Traded Dayne Beams (2014-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dayne Beams ‘deeply honoured’ to be named new Brisbane Lions captain

NEW captain Dayne Beams has promised Lions fans that their team would not “drop our lip” during tough times in 2017. The appointment of a “deeply honoured’’ Beams as captain to replace Tom Rockliff, who has been relegated to the vice-captaincy, continues the new-broom mentality which became a force at the Lions last year.

It gives the Lions a Queensland-raised captain for the first time since Michael Voss retired in 2006 as they bid to rebuild their presence in the state. “Realistically, we’re going to cop our hits this year, but we’re not going to do is drop our lip like we might have last year, just hang out for the season to end,’’ Beams said. “We will fight because we know we are looking at sustained success. “It might not happen this year, although we will be trying to win every game of footy. “Sooner rather than later, we’re in the top half of the ladder again.

“Where we might have fallen down last year is we might have fractured a bit as a group towards the end of the year. There was a lot of noise around the footy club and I don’t think it helped.

“It’s a lot more stable this year. The real test will come through the year if we haven’t won many game, but what we’ve done with (player development program) Leading Teams will hold us in good stead if that time does come.’’

dad0b47b77db84be32531e8c5d7605a6

Beams, 27, said he “absolutely’’ wanted to play the remainder of his career at Lions. The Lions players were invited by new coach Chris Fagan to vote on a preferred captain. Fagan and football department chiefs made their own recommendation from the vote tally to their club board, who approved a seven-man leadership group including Dayne Zorko in a role as deputy vice-captain.

The players were told of the appointments on Monday night and Beams said he and Rockliff had spoken about the appointments with others. “Tom is really open to supporting me. I need his support,’’ Beams said. “Tom copped his fair whack in the media last year and the way he’s responded has been first class. I couldn’t be happier to have him in my corner.”

fbe6b88ed891982c79abca8d01a3e4bf

Injuries have restricted Beams to just 18 games for Brisbane in his first two seasons after his contentious transfer from Collingwood. “It’s always the question mark that will be around me: will my body hold up?,’’ said Beams, who will play his first pre-season game tomorrow night in the JLT Community Series against the Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium. “It’s a fair question. I have done everything possible to make sure I am playing every game this year.’’

“PERHAPS those who are best suited to power are those who have never sought it. Those who have leadership thrust upon them and take up the mantle because they must.”

That quote, from Albus Dumbledore in the final novel of author JK Rowling’s Harry Potter series, could be used to describe Dayne Beams.

To say Brisbane needed a change of captain is an understatement akin to suggesting the Harry Potter stories sold a few copies.

Beams’ predecessor Tom Rockliff enjoyed the support of a lot of players. Convincing one of the youngest, most impressionable sides in the competition to follow him was not a huge task for a strong personality.

However, to steal another quote on leadership, anyone can steer the ship, it takes a leader to chart the course.

Under Beams, Brisbane will be headed in the right direction.

The 27-year-old has never coveted captaincy.

266aaa2646e01f3e2d33739d0d231dd0

When he came “home” to Brisbane as a high priced recruit, he had about as much leverage as a player gets — not once did he attempt to use that to advance himself within the playing group. He was happy, and deep down would still prefer, to be just a footballer.

But he became uncomfortable with what he saw last season and the direction the playing group was heading, and made it known to officials that if they needed him, he was ready to serve. Beams will be a leader by example.

He has work to do in other areas. He is the first to admit to shortcomings in the PR and media space. Being named captain of an AFL club would be the best day of most footballers’ lives. Beams probably hated all the attention. He has taken up the mantle because he must.

Beams' outstanding return
BEING captain could make Brisbane Lions midfielder Dayne Beams an even better player, according to his coach Chris Fagan.

The new skipper showed his class on Thursday night against the defending premiers, picking up 24 disposals in a little over three quarters.

Fagan told AFL.com.au that Beams' return against the Bulldogs was outstanding given it was his first game since round eight last season.

"I think the captaincy will lead to a rise in his performance," Fagan said. "To me, he is a guy who seems to enjoy responsibility. We saw that a little bit last night."

The 27-year-old has played just 18 games with the Lions since being traded from Collingwood at the end of 2014.

He was equal winner of the club’s best and fairest in 2015, despite playing 16 games before shoulder and knee problems kept him sidelined for all but two games last year. Fagan was surprised with Beams' output in his first game of 2017.

"To go in and play like that was above the expectation we had of him," Fagan said. "We were just happy to have him back out there and were hoping he would get through the three-quarters and feel pretty good about [himself]."

Fagan said the performance was an example of the new skipper's resilience. "When you are out of the game for that long you get a little bit nervous and worried that the body is going to stand up," Fagan said.

"That has probably been a little bit of the mental battle that he has had over the last four to six weeks as he has approached that night where he is going to start playing again."

Beams will lead a midfield contained Daniel Rich, Dayne Zorko, Tom Rockliff and, when fit, Allen Christensen.

Despite his prediction, Fagan said Beams remained in the comeback phase, so there was no pressure on him to perform. "Who knows? Next week he might play better or he might not," Fagan said.

"It's all about getting out there each week and as each game passes and his confidence comes, he will become a really important player for us."

Brisbane Lions captain Dayne Beams inspired by Scott Pendlebury, Nick Maxwell
NICK Maxwell and Scott Pendlebury will serve as inspiration for new Brisbane Lions skipper Dayne Beams as he hopes to become the most well-rounded leader he can be.

The former Pie was appointed to the role last month and admitted that he “wasn’t a very good leader” when he was elevated to leadership group responsibilities at Collingwood in 2012. “I’ve matured a lot since I left Collingwood,” Beams said today.

“You look back at it now and I learned a lot off guys like (former Collingwood captain) Nick Maxwell and Scott Pendlebury that you didn’t really know that you were learning back then. “Until you’re out of there and mature enough to realise that you don’t really understand how good a leaders those guys were.”

He caught up with Pendlebury at the league’s annual captain’s day at the MCG and said Maxwell will be a valuable source to tap into.“Not in particular in the last couple of weeks (have I contacted anyone in particular), but I still try and catch up with Nick when I come back to Melbourne — I’m still great friends with him,” Beams said.“He’s been the best captain that I’ve ever played under. I’ve just tried to pick apart not only Nick, but guys like Scott and Tom Rockliff. I’ve picked bits and pieces out of their leadership styles and tried to add it to my own. “I want to be my own leader as well as interrelating and adding things those guys have done well.”

C6_1D9ZU4AA-7ZI.jpg:small

Beams will be supported in the Lions’ leadership ranks by now-former skipper Rockliff, who he said has won back the respect of the playing group after a tumultuous 2016. “He would admit himself that he wouldn’t have expected to be captain of the footy club at the end of last year. And he was right in contention to be the captain again,” Beams said.

“To have the boys think highly enough of him in that regard, he’s done an amazing amount of work over the last four or five months to earn that respect back. “He copped a fair whack (after talk he wanted out and disappointment from the club after a disrespectful tweet) ... he’s been able to put his head down and work hard. I’m looking forward to Tom’s support and I’m going to lean on him over the next year. He’s definitely someone I’m going to need in my corner.”

Thirteen Herald Sun football magazine experts recently tipped the Lions to win this year’s wooden spoon, with Beams adamant that setting a pass mark of wins is not on the team’s agenda. “We’re after constant improvement and development,” he said. “We haven’t put any markers around wins or losses, but we’re expecting to improve.”

A burst of footy that was as good as it gets: Dayne Beams

DAYNE Beams says Saturday night's opening 20-minute onslaught against Gold Coast was as good as he's played in.

The new Brisbane Lions captain - a member of Collingwood's 2010 premiership team - was a major catalyst for his team's blistering start, resulting in the game's first seven goals.

The Lions - amid a haze of defensive pressure and slick ball movement not seen by the club in many years - led 45-1 before the Suns had blinked.

Beams finished with 28 disposals (21 in the first half) and won the Marcus Ashcroft Medal as his team clung to a two-point win.

"Our first 20 minutes was unbelievable," Beams said on Monday morning.

"I've played a fair bit of footy and played in some successful sides, and that 20 minutes of footy was as good as I've played in.

"It was a really good start to the game."

Beams was just as impressed by his team's composure to halt a tidal wave of Suns momentum in the second half to win.

Gold Coast levelled the scores during the final quarter before the Lions steadied.

Beams said his team had "run out of gas" and praised their defence for holding up against 74 inside-50s.

"Harris Andrews and the boys down back did an enormous job to stand up under that type of pressure, so a really big tick for those guys," he said.

"Across the board I thought we defended really well.

"We're still heavily in a learning phase and we'll learn from that second half on Saturday.

"We'll make sure we try and rectify a few things, whether that be just slow the ball down and control the footy a bit to take that momentum away, but we'll have a look more in depth to see what we can do there."

The Lions play Essendon on Saturday night, with the match confirmed to be played at the Gabba after further inspections over the weekend.

The venue was in doubt due to a decision to grow new grass on a damaged patch following the Adele concert.

"It looks in pristine condition, so it'll be good to get back out there again," Beams said.

Five talking points: Gold Coast v Brisbane Lions

2. Beams’ leadership light shines bright
Lead by example is obviously the mantra of new Lions captain Dayne Beams. He produced a brilliant first-up display, the influence far beyond his 28 possessions. Beams went head-to-head with Gary Ablett in the first half and took the honours, and he was right there to steady his troops when the Suns threatened to steal the game in the gripping final quarter. Likewise, Ablett was pivotal to the Gold Coast charge with his quick hands and efficient disposal to illustrate he will be a force again this season.

495180-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Lions claim their first win of Season 2017

Marcus Ashcroft Medal voting 5* – Dayne Beams (Brisbane Lions) 3,2

5 – Gary Ablett (Gold Coast SUNS) 2,2,1
4 – Touk Miller (Gold Coast SUNS) 3,1
3 – Tom Rockliff (Brisbane Lions) 3
1 – Steven May (Gold Coast SUNS) 1

* In the case of a tie, there will be a count back with the medal awarded to the player with the most 3 votes. If it is still tied, then to the player with the most 2 votes. If it is still a tie, the tied player who was awarded the highest points by the Chairman, will be awarded the medal.

Judge voting – 3 2 1

Simon Black (Triple M, Chairman) – Dayne Beams, Gary Ablett, Steven May
Brian Lake (Fox Footy) – Tom Rockliff, Gary Ablett, Touk Miller
Michael Whiting (AFL Media) – Touk Miller, Dayne Beams, Gary Ablett

We finally have another natural, strong leader, who leads by example. I always said that with Voss and Browny, you could "feel and see" their leadership through the tv. It was "just there". Beams has the same presence about him imo.

I never felt that with Rockliff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane Lions 2017 AFL mid-season report card: Is this what we expected?
STANDOUT STAR: New Lions captain Dayne Beams, in his third season with the club, is doing everything asked of him. After being restricted to just two games last year, the 27-year-old has played eight matches thus far. Beams is consistently among the club's better players and helped himself to 40 touches against Adelaide two weeks ago, as well as 36 possessions against the Bulldogs. Dayne Zorko is another strong contributor and sits sixth overall for kicks and 33rd for disposals. Perhaps expect Hipwood to vie for top billing in the standout star category in coming years.

Morale high at the Lions: Beams
FREMANTLE threw a punch at Brisbane on Saturday and the Lions absorbed it before responding with a blistering combo that knocked the Dockers out. In the context of the season, the 57-point win didn’t mean much, the Lions are still likely to be in the race for the wooden spoon.

But as a moment in their development, it was significant. The ladder shows the Lions have won two games, an improvement of just one win at the halfway point of last year.

New skipper Dayne Beams sees things a little differently.

“The wins are like the icing on the cake,’’ he said. “We have turned things around, I’ve been at the club three years now, and in terms of wins and losses things may not look that different but the morale is so much better, the attitude is so much better and that is what is going to make us a better footy club. “The coaches come to work motivated and passionate and that is rubbing off on the team. “I’ve been at another club, I know what it looks like when things are done well and everything I see here, we are going OK.’’

2c7ce32f21c67d52f6eedd1229e81f3a

New coach Chris Fagan and Beams share something in common. Having come to the Lions from big clubs accustomed to success both had to work their way through the shock of repeated losses.

“I will be honest it is something I struggle with, I can get emotional after games and Chris has picked up on that part of my personality and he has been great for me because I feel responsible as the captain of the club,’’ he said. Fagan’s method is to talk about little wins.

After 12 rounds last year the Lions had lost six games by 10 goals or more, this year there has been two. “It is a small thing and I wouldn’t have known that until he said it, but as a developing group you need to look for evidence you are improving and Chris is really good at that, he will present a bit of vision or some sort of evidence that we are heading in the right direction,’’ he said.

“We’ve still had heavy defeats and we’re not at all satisfied with that, but in all of those games we have been in positions we haven’t been in the past, our first five games we were in winning positions in all of them.’’ The former Collingwood premiership player accepts he may never win the ultimate prize again but says he will be satisfied if he can play a part in preparing the Lions’ next premiership side.

“I hope I do and I’m doing everything I can to try to achieve that, but I am also focusing on getting our side in the position to be able to challenge for a premiership. “That drives me, I enjoy working with the younger guys and helping them develop as footballers and as men.’’

Beams praises Zorko

Beams said the experience would be invaluable for his emerging group.

“It was good for the young group to taste victory again – round one was the last one so it was good to get back in the winners’ circle,” said Beams. It was the Lions' first win at the Gabba since round 21 last year.

The home side came out firing, taking on Fremantle through the centre of the ground and playing on at all opportunities in a complete four-quarter performance. “We go into every game trying to win – we did approach it as a winnable game,” said Beams.

“We were fresh and they were coming off a six day break – Perth to Brisbane is the longest flight in footy. “There were a few things going our way and we thought we could get on top of them early. “We started well and they came at us early in the second but we were able to repel that and go on to have a good win.”

Beams considers Bugg-like Twitter sledge to get under best mate's skin
DAYNE Beams says he might take a page from Tomas Bugg's social media book and needle his best mate Heath Shaw ahead of the Giant's 250th game on Saturday. Bugg stirred up some controversy on Sunday when he posted a message to Western Bulldogs opponent – and friend – Jason Johannisen in the hours before they played. Beams, the Brisbane Lions captain, liked the ploy so much he said he might do something similar before running out against Shaw at the Gabba.

"Why not? He's got Twitter. I might do something like that if you've got any suggestions," Beams said. "I think fans want to see that from players. "I think it's great theatre. When you're watching the game it makes for those one-on-one rivalries. I think it's great."

Beams said Bugg had to stick to his guns and he couldn't wait to see what the Demon came up with ahead of his next game. Beams played alongside Shaw at Collingwood for five seasons and said it was a "great achievement" to reach his milestone. "With all his misdemeanours, he could have played 300," Beams laughed. "He's someone I played a lot of footy with, he's my best mate. "All my good memories have been with Heath outside of footy, we've had some great times together."

The Lions are coming off a 40-point loss to Port Adelaide and, despite their improved form of late, will be heavy underdogs against the Giants. One man that has been brilliant all season has been Dayne Zorko, and Beams said Zorko deserved strong consideration for a Virgin Australia AFL All Australian spot. "I don't think Zork gets the credit he should. "If he was playing at a Melbourne club - and I've played at a Melbourne club - and producing the type of footy he's producing, he'd be talked about a lot. "I look at the competition now, I watch a bit of footy, and he's a top five player. "He's always been a very talented player but probably maybe lacked a bit of consistency, but he's producing every week now and is vitally important for us. "His form's as good as anyone's." Zorko is averaging 27 disposals and seven tackles from 12 games, and has kicked 18 goals.

Star Lion out after big hit from Mumford
THE BRISBANE Lions have suffered a huge blow just one minute into their match against GWS, with captain Dayne Beams suffering a suspected shoulder injury.

Beams was collected heavily but fairly in a hip-and-shoulder by Giant ruckman Shane Mumford, and left the ground supporting his arm with his guernsey.

The midfielder's injured left shoulder isn't the same one he had reconstructed during 2015.

One of the most important players for the Lions, Beams has been a crucial cog in the midfield.

He has had a horrific run with injury, missing all but two matches in 2016 with knee problems.
2406_Beams.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back