News & Events Daylight saving time

Remove this Banner Ad

Perth and San Diego are generally regarded as having the best living climates in the world. The fremantle doctor also moderates the temperatures in summer afternoons for coastal suburbs, pure bliss! It is probably one of the most important criteria to consider when moving to a new city, hence why Perth is home to a huge amount of english immigrants.

Loved the WA trial purely for the extra hour sleep I get before the Boxing Day Test
I remember it

I was stuck in a train in armadale where the thing completely broke down.

So i was in a train, i left at 1.30, suddenly train breaks down, it's 3am i've got work at 9am, The train company keeps telling us we're getting free taxi's for me and two mates because of the mess and the other 4 people on the trainto drop us off home

So we waited untill 4am for these taxi's, they neglected to mention they dropped us off the mciver train station. not "free taxi's" but just dropping us off one stop from the freaking perth train station.

The trend in the Perth referendum showed that support for DST diminished the further away from the coast you got. Those living in seaside suburbs were most in favour, presumably because of cooler average temperatures and easier access to the beach after work.

For the average person in the eastern suburbs of Perth, there's little advantage to having longer, hotter evenings given the temperatures already endured. It just means you have to wait even longer for the Doctor to come in. I can understand why the referendum was defeated, even if it is a pain for anybody who works in an industry requiring communication and travel between Perth and the east coast.

DST would be fine in SE Queensland but terrible for most of the state. Most bananabenders don't want Queensland on two different timezones, for a bunch of reasons.

Possibly going to the park after work, walking with kids, walking the pets, going out for a drink or something to eat and being able to sit outside for a bit longer while it's light, going for a kyak down the river, be able to go for a run in the light an hr later. More people out means more places are open which in turn means more competition and cheaper prices

Also means less fat people as it's much easier doing excercise when it's lighter. I'm just assuming more people excercise in the afternoon / at night as I do, could very well be proven wrong

So glad I moved from Perth to Melbourne. Love daylight savings

In summer the sun can rise as early as 4.50am here because we're on the eastern side of our time zone, and the birds start making noise at around 4.30am and it sucks. It gets very annoying when you wake up to wizz at 4.30am and can't get back to sleep, I hated it when I was at school because I had to wait about 4 hours for school and I couldn't really do anything beforehand apart from getting ready. Also if you're working that early, you should expect it to be dark when you leave for work.

I am in Brisbane now and couldn't believe it when i woke up at 4 30 am and the sun was already coming up, madness!

I have heard some people are against it because they think they will have to work an extra hour in the day o_O

Last edited:
I am in Brisbane now and couldn't believe it when i woke up at 4 30 am and the sun was already coming up, madness!

I have heard some people are against it because they think they will have to work an extra hour in the day o_O
Same in WA. You get used to it after a while, the worst bit is when you have kids that get up when the sun comes up just have to block out the light to their room.

The arguments against DLS stink considering where Australia sits relative to the equator.

In Perth we'd have sunrise at 6.30 and sunset at 8.30 instead of 5.30 and 7.30 as it is (ish) now. Not Earth shattering in terms of daylight hours compared to Europe or the UK and if it's oppressively hot then it's going to be oppressively hot regardless of what the clock says. Was 28 degrees at 11pm the other night. Would DLS have made it cooler? No.

"Only white man cut the button off blanket, sew it to the top and think he have a longer blanket"

Some actually do, and don't get paid for that hour. Of course it all balances out come March when they work one hour less that night; provided they get that shift!

These people are working for shonky employers. The hour worked doesn't disappear because the clock goes back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I kinda hate it because here in Tassie at the peak of summer it gets dark at like 9.30-9.45pm

I just hate having to adjust to it again every six months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back