Scandal Dayne Beams acting entitled?

Remove this Banner Ad

Trouble is it appears that some get penalised for that but others don’t.
It is rife I suspect. The Chris Judd "ambassador" for Visy is a good example. At arms length but only just.

I'll give you another example that I know of but I'm not going to say who or where. Player A was a high-quality player but struggled to stay on the park and eventually had his career cut short by injury. He was talked out of retirement to play another year when coterie member B donated a very expensive piece of machinery to his business, thus helping to set him up for life after football... No paper trail but player A with a significant financial benefit as result. This player was not even an elite player so I would imagine that a lot more would be done behind the scenes to keep the players happy.

This is also the reason why the coteries have so much influence behind the scenes I suspect.

It is rife I suspect. The Chris Judd "ambassador" for Visy is a good example. At arms length but only just.

I'll give you another example that I know of but I'm not going to say who or where. Player A was a high-quality player but struggled to stay on the park and eventually had his career cut short by injury. He was talked out of retirement to play another year when coterie member B donated a very expensive piece of machinery to his business, thus helping to set him up for life after football... No paper trail but player A with a significant financial benefit as result. This player was not even an elite player so I would imagine that a lot more would be done behind the scenes to keep the players happy.

This is also the reason why the coteries have so much influence behind the scenes I suspect.
That is true - the player is known liar though. In any event the Pies have lodged their salary cap with the AFL, so it should not take very long to check that againt the claims no?
Suspect we’re essentially on the same page here.

As a supporter of a club who has had the media and the league jump on any faint whiff of a misdemeanour, it is very frustrating to see situations treated so differently, seemingly depending on which club it is in question. Undermines the integrity of the competition.

Suspect we’re essentially on the same page here.

As a supporter of a club who has had the media and the league jump on any faint whiff of a misdemeanour, it is very frustrating to see situations treated so differently, seemingly depending on which club it is in question. Undermines the integrity of the competition.

That is true. For example if the Crows had a player caught betting on themselves I would happily wager that the punishment would not have been the same as it was for Stephenson at the Pies.

Any chance that his assertions of being paid outside the salary cap gets investigated, or anything more than a passing mention from the Vic centric media?

Adelaide would (and have) been investigated, dragged through the ringer and threatened with draft sanctions from the league’s official website for less than this.

Because it’s a “big four” club there’s nothing to see here? These are the double standards that have non-Victorian fans so fed up with this sham league and compliant media.

Vic bias? Carlton got in a heap of trouble and lost shitloads that they are still trying to recover from today. We were one of the "big 4" clubs but if a club stuffs up, they deserve to be penalised for it no matter who they are.

Any chance that his assertions of being paid outside the salary cap gets investigated, or anything more than a passing mention from the Vic centric media?

Adelaide would (and have) been investigated, dragged through the ringer and threatened with draft sanctions from the league’s official website for less than this.

Because it’s a “big four” club there’s nothing to see here? These are the double standards that have non-Victorian fans so fed up with this sham league and compliant media.
It's AFL sanctioned who do you expect to investigate?

It's AFL sanctioned who do you expect to investigate?
When asked about it on Friday, Gil said it is very rare for exemptions to be granted and he had not heard about it being outside the cap. Certainly doesn’t seem like it’s been AFL sanctioned!

Seems he had been paid outside the cap. I think there are some circumstances that this can be done. Mental health I believe is one reason. My recollection is that it was reported the AFL denied this money being paid outside of the cap. I guess they either lied then or backflipped.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems he had been laid outside the cap. I think there are some circumstances that this can be done. Mental health I believe is one reason. My recollection is that it was reported the AFL denied this money being paid outside of the cap. I guess they either lied then or backflipped.

Could you consider the possibility instead that Beams is lying?

Could you consider the possibility instead that Beams is lying?

Then all Gil had to say was "No, all retiring player payments are included in the cap".

Instead he was about as evasive as he was when asked where Jobe's Brownlow is.

And we now know that Jobe still has it. Despite not being entitled to it.

Then all Gil had to say was "No, all retiring player payments are included in the cap".

Instead he was about as evasive as he was when asked where Jobe's Brownlow is.

And we now know that Jobe still has it. Despite not being entitled to it.

He did actually say that and included that some injury payments are not included in the salary cap. What he didn't clarify is what was the situation with the Dayne Beams contract.

And as for Crow supporters wanting sanctions. Anything that was done is in accordance with the AFL's salary cap department. So unless Dayne signed a different payout with the AFL and is getting money on side the AFL are aware of his situation.

He did actually say that and included that some injury payments are not included in the salary cap. What he didn't clarify is what was the situation with the Dayne Beams contract.

And as for Crow supporters wanting sanctions. Anything that was done is in accordance with the AFL's salary cap department. So unless Dayne signed a different payout with the AFL and is getting money on side the AFL are aware of his situation.
Either way it would be good to know. If Collingwood have been allowed to pay a player outside the cap, there will be 17 other teams wanting to know how they can do the same. Or is it only ok when certain teams do it?

I’m not calling for sanctions per se, just some consistency in terms of the investigative rigour that would happen if Adelaide were substituted into this story instead of Collingwood. You know for a fact this situation would be treated very differently. That is a problem.

Last edited:
Based on what? Show me these facts.
Mate we’ve had more investigations than seasons recently, some justified but others not. My point is they can’t wait to jump on something for the Crows but other clubs they don’t want to look into it.

They launched an investigation into this FFS. Based on no more evidence than Malthouse’s sour grapes.

Now in Beams case we have the player in question alleging he was paid outside the cap and... no investigation.

Last edited:

No it was much more like "I think all player payments are included in the cap but I dont know what happened with Dayne Beams".

It was deliberately vague. A true politician response when they have something to hide.

If all player payments are counted that is all he had to say. He wouldnt need to say he wasnt sure about Beams because all player payments are counted.

No it was much more like "I think all player payments are included in the cap but I dont know what happened with Dayne Beams".

It was deliberately vague. A true politician response when they have something to hide.

If all player payments are counted that is all he had to say. He wouldnt need to say he wasnt sure about Beams because all player payments are counted.
Here you go this is what Gill said. No need to cherry pick to suit your argument.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan added more intrigue to Beams’ situation on Friday, saying “generally all player payments are within the cap”, even in the case of a payout.

“I don’t have any detail around that,” McLachlan told 3AW.

“There may be exemptions or specific reasons or things that sit outside the cap.

“There are some exemptions. Like, injury allowances are part of … there is a cap, then there’s an overflow for injury allowances and injury payments, so maybe something happened there.

“I don’t know, but generally all payments go in the cap.”

As for Gill not knowing the inner details of Dayne's contract settlement, it isn't really a shock but would hazard a guess that he would have been inquiring with that department to get those details.

Mate we’ve had more investigations than seasons recently, some justified but others not. My point is they can’t wait to jump on something for the Crows but other clubs they don’t want to look into it.

They launched an investigation into this FFS. Based on no more evidence than Malthouse’s sour grapes.

Now in Beams case we have the player in question alleging he was paid outside the cap and... no investigation.
Your talking to a Collingwood supporter, when it comes to scandals and investigations we have been up there over the last 20 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back