Traded Dayne Beams (2014-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dayne Beams A Silver Lining

The strong return of Dayne Beams from an eight-month injury battle was a silver lining to Brisbane Lions' dark day against Port Adelaide. Beams made his long-awaited comeback from shoulder and knee tendon injuries and didn't miss a beat with 30 possessions - 15 of them contested, 8 clearances, and a goal. The 2012 All-Australian said his time on the sidelines had made him a better person and a better footballer.

“It’s been a long time going back to August last year. I’ve been in the wilderness for a while and to be honest, it’s been difficult at times,’’ Beams told the Sunday Mail. “So there’s definitely excitement and relief to be back out there playing again, doing what I love. “The injury rehab group is a small group and you are away from the rest of the boys but it’s taught me a lot about my body and I’ve also built up some mental resilience. “You try to take the positives and I’ve been able to really knuckle down on a few things in my life. “I’ve changed what I do as a person from what I eat to what I do around the footy club. In that regard, it’s been good to be in the rehab group. “I wished I learned those lessons earlier in my career. You are never too old to absorb information.’’

Beams and his wife Kelly are expecting their first child at the end of September and the midfielder said the excitement had also helped deal with the double-barrelled injury blow. “During the tough times when you get a bit flat, it has always been in the back of my mind and it is something that gets you through tough days,’’ he said.

Brisbane Lions Senior Coach Justin Leppitsch said Beams should be happy with his return on a personal level. "He was good. He had patches where we put him forward for a bit to try and nurse him through but he had a pretty good output, didn't he, for a guy who hasn't played [recently]," Leppitsch said. "Great leadership and great class and poise, which he's got."

He should be captain of this club.

Is the logical choice for mine too and something I wouldn't be against at all.

I'm of the view that Rocky just needs to get his body sorted and possibly have an extended break to do so because it is evident he just keeps breaking down, which from the outside looking in is due to him trying to come back too soon.

IT'S A BIG WEEK FOR
Dayne Beams... It's not the first time the ex-Magpie has played his former club – that happened in round one last year – but a win here would mean plenty to Beams. His first game of 2016 against Port last week was a ripper, and sometimes the second game back after a long break is the toughest. He'll be desperate to do well in his first game at the Gabba since last July.

429641_nl.jpg

The defecting dozen: How have stars performed against their old sides?

8. Dayne Beams (110 games for Collingwood 2009-14)
Round one, 2015:
Collingwood 12.14 (86) defeated Brisbane Lions 11.8 (74) at The Gabba.
Beams: 33 disposals, 26 handballs, 7 kicks, 19 contested possessions, 9 clearances.

A chance to be closer to his family led Beams to the Lions and he didn't have to wait long to face Collingwood for the first time. In the opening round of 2015, Beams had 26 handballs, 19 contested possessions and nine clearances, but the Magpies prevailed by 12 points at the Gabba.

But Leppitsch is sure of one thing, that midfield star Dayne Beams will deliver against his old club. Beams made a successful comeback from serious shoulder and knee injuries with 30 disposals, eight clearances, four inside 50 entries and a goal against Port Adelaide last weekend.

Leppitsch expects more quality from the 2010 Collingwood premiership player and 2012 Magpies best-and-fairest winner. “It’s so hard when you play against your old team. Some people lift and some don’t. I expect him to lift. He’s a class player and he’s a pro,’’ he said. “You don’t have to worry about your good players because they tend to have the output every week, don’t they. “We have to make sure we are good as a team. Individually, we can be very good but it doesn’t necessarily get you the win.’’
5aeb98b1781621485616745b90bc6d9c

Lions may put Beams on ice for the season
BRISBANE Lions midfielder Dayne Beams may miss the rest of the season to nurse his left knee injury, Lions chief executive Greg Swann says.

The 26-year-old received a knock to his troublesome knee during the Lions' 78-point loss to Collingwood on Saturday night.

After starting the second half up forward, Beams was forced to sit out of the match midway through that term after experiencing the same knee tendinitis symptoms he has battled for most of the year.

Swann said Beams' knee "blew up" after his latest knock, adding the Lions would not rush the gifted midfielder back into the squad.

"We'll see what happens with it but if it's not right it might be a similar thing to Nat Fyfe where you just put him out and make sure we get him right," Swann told radio station 3AW on Sunday.

"If it takes 10 weeks or the rest of the season, so be it."

Beams has had a luckless run with left knee tendinitis since early in the new year, and only took part in his first appearance for the season against Port Adelaide last Sunday.

He will now have scans to determine the severity of his latest setback before a decision is made on his recovery.

We need to look at our medical staff. I know posters on here like to back in our club (IMO in a condescending manner against those with differing views) but these recurring injuries have to be looked at. Beams another notch in the belt of the club doctors failing to assess the situation properly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to look at our medical staff. I know posters on here like to back in our club (IMO in a condescending manner against those with differing views) but these recurring injuries have to be looked at. Beams another notch in the belt of the club doctors failing to assess the situation properly.

This latest problem was a knock to the knee...wasn't the original issue tendinitis?

I've read his tendinitis is flaring up again. If it's true then I would be hugely disappointed especially after what happened last season with Rocky and co.

I thought Greg Swann said it was a recurrence of the tendinitis as a result of a knock in an interview today.

Irrespective, can't help but think we've rushed back another player to the detriment of the player and the team.

Star Lions Tom Rockliff, Dayne Beams have scans to determine 2016 future

BRISBANE Lions prime movers Tom Rockliff and Dayne Beams are undergoing tests on Monday afternoon to determine their fate for the remainder of 2016.

Meanwhile, Beams is having an MRI in Brisbane to determine the extent of the knee injury that flared up in Saturday night's loss against Collingwood.

The reigning joint best-and-fairest winner missed the first six matches with knee tendinitis and, in just his second match back, copped a knock on the tendon that caused him enough pain to be taken off with one quarter remaining. Surgery is a potential option for the 26-year-old, but the club expects to know more in the next 24 hours.

I stand corrected.

Injury Update: Beams & Rockliff
BRISBANE Lions prime movers Tom Rockliff and Dayne Beams will learn more about the extent of their injuries after undergoing tests on Monday afternoon.

Meanwhile, Beams is having an MRI in Brisbane to determine the extent of the knee injury that flared up in Saturday night's loss against Collingwood.

The reigning joint best-and-fairest winner missed the first six matches with knee tendinitis and, in just his second match back, copped a knock on the tendon that caused him enough pain to be taken off with one quarter remaining.

Surgery is a potential option for the 26-year-old, but the club expects to know more in the next 24 hours.
438699_nl.jpg

Star Lion's season in doubt with mystery tendon injury

BRISBANE Lions midfielder Dayne Beams will undergo knee surgery next week and could miss the rest of the season.

Beams has struggled with knee tendinitis since the pre-season and only played his first game against Port Adelaide two weeks ago.

He copped a knock on the knee against Collingwood last Saturday night and will undergo surgery next Thursday.

"We're not sure of an end point, whether it's a month or the end of the season," Lions coach Justin Leppitsch said.

The injury is a complication from the tendinitis but has doctors confused.

"His tendon looks OK, but there's still some pain in the area, so there's some unknown," Leppitsch said.

"That's been the frustration for Dayne, is that when you have an injury that even the medical profession is not sure about why there's bits of pain there and why the pain is so strong, that's where the frustration comes from.

"We'll get answers on that post-surgery."

It continues a wretched run for Beams, who had a shoulder reconstruction at the end of last season and missed the final five rounds.

Seems Beams out for year: Leppa
BRISBANE coach Justin Leppitsch is braced for star midfielder Dayne Beams to miss the rest of the season with a knee injury. Beams will undergo exploratory surgery in Melbourne on Thursday after playing no part in the fourth quarter against the Magpies when his knee issue flared again. He missed the first six weeks of the season with knee tendinitis but lasted less than two games before returning to the casualty ward.

The most concerning thing for Beams and Brisbane is that tests are yet to reveal precisely what is wrong with the knee, leaving the on-baller’s immediate future uncertain. “I’m not sure of an end point, whether it’s a month or the rest of the season,’’ Leppitsch said. “It’s complication with the tendinitis. It’s a funny one, his actual tendon looks OK but there’s still some pain in the area. “There’s a little bit of unknown about it and that’s what’s probably been the frustration for Dayne, when you have an injury that even the medical professionals are not sure why there’s bits of pain there and why the pain is so strong.’’

Am feeling some sort of relief that he is going in for surgery that will hopefully fix this issue. We need him fit and firing from next season onwards. I am fully jumping on board with the whole "He'll miss the rest of the season" thing that way if he does return this year it will be a pleasant surprise as opposed to feeling frustrated if he doesn't return.

Lions List Changes
The Brisbane Lions have transferred midfielder Dayne Beams from the Club’s Primary List to its Long-Term Injury List.

Under the agreement, lodged today, the 26-year old is ineligible to play for a minimum of eight weeks while on the list.

Beams had surgery last week on his troublesome knee that kept him sidelined for the first six weeks of the year and restricted him to just seven quarters of football before succumbing again after Brisbane’s Round 8 loss to Collingwood.

The exact cause of the severe pain in Beams’ knee remained a mystery until exploratory surgery revealed the extent of the tendinitis issue. Senior Coach Justin Leppitsch told media today that Beams’ injury would take time. “We’ve set a program for him. It’s still that 10-12 week mark,” Leppitsch said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back