Traded Dayne Beams (2014-2018)

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah. I think the medical advice (to him) was NOT to play but he insisted he was OK.

From memory, they got someone in the team to repeatedly crash tackled him at Lions training the day before the GF to "test" the ribs.

It may have been one of the Scott brothers?.....I guess the thinking was that if you could survive one of those buggers hammering you at training, you could survive anything.

Pretty sure they still had to soup him up on pain killers on GF day so he could get through it.
They did a similar thing to Browny before the 2004 GF. I believe he had a crack in his femur bone. They really put him through the paces in the fitness test and Browny reckons he ended up worse off because of it and had to load up on pain killers for a shot at the glory of 4 premierships in a row. I truly believe if we had a fully fit team in the 2004 GF and played the prelim at the Gabba our premiership heroes would have 4 premierships next to their names :(

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
They did a similar thing to Browny before the 2004 GF. I believe he had a crack in his femur bone. They really put him through the paces in the fitness test and Browny reckons he ended up worse off because of it and had to load up on pain killers for a shot at the glory of 4 premierships in a row. I truly believe if we had a fully fit team in the 2004 GF and played the prelim at the Gabba our premiership heroes would have 4 premierships next to their names :(

Do you remember Chad Cornes repeatedly hitting Browny in the upper leg with sly little closed-fist backhanders during that GF?

I do.:mad:

And from memory, Browny eventually lost the plot and decked someone which earned him an extended holiday for the first 4 or 5 weeks of Season 2005.

Port knew we were tired and sore in that GF and pushed all the right buttons to put us off our game. We faded and they eventually ran over the top of us. Whether or not things might of been different with fair and equitable Finals scheduling, we'll never know. What I do know however is that we were basically set up to fail in that GF.

I still have never been able to bring myself to watch a replay of it.

AFL Players' MVP: Our Nominees

Three Lions have been nominated as finalists for the AFL Players’ Most Valuable Player.

Dayne Beams, Stefan Martin and Dayne Zorko all received the highest votes among their Brisbane teammates.

The former Magpie has been outstanding in his first season up north. His first MVP nomination for the Brisbane Lions is evidence that, after just 16 games with the club, he is already highly respected by his teammates.

The 25-year-old has led the Lions in disposals, clearances and inside 50s this season, and ranks in the competition’s top 20 for centre clearances.

He’s also proven himself to be a leader, evidenced as early as Round 3, when coach Justin Leppitsch praised Beams for his performance without the support of captain Tom Rockliff and senior defender Pearce Hanley.

“I thought Dayne (Beams) was terrific in trying to spark the team, but there’s not enough others that want to jump in along the journey and be part of it,” Leppitsch said.

Season review: Brisbane Lions

MVP
Dayne Beams. There could be only one winner here. Beams carried the Lions during his 16 matches before season-ending shoulder surgery. He averaged 28 disposals (13 contested) and 6.5 clearances despite playing in a midfield often missing some of its best players through injury.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The fact that he was still able to claim the club champion award(Shared with three others) despite missing the final 7 odd games shows just how impressive he was for us this year. After a big pre season I expect him to hit peak form next year and elevate himself to the elite, goal kicking midfielder level. Will hopefully find himself in the leadership group next season as well. Congratulations on a great season Dayne!

Our 2015 Club Champions

Out of a challenging season, a record four Lions have emerged as recipients of the Merrett-Murray Medal.

Dayne Beams, Stefan Martin, Mitch Robinson and Dayne Zorko were awarded joint Medallists at the annual Club Champion awards dinner this evening.

Dayne Beams, recruited from Collingwood at the end of 2014, played just 16 matches and re-writes Club history as the first player to claim the award, having played less than 18 games.

He is no stranger to receiving a best and fairest award, he claimed the Pies’ 2012 Copeland Trophy.

The 25-year old averaged 28 disposals (13 contested) and 6.5 clearances a match despite playing in a midfield often missing some of its best players through injury, before requiring season-ending shoulder surgery.

Dayne Beams On Track For 2016 Season

Saturday was a night of firsts for Dayne Beams, and not only for claiming his maiden best and fairest with the Brisbane Lions.

It was also the first night Beams had taken the sling off his surgically repaired right shoulder.

While admitting to some nerves in dealing with the hand-shakers and backslappers, Beams said the injury was coming along nicely.

He had surgery in August and had been in the sling for four weeks.

Beams's message for the playing group

“To the rest of the boys – there’s been a lot of movement going on throughout the last few weeks and I’ve come from a successful organisation and I’ve been able to taste success so if there’s one thing I could say to you boys is just to stick around.

“It’s not far around the corner and it can turn around quickly.

“If we can keep the current group together and build a bit of continuity within the group, I think we can do some special things.

“There are teams within the competition now who have been able to turn things around pretty quickly so who’s to say we cant play finals footy next year.

Player Reviews: Part Two

Dayne Beams, recruited from Collingwood at the end of 2014, played just 16 matches and re-wrote Club history as the first player to claim the Merrett-Murray Medal having played less than 18 games. The 25-year old averaged 28 disposals (13 contested) and 6.5 clearances a match despite playing in a midfield often missing some of its best players through injury. His good form came to an abrupt end with news that he would require season-ending shoulder surgery. Beams had a season high 38 disposals against St Kilda in Round Nine and kicked three goals from 29 touches a week later against the Giants.

Rockliff: Nothing to worry about

Dayne Beams (knee), Darcy Gardiner (shoulder and ankle) and Josh Green (foot) were among those on lighter duties at Maroochydore on Wednesday, but all are expected to be fit and available for the NAB Challenge next month.

Beams has a knee niggle but will be back with the main group in a fortnight, as will Gardiner, who has recovered strongly following off-season ankle and shoulder surgeries.

rusty08

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
2016-01-15 14.14.41.png
Looking bloody strong.

Beams, Merrett To Join Leadership Group In 2016

The Brisbane Lions have announced an expanded six-man leadership group for 2016 to be headed by second-year captain Tom Rockliff. Dayne Beams and Daniel Merrett will join Rockliff as Vice-Captains alongside Dayne Zorko, Pearce Hanley and Daniel Rich.

Beams, who arrived at Brisbane from Collingwood at the start of 2015, will assume a role in the Lions' leadership team in just his second year at the Club. After 7 years in the AFL system, Beams is confident that he has the experience required to assist in the development of the team's young side.

Web%20leadership%20announce.jpg

Interestingly, seems to be generating more chatter on a different team board than ours. ;)

Salt-.jpg

To be fair it makes sense...

Salt does go well with Crisps.

Dayne Beams to skip pre-season games but will be ready for Round 1

BRISBANE midfield star Dayne Beams says he has done everything in his power to clear the physical and mental hurdles thrown at him by a shoulder reconstruction.

The 2012 All-Australian will not take part in any of Brisbane’s pre-season matches but is set to play in Round 1 when the Lions face 2015 grand finalist West Coast in Perth.

He missed the final five games of last year and Brisbane have taken a conservative approach with his comeback, given the ball-magnet’s importance.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
DBeams ranked 28 in the "players top 50":

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-03/the-top-50-afl-players-ranked-by-the-players-themselves-3021

28. Dayne Beams
Brisbane Lions
Midfielder
Last year's ranking: 21
Official AFL Player Rating: 26
Debut: 2009
Games: 126
AFL Fantasy value: $570,000

Was billed as the best signing by the Lions since coach Leigh Matthews in 1999, and Beams delivered in spades. The former Collingwood premiership player could not have done more in his 16 games, averaging 28 disposals (13 contested) and 6.5 clearances to be among the top 12 in the AFL in each category. At times he almost single-handedly carried the injury-depleted midfield and, after playing with a right shoulder injury in his last few matches, was forced to undergo surgery late in the season. Beams was a deserving best and fairest winner.

Dayne Beams ruled out indefinitely with knee tendinitis, Brisbane Lions sweat on Dayne Zorko report

Leppitsch confirmed Beams has suffered tendinitis in his knee while on the comeback from the shoulder he had reconstructed late last year.

He will miss at least the opening month but it could be much longer.

“It is a little bit uncertain the end date, unfortunately,’’ he said. “His shoulder is fine, there is nothing wrong with that, he just had a knee flare-up on the way back.

“With tendinitis they can grumble for days, weeks, months, they can be frustrating and he is frustrated and we are.

“We know he hasn’t had the training under his belt – we have got to throw a month of conditioning on top once the injury is fixed.’’

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Dayne Beams out indefinitely for struggling Lions

THE BRISBANE Lions' spluttering pre-season took another hit on Sunday, with coach Justin Leppitsch confirming star midfielder Dayne Beams would be out indefinitely with knee tendinitis. After recovering strongly from off-season shoulder surgery, it was hoped Beams would be right to play West Coast in round one, but those hopes have now been dashed. The midfielder recently picked up the tendinitis and has struggled to train with the main group.

Leppitsch said last year's best and fairest winner would likely miss a month, and in reality had no specific timeframe on a return. "Beamsy won't play round one and I am not sure past that, it could be another couple of weeks, it could be a month," Leppitsch conceded. "It is a bit uncertain the end date, unfortunately. "It is frustrating. It can be something that can be fixed quickly in a couple of weeks or a month, but he hasn't had the training to play the first couple of games. "You've got to put a month of conditioning on top once the long term injury is fixed, otherwise they will hurt something else."

Back