Traded Dayne Beams (2014-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be borne out over time. Leveraging the trade to keep us in the first round of two drafts despite landing Lachie Neale really was great business.

Exactly how great will be revealed over time... how good Ely Smith and whoever we take this year turn out to be, and how long Beams can keep performing at his current level before his body fails him.

I am sleeping easy at this point either way.

I think it's fair to say that your view on this has been vindicated

Is there any cause for concern that Ely Smith is the only new draftee to have not extended? Only raise it here as TBD mentioned him in his post. Having seen all of our Reserves games, albeit on YouTube and down at Casey, he has probably been the least impressive of all the draftees to date acknowledging there is a long way to go.

what current rumours?
Gambling problems, lots of debt, Eddie Everywhere apparently bailed him out. The thread in the rumours board is interesting, someone posted a bit of photographic evidence earlier today that suggests there may be some legs to this one.

what current rumours?

As above, some coincidences in his game he didnt play for the Pies this year linked to him dropping 65k on races and getting in strife for it. If any of its true, I hope he does get the help he needs. Gambling is often an escape/coping mechanism that can cause serious issues.

Dayne involved in single car accident ....reported on HUN site. Was knocked unconcious when his car hit a pole. Not seriously injured though.

Dayne involved in single car accident ....reported on HUN site. Was knocked unconcious when his car hit a pole. Not seriously injured though.
According to the Age, the police are 'investigating the reason' for the crash. He was taken to hospital so would have been subject to blood tests I would think.

According to the Age, the police are 'investigating the reason' for the crash. He was taken to hospital so would have been subject to blood tests I would think.

Yep...There is also a bit of talk of being run off the road by members of the leather patched fraternity...

Collingwood and Dayne Beams’ management to work out settlement for midfielder’s exit
Despite having three years to run on a four-year deal, Collingwood and Dayne Beams’ management will now work towards reaching a settlement in relation to the estimated $1.5 million remaining on his contract.
Sam Edmund and Michael Warner, Herald Sun.

Dayne Beams has played his last game for Collingwood.
Despite having three years to run on a four-year deal worth about $2 million, all parties are resigned to the fact Beams’ 177-game career is over.

Beams, who turned 30 on Wednesday, has barely stepped foot inside the club for months as he deals with mental health issues.

The 2010 premiership player, All-Australian and two-time best and fairest winner was involved in a car accident in the Melbourne suburb of Donvale on Thursday afternoon and stayed in hospital overnight with minor injuries.

Collingwood and Beams’ management will now work towards reaching a settlement in relation to the estimated $1.5 million remaining on his contract.

The Pies gave up two first round picks during the 2018 trade period as part of the deal to bring the midfielder back to the club, but Beams managed only nine games last season and none after Round 11.

He had hip and shoulder surgery and was admitted to hospital in September after an adverse reaction to pain medication.
Beams twice took a leave of absence from the club last year to deal with mental health issues.

His recruitment was the subject of strong internal debate at Collingwood, with club chiefs split on whether it was the right call to bring him back.

The Beams exit will be a test case for the AFL as an increasing number of players step away from the game to deal with mental health issues.

Tom Boyd retired last year because of a back injury and a mental health condition, but walked away from the $1.5 million owed to him by the Bulldogs in the last two years of his deal.

In one scenario, Beams could argue he is entitled to the entirety of the $1.5 million left on his contract, likening his mental health problems to a physical injury such as a career-ending knee problem.

The Magpies, who have star trio Jordan De Goey, Darcy Moore and Scott Pendlebury out of contract at seasons end, face a delicate negotiation.

Beams in December put his AFL career on hold for the second time in six months, saying he was seeking “a brighter future”.

“Trying to improve my quality of life and meet the demands of playing and training for football at the elite level continues to be a struggle,” Beams said two months ago.

“My health and football have come to feel like competing priorities, which is not a position that is helping or enabling me to meet my responsibilities.

“I have been trying to meet this challenge for a number of years but, with a series of debilitating recent injuries and my mental health a work in progress, I have reached a point where I know that stepping away from football is necessary.

“I want to thank all who have supported me and my family. I look forward to a brighter future.”

Beams surprised many by organising a trip to the Kokoda Track in October and has started painting as a form of therapy.

He last month put his 2010 premiership medal up for auction to raise money for bushfire victims, with Collingwood president Eddie McGuire registering the highest bid and purchasing it for $27,500

The Hun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or he just ran into a pole, happened to a guy i worked with. Clear road no weather or visibility problems but managed to run head on into a truck.
Yep, very good chance that it is just that.. I'm not in the know just posting on the current talk and I can see the connection being made on previous money loan rumours and maybe a hurry up to make a decision on his playing future and payouts... Donvale is a fair distance from Beams home/gallery. It has a strong presence of patched fraternity recently linked to standover tactics and shootings...Police raided houses of said fraternity in Donvale and Melbourne businesses, one owned by Bikie enforcer Toby Mitchell and ex-footballer Jake King

Yep, very good chance that it is just that.. I'm not in the know just posting on the current talk and I can see the connection being made on previous money loan rumours and maybe a hurry up to make a decision on his playing future and payouts... Donvale is a fair distance from Beams home/gallery. It has a strong presence of patched fraternity recently linked to standover tactics and shootings...Police raided houses of said fraternity in Donvale and Melbourne businesses, one owned by Bikie enforcer Toby Mitchell and ex-footballer Jake King

I was actually positing that it may have been more about his mental state but sure.

His paintings are stunning.....and dare I say, even the one with the magpie. He should be able to make a comfortable living from them imo.

Very, very talanted, and he didn't realise it until in the mental health facility

Here's two from the vault. An 18-year-old Dayne Beams at Gold Coast Airport in December 2008 getting ready to fly to Melbourne for his first AFL pre-season with Collingwood. Beama was coming off a season in which he captained the U18 Queensland team at the National Championships as well as taking part in the Southport Sharks' QAFL Premiership win. He turned down a guaranteed three-year contract with what was then known as GC17 just a few weeks before these pictures were taken. You may also notice a 17-year-old Claye Beams in the second picture who was about to give footy another crack with the Labrador Tigers after mostly pursuing cricket in the years leading up to this moment.

I4Lk4Xk.jpg

rczURuI.jpg

Bryce Retzlaff next to Claye.

Bryce Retzlaff next to Claye.
Good pick up. As you guys probably already know, Bryce and Claye went on to play for Labrador the following season before both being drafting by Brisbane. It seems like you guys became a little obsessed with recruiting Gold Coasters at that point with Southport's Broc McCauley also being drafted to Lions that year. It makes sense considering you were about to lose access to all Queenslanders for the next 2-3 years but it is interesting to see Brisbane's attempt to stockpile GC talent before the Suns entered the league.

Good pick up. As you guys probably already know, Bryce and Claye went on to play for Labrador the following season before both being drafting by Brisbane. It seems like you guys became a little obsessed with recruiting Gold Coasters at that point with Southport's Broc McCauley also being drafted to Lions that year. It makes sense considering you were about to lose access to all Queenslanders for the next 2-3 years but it is interesting to see Brisbane's attempt to stockpile GC talent before the Suns entered the league.
No where near as obsessive as the AFL has for giving your pathetic club never ending concessions to the detriment of every other club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back