Traded Dayne Beams (2014-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions remain optimistic on crunched skipper
THE BRISBANE Lions are confident captain Dayne Beams will play again this season after he was taken off with a shoulder injury in the opening minute of Saturday's loss to Greater Western Sydney.

Beams was collected heavily but fairly in a hip-and-shoulder by Giant ruckman Shane Mumford, and left the ground supporting his arm with his guernsey. The midfielder's injured left shoulder isn't the same one he had reconstructed during 2015. Speaking after the match, Lions coach Chris Fagan said Beams would get scans to determine more, but the club was optimistic.

"There isn't an expectation that he's going to need an operation or anything like that," Fagan said. "He'll probably recover and play some footy. "I just don't know how long he's going to be out for, whether that's one week or four weeks, we'll know more after the scans."

One of the most important players for the Lions, Beams has been a crucial cog in the midfield. He has had a horrific run with injury, missing all but two matches in 2016 with knee problems.

Injury Update: Beams and Bell
Dayne Beams will have scans this week to determine the extent of a shoulder injury suffered in the Lions’ loss to GWS at the Gabba this evening.

The Lions’ Captain was collected by Giants ruckman Shane Mumford in a fair hip and shoulder and left the ground supporting his arm with his guernsey minutes after the opening bounce.

Senior Coach Chris Fagan said Beams would get scans to determine more, but the club was optimistic. “There isn't an expectation that he's going to need an operation or anything like that,” Fagan told media following the match.“He'll probably recover and play some footy. “I just don't know how long he's going to be out for, whether that's one week or four weeks, we'll know more after the scans.”

Beams’ injured left shoulder is not the same one he had reconstructed during the 2015 season.

Lions skipper out for a month
BRISBANE skipper Dayne Beams will miss up to a month and Sun Pearce Hanley at least a week after a tough weekend for Queensland’s best footballers. The shoulder injury to Beams headlined a dark weekend for the biggest names at the Lions and Suns.

6e926a70a275ed2e87a718c46ae3f0fd

Beams had scans on Monday which revealed he had strained his AC joint in a heavy bump by Giant Shane Mumford. Brisbane football manager David Noble said the fact the skipper did not require surgery and would play again this year was a positive. he also thought Beams had the capacity to cope with pain and therefore could return sooner than expected. However, the loss of their best player will hurt them with tough outings against Essendon, Geelong, Richmond and a rejuvenated Carlton over the next four rounds.

Beams plans rare post-footy path

MEDIA, coaching, pubs … recruitment?

Lions’ skipper Dayne Beams plans to step off the well-beaten post career path for elite footballers once his playing days are done and become a recruiter and eventually get into list management. Beams is out with a shoulder injury and has been sent to Melbourne where there is a double header in the national Under-18s carnival at Etihad Stadium.

Lions CEO Greg Swann says Beams has shown a keen eye for talent identification in recent years as he tracked Under-18s players in their draft year as a hobby. It is only early days but Brisbane say his observations on the past year’s draft class, both Lions’ selections and other players, have proven to be insightful. He has also become a sponge for information on TPP and the salary cap.

The 27-year-old said he had time to think about his future last year while he was out with a knee injury and he tailored some personal development training around building the skill base to become a recruiter. “It is definitely something I am thinking about post career. I enjoy the game and want to stay involved and although I would never rule it out, coaching isn’t high on my wish list,’’ he said.

554f045b9f2b007a07fef8bcce079da7

“I enjoy working with young people and identifying their strengths and weaknesses, I’m very interested in recruiting and just trying to learn as much as I can at the moment. “You don’t go to uni or get a degree with it, I have worked with (football manager David Noble) Nobes around designing a program that will work with my schedule and my footy life. He was really open to it.’’

He will watch Vic Country play Western Australia and then Vic Metro take on South Australia and compare notes with new list manager Dom Ambrogio. “It’s not a test or anything. I’m just looking at what they do and what they look for,’’ he said. “Having played the game at the highest level I may see some things a bit differently to some recruiters who haven’t.’’

Beams said an added advantage of his interest in last year’s carnival was that he knew all about the Lions’ draftees when they arrived in Brisbane.

9c960cabe073bf8dacaa5cd5b686d429

“It was good for me, I had a good grasp on how Berry and McCluggage played before they got to the club because I’d studied them,’’ he said. “It was good from a teaching point of view when they joined the group.’’ Beams said the 3-4 weeks he will miss with the shoulder injury was the best result to come from the heavy bump with Giant Shane Mumford. He may still require minor off-season surgery but will not miss any pre-season training.

Perhaps Dayne Beams is Quigley :p

Could probably learn a bit from Leon Harris too. Very experienced in spotting young talent and he would have a very good handle on the current u18 crop (at least the Melb based one's).

Brisbane Lions captain Dayne Beams is set for a surprise return against Geelong on Saturday night, making a quicker-than-expected comeback from his shoulder injury.

The star midfielder was set for a month on the sidelines after suffering an AC joint injury in round 14 and missed last week's shock win over Essendon at Etihad Stadium.

But the former Collingwood star is among two changes for the Lions this week, coming into the side alongside forward Matt Hammelmann.

Brave Beams ready to shoulder load
BRISBANE Lions coach Chris Fagan is surprised how quickly Dayne Beams has recovered from a shoulder injury to take his place in Saturday night's match against Geelong. Beams, the Lions' captain, suffered a strain to his AC joint less than two weeks ago after a monster bump from Shane Mumford, but has beaten his expected return date by one to two weeks.

"I must admit, I didn't expect him to play this week," Fagan said. "But (I) got the word on Wednesday that he was a strong chance and he trained really well last night, and wants to play."We just go with the medical advice and how he's feeling. He gave us the nod."I would say on the Richter scale of toughness, Beams is pretty tough." Fagan said he didn't want players being "heroic" to return from injury early, and that certainly wasn't the case with Beams, saying his skipper wouldn't play if he wasn't right.
522209-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Fantasy form watch: Pigs shouldn't be allowed to tag
Fantasy pig
Dayne Beams
is not only this week's pig, he is also the bargain of the week on the back of his round-high 142 from 30 touches, 10 marks and three goals in his most dominant performance since returning from injury. He played 90 per cent game time despite being limited at training the last few weeks, so don't hesitate to pick him up for under $500K this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris Fagan Praises Dayne Beams playing through the pain
Brisbane Lions Senior Coach Chris Fagan has praised the courageous efforts by skipper Dayne Beams as he overcomes a shoulder injury. The captain was outstanding in the club’s 30 point win over Carlton on Sunday afternoon with three goals, 30 disposals and 21 kicks.

Speaking to SEN radio yesterday afternoon Fagan said, “He’s been tough. He takes the role of captaincy seriously and he wants to lead from the front. He’s setting a great example to the young players up here.”

Beams is still recovering from a shoulder injury suffered in Round 14’s loss to GWS.

“I was very surprised he put his hand up to play after just missing one week. But the medical staff said he’s ok to play. He’s in a certain amount of pain.” Fagan believes Beams will be back to full strength in time for Sunday’s clash with West Coast. “With each game as it passes he’s becoming less sore now. You know I think in a week or so time he’ll pretty much be near as good as he can be.”

Recovery Report: Round 18
Meanwhile, Captain Dayne Beams continues to soldier on with his shoulder injury, which he’s been carrying since Round 14. “Dayne’s shoulder is going ok. He’s pushing through with that. He’ll end up having surgery on that shoulder at the end of the season,” Blanch said.

Dayne Beams opens up on letting his family down at Collingwood and maturing at Brisbane
BRISBANE captain Dayne Beams says he “let down” a lot of people during his younger years at Collingwood.

Beams spent six years at Collingwood — where he became a premiership player, All-Australian and club best and fairest winner by the age of 22 — before requesting a trade to Brisbane at the end of 2014. Despite his success at Collingwood, his years at the club were also tainted by off-field issues.

The star midfielder opened up on how he’d matured as both a footballer and as an individual during an interview with Fox Footy’s AFL 360. “I’m big on you make mistakes, you never make the same mistake twice,” Beams said. “I’ve made a fair few mistakes — particularly early on in my career — I let a lot of people down and most of all I let my family down in certain situations. “I guess for me it’s all about just maturing as a person, I’ve learned some hard lessons over the time but I’ve had some great people around me, also some great leaders that have pulled me into line when they needed to.”

Having been one of the youngest players in Collingwood’s success, Beams said he was forced to mature after his trade to Brisbane — where he moved to be closer to his sick father, while also opening up the opportunity to play alongside younger brother Claye. Within two years at Brisbane, Beams became the club’s vice-captain, got married to his partner Kelly and, in September 2016, became a father.

“I think the biggest thing for me is I’ve just matured and I think you can’t really buy time but that’s been the biggest thing for me,” Beams said.
“I’ve gotten a little bit older and I’m married now. “Kelly and I had our first daughter in September of last year — so it sort of forces you to grow up a little bit, having a child — I’ll tell you that.”

Ahead of this season, new Lions coach Chris Fagan named Beams as the club’s captain — a huge show of faith, given his struggles with injuries. Beams said taking on the role had made him mature even more.

“Being captain, it’s something that I never thought of when I was at Collingwood,” he said. “But I guess as I got to Brisbane, I think that’s when I did mature probably the most. “Obviously with the move and having my daughter and just being around a group of guys who are so young — it sort of forced me to be that mature head within the group. “And I’m really enjoying the role — I love watching our young group develop, it gives me the most pleasure because I know that they’re the ones that are going to take the club forward.”

cc19805e80b15df49c10fef8cfe6d1e2

With Beams promoted to captain, fellow midfielder Tom Rockliff was demoted to vice-captain. While Rockliff is out of contract at the end of the season, Beams said he “desperately” wanted the former captain to stay at Brisbane.

“He’s a very good footballer. Tom’s had a great year, he’s had a few issues with his shoulder of late but up until he got injured he was the leading clearance player in the competition,” Beams said. “So when you’ve got someone like that and then you combine them with a Rhys Mathieson, a Hugh McCluggage, a Jarrod Berry — they’re guys that are vital to your growth and the development of the younger guys. “So we desperately want Tom to stay — obviously it’s out of our control but as the captain of the footy club I’d love him to stay because he’s so important for these younger guys to rise up.”
8c94b6688f0e2a2c0c78ad4b3f08ee46

Lions skipper can’t prevent Eagles rout
DAYNE Beams produced a superb captain’s performance at Subiaco but the heavily outmuscled Lions were still belted by 68 points.

Coach Chris Fagan paid tribute to his two most experienced players, Beams and Daniel Rich, who were superb. The captain collected a game high 41 disposals and won nine clearances to put his name alongside Eagle Dom Sheed, 29 touches and two goals, and Kennedy as the best players on the ground.

DAYNE Beams played a brilliant captain’s game. Beams has been playing more outside since returning prematurely from a shoulder injury as he gave the joint the chance to heal. Yesterday he was in the clinches fighting a lone hand at the stoppages. He finished with 41 possessions and nine clearances to be the best player on the ground.
c1ba09994e4d9051237628da57fff31f

Remove this Banner Ad

Back