'm told he has some issues that have always, and will continue to, hinder him throughout his life.

Jail isn't going to held this kid. It's a very sad story.
Rather him in jail than doing damage to innocent members of society.

Rather him in jail than doing damage to innocent members of society.

this is basically where it go to. the judge and courts were very reluctant to put him inside and were doing everything to not jail him

sadly he didnt give them any other choice. thankfully he's off the streets now

Agreed. Doesn't mean I don't think he should be in prison.
Fair call.

Having said that, jail should serve the purpose of protecting the community and rehabilitating people so they're fit for society. He'll be off the streets for a while, but once he's out chances are he'll be even more of a danger than before.

This is sad. People seeing this as a win for society or themselves are quite simply the s**t human beings.

He has done some scumbag things, but Aboriginals deserve a seriously different lens. There are inherent issues even when well-off (in a western sense) Indigenous family. When someone grows up in a s**t area, with no solid parenting figures, an absence of care or self-worth, and being mates with who he is... it doesn't just take determination to get out of those funks, it takes some luck too.

He had amazing chances. He probably didn't even deserve to have the short chance he did at the Hawks. It's a sad waste of a potentially cool, rewarding, exciting lifestyle and from now on we'll just be hearing more and more about how this prick is in and out of jails, committing all these crimes...

I feel sorry for the bloke. This is a widespread issue for Aboriginals, especially in areas like Basso. It's depressing. Sadly hilarious when people with Goodes avatars don't see this...

But then again Bigfooty is full of Abbott loving mouth-breathers so of course it's all down to him as an individual/a-hole/whatever.
Pretty funny for a guy slagging off Adam Goodes in another thread. Must be windy in your ivory tower

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is sad. People seeing this as a win for society or themselves are quite simply the s**t human beings.

He has done some scumbag things, but Aboriginals deserve a seriously different lens. There are inherent issues even when well-off (in a western sense) Indigenous family. When someone grows up in a s**t area, with no solid parenting figures, an absence of care or self-worth, and being mates with who he is... it doesn't just take determination to get out of those funks, it takes some luck too.

He had amazing chances. He probably didn't even deserve to have the short chance he did at the Hawks. It's a sad waste of a potentially cool, rewarding, exciting lifestyle and from now on we'll just be hearing more and more about how this prick is in and out of jails, committing all these crimes...

I feel sorry for the bloke. This is a widespread issue for Aboriginals, especially in areas like Basso. It's depressing. Sadly hilarious when people with Goodes avatars don't see this...

But then again Bigfooty is full of Abbott loving mouth-breathers so of course it's all down to him as an individual/a-hole/whatever.
That is some of the biggest crap I have ever read.

Garlett had opportunities that most people dream of and pissed them all up against the wall. It has nothing to do with his up bringing or larger issues in society, the bloke is just a loser and jail will probably save him from either an OD or killing someone. He has had so many people try and reach out and help him, not just Hawthorn, but those in the WAFL and he didn't care. So regardless of what his ancestry is the bloke is a loser and deserves nobodies sympathy.

Collingwood waiting with contract in hand once the kid is released, they did alright with Krakouer.

That is some of the biggest crap I have ever read.

Garlett had opportunities that most people dream of and pissed them all up against the wall. It has nothing to do with his up bringing or larger issues in society, the bloke is just a loser and jail will probably save him from either an OD or killing someone. He has had so many people try and reach out and help him, not just Hawthorn, but those in the WAFL and he didn't care. So regardless of what his ancestry is the bloke is a loser and deserves nobodies sympathy.

Strongly disagree with that statement.

Sadly, throughout our society we have people who have inherited learned behaviours. Paedophiles, criminals, alcoholics etc usually only need to look back on their immediate role models.

Ok, not everyone and some just go down that wrong path regardless of chances they have.

I'll tell you now, this kid had no chance. In fact he did very well to get even close and discover an outlet in football.

Growing up homeless and dealing with alcoholism at 12 is hardly world at his feet

Sometimes you get out like jeff gartlett did. Sometimes you dont like dayle
Dayle clearly had had the chance to buy decided not to. In jail where the campaigner belongs.

Strongly disagree with that statement.

Sadly, throughout our society we have people who have inherited learned behaviours. Paedophiles, criminals, alcoholics etc usually only need to look back on their immediate role models.

Ok, not everyone and some just go down that wrong path regardless of chances they have.

I'll tell you now, this kid had no chance. In fact he did very well to get even close and discover an outlet in football.
Whilst I agree that some kids are born into a cycle where there is limited opportunity to escape it, sport is one of the best ways to get out.

He had a number of chances to escape and each time chose to go back to his party boy mates and their lives of crime. No-one forced him to leave Hawthorn and go back to it, just as no-one forced Liam Jurrah to go down the path he did. When you have people offer you a hand and way out and you turn your back on them you can't expect any sympathy.

Dayle clearly had had the chance to buy decided not to. In jail where the campaigner belongs.
and thats completely fair enough. He went out of control for a period of months and is just copping it now. Hopefully he gets the help he needs but sadly most the time it's not available to young men in prison

and thats completely fair enough. He went out of control for a period of months and is just copping it now. Hopefully he gets the help he needs but sadly most the time it's not available to young men in prison
I hate to say it mate, but you would think if he couldn't get it sorted at the football club, where they have the best people and would have had the best support you have to really wonder.

I hate to say it mate, but you would think if he couldn't get it sorted at the football club, where they have the best people and would have had the best support you have to really wonder.

Some people just don't want to be saved. Life is getting cheaper in too many paces worldwide right now.

Football club is a football club. Not an alcohol and drug rehab facility.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back