Traded Dayne Beams and pick 67 traded for picks 5 and 25, and Jack Crisp

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this actually a fact with a source?

Connors said this in his interview on TWR mid week.

He also said that Dayne caught up with some teammates right before the B&F as well.

Yep heard same interview.

I can think of no reason his manager would say

Really... so you wanna go the conspiracy theory route lol.

Ok why would a player manager go on live radio and state what he did if he was lying when it would come back and bite him in the ass?

And if he was lying wouldn't it have been widely broadcasted by now across all papers and so on and people distancing themselves from the comments?

Connors said this in his interview on TWR mid week.

He also said that Dayne caught up with some teammates right before the B&F as well.

That's not actually what he said. He said that Beams discussed it with Buckley beforehand that he wasn't attending. Barrett then asked him so it was agreed with the club that he shouldn't attend? To which Connors replied "no, no, Collingwood obviously wanted him there". Then made up some excuse like how Beams is a shy kid etc etc. No where did Connors confirm that Beams didn't attend with the blessing of Buckley.

And if Rockliff wanted to go to Collingwood, the Magpies would also be trying to get him for as low a price as possible. Brisbane should have been trying to get Beams as cheaply as they could. As a member, that's what I would hope they would try to do.

Yes, we would.

So, would Brisbane be expected to just take a low ball offer?

I bet not.

Yep heard same interview.

Really... so you wanna go the conspiracy theory route lol.

Ok why would a player manager go on live radio and state what he did if he was lying when it would come back and bite him in the ass?

And if he was lying wouldn't it have been widely broadcasted by now across all papers and so on and people distancing themselves from the comments?
That's not actually what he said. He said that Beams discussed it with Buckley beforehand that he wasn't attending. Barrett then asked him so it was agreed with the club that he shouldn't attend? To which Connors replied "no, no, Collingwood obviously wanted him there". Then made up some excuse like how Beams is a shy kid etc etc. No where did Connors confirm that Beams didn't attend with the blessing of Buckley.

Your post quoting the below and my reply :)

To which Eddie on this mornings breakfast show actually said the same thing that Beams had discussed it with them and that they had agreed for him to not attend the B&F. Albeit a brief throw away line.

But from Connors and Eddies comments, whatever his reasons were for not attending, he had spoken and discussed it with the club and the club was fully aware of why he didn't want to attend. Whether the Club (meaning Eddie and Buckley) agreed or disagreed with why he didn't want to go, they did know of his reasons why and they were ok with his reasons to not attend therefore in turn gave their blessing. They did want him to go and yes they would of liked him to go, but in the end they agreed that if he didn't want to attend he didn't have too.

Ugene, I watched the Best and Fairest, and Eddie said he called Beams and tried to persuade him so go to the Best and Fairest. So if Eddie advised Beams not to go I'm not sure where all these rumours are coming from.

It was poor form from Beams because Collingwood has looked after him real well. We recruited him. We invested in him. We developed him. After his second season he even got to play in a premiership. And then there was the drama that everyone knows about the week after. And you know what, the club paid for his QC they had to get the best lawyer given the circumstances and apparently he won a payout of $400,000 or in that ball park but that is all speculation.

He owed the club. And like Pickers said he should have attended the B&F. It was poor form.

Almost as poor as Leppitschs tweets although I think his bottom of the barrel behaviour during the process of luring Beams was Freudian.

Ugene, I watched the Best and Fairest, and Eddie said he called Beams and tried to persuade him so go to the Best and Fairest. So if Eddie advised Beams not to go I'm not sure where all these rumours are coming from.

It was poor form from Beams because Collingwood has looked after him real well. We recruited him. We invested in him. We developed him. After his second season he even got to play in a premiership. And then there was the drama that everyone knows about the week after. And you know what, the club paid for his QC they had to get the best lawyer given the circumstances and apparently he won a payout of $400,000 or in that ball park but that is all speculation.

He owed the club. And like Pickers said he should have attended the B&F. It was poor form.

Almost as poor as Leppitschs tweets although I think his bottom of the barrel behaviour during the process of luring Beams was Freudian.
lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Far out man. Beams going to the B&F would have changed Collingwood's opinion of him leaving? Doubt it.

Also, Leppa's tweets did exactly what they were intended to do. He unified and reassured the Lions fans, and he antagonised Pies fans. Surely you can see that he was just stirring the pot to get a reaction. And he certainly got what he was after.

Seems to be a lot of Collingwood fans desperate to believe the worst despite a total lack of evidence.

Seems like a gambling problem is the major issue here.

There is some talk of an unplanned pregnancy but the "he did a Carey" thing has all the hallmarks of pure fan fiction created by those wanting extra sauce. People should be careful about libel.

Don't they have gambling in Queensland?

Don't they have gambling in Queensland?

I think the problem with many addictions is routine. A fresh start enables him to rid himself of the routines and regular haunts. He can essentially start over in a fresh environment and begin to take control of his life once again. Best of luck to him.

To which Eddie on this mornings breakfast show actually said the same thing that Beams had discussed it with them and that they had agreed for him to not attend the B&F. Albeit a brief throw away line.

But from Connors and Eddies comments, whatever his reasons were for not attending, he had spoken and discussed it with the club and the club was fully aware of why he didn't want to attend. Whether the Club (meaning Eddie and Buckley) agreed or disagreed with why he didn't want to go, they did know of his reasons why and they were ok with his reasons to not attend therefore in turn gave their blessing. They did want him to go and yes they would of liked him to go, but in the end they agreed that if he didn't want to attend he didn't have too.

How is it a blessing if they didn't agree with his decision not to go. Just because you know about something doesn't mean you're giving your blessing to it. It's not like they could've dragged him to the BnF forcefully.

The fact of the matter is that it was disrespectful for Beams not to have shown up and said his farewells to a club and supporters that have given him so much. If family was the sole and main reason he was going to Brisbane, by showing up and explaining his decision he would have gone with the blessings of the club and supporters. THAT's a blessing. You'll find that prior to his BnF snub, most Pies supporters had very positive sentiments to why Beams might be leaving. The fact he didn't shows that he was either playing tactics to make his position at Collingwood seem untenable or actually didn't want to face up to teammates, supporters and the club. That's not the sign of a man that's only going home to spend more time with his dad (I'm not doubting that it's a reason, but I do have strong doubts it's the main reason).

Lion's supporters trying to justify that money wasn't a major consideration in Beams choosing Brisbane is similar to Bulldog supporters thinking they're a destination club because Tom Boyd chose to go there on a 7 year $7m contract. If you guys had a similar salary cap to GC's, it would have been interesting to see how all this would have played out. The Lions had to use a considerable amount of spare salary cap to attract Beams. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just the way AFL goes these days. Money talks. And I'm sure next year, when we use all our salary cap war chest we've built up to attract some stars, commentators will be wondering how we've managed to turn from a club where players are leaving to a "destination" club in the space of a year.

I wish the podcast was up for this mornings show to link the comment Eddie made.

I am not going to say it as I can't back it up with a source so which in turn will start a flame war but at the same time it will probably incense pies supporters more than give them the answer they want as to why he didn't go.

Far out man. Beams going to the B&F would have changed Collingwood's opinion of him leaving? Doubt it.

Also, Leppa's tweets did exactly what they were intended to do. He unified and reassured the Lions fans, and he antagonised Pies fans. Surely you can see that he was just stirring the pot to get a reaction. And he certainly got what he was after.

If that was Leper's intention well and good. Collingwood supporters are normally a very tolerant lot. Hopefully however there are no complaints when he and the Lions cops it back in spades when the opportunity comes around.

Collingwood supporters are normally a very tolerant lot.

:D

The same ones that went ballistic every time negotiations happened, i.e. pick 4, etc?

Hopefully however there are no complaints when he and the Lions cops it back in spades when the opportunity comes around.

You mean like last year? Didn't hear many complaints from other teams at being able to pick up former first rounders for cents on the dollar.

I wish the podcast was up for this mornings show to link the comment Eddie made.

I am not going to say it as I can't back it up with a source so which in turn will start a flame war but at the same time it will probably incense pies supporters more than give them the answer they want as to why he didn't go.

I haven't heard Eddie's comments but I have no doubt he would've given his best wishes to Beams's departure publicly. I'm glad that our club has acted professionally and classy throughout this whole process. You won't see Buckley taking to social media to deliberately "antagonise" Lions supporters nor will you see a tweet from any of our players calling Beams a "mummy's boy" or daddy's boy in this case.

:D

The same ones that went ballistic every time negotiations happened, i.e. pick 4, etc?

You mean like last year? Didn't hear many complaints from other teams at being able to pick up former first rounders for cents on the dollar.
Nah! I was referring specifically to Nintendo Jones post about Leppitsch's smart arse tweets intending to provoke the Pies. As I said hopefully there is no whingeing when he cops a bit back.

Spot on. He didn't run to his dad for help then. He relied on the club.

The club will go on and a new star will be created.

Nah! I was referring specifically to Nintendo Jones post about Leppitsch's smart arse tweets intending to provoke the Pies. As I said hopefully there is no whingeing when he cops a bit back.
I would expect to cop it back. You don't poke the bear and expect it to just take it. Collingwood are a proud club, and they don't like being provoked.

The important thing to Lions fans about the tweets was that it made us believe more in the coach, and allowed us to place a lot of faith that the club is doing the right thing. Which is a big turnaround from 12 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back