Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SS Lazio
If you look at Hawthorn's recruiting that led up to them winning 4 premierships in 8 years, I'm not sure that you can call it very good when we have Ellis at 3, and Dowler and Thorp at 6. None of them bearing much or any fruit in some cases.

You can cherry pick recruiting positives and you can cherry pick recruiting negatives. But at the end of the day, if the recruiters recruit a list that is good enough to be at the pointy end for an extended period, it's very good recruiting. It remains to be seen, but I'm very confident that our list is good enough to be at the pointy end for an extended period.

My post replied to someone cherry picking positives. I simply indicated that there are negatives too.

Whether we have a list to go to the pointy end is moot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bad luck as often as not is about the same old players succumbing to an injury which seems to have gained some demonic hold over the body i.e. Scharenberg, Elliott, Wells, Moore and maybe Langdon as examples of players who regularly find opportunity to spend slabs of time out of the game. Adams, Sier and De Goey are MIA more often than we would want them to be. Now we have Beams, whose injury was unanticipated but still diminishes us by one more player for the season. People say we have great reserves, but how much deeper can we dig beyond Brown, Magden or Daicos? Maybe you have to roll with the punches, but the punches still hurt when they connect.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Brutus is my middle name.
Vicky Brutus Park.

Mum and dad got the first name right, elegant flow to the surname. Pre destined you to support Collingwood.

The middle name, not so much.
Unless they wanted you to have some Shakespeare influence? But if so, why not Juliet...

Has he had the operation yet?Channel 9 said that he was recovering from the operation,while Channel 7 said he still hadn’t had it and that he might have it in Tasmania.Obviously they both can’t be right.
He's flown over to Tassie today to have it.

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nobody goes to Tasmania to have surgery lol it's a weird concept. What's there that we don't have in Melbourne?
Actually, many AFL players, including Adam Treloar, have gone to Tasmania to have surgery. The Hobart Sports Medicine Practice ran by surgeon David Humphries is regarded by many as the best of its type in Australia.

I don't think much of him as we all know, I do think he will be pretty good for us over the next couple years, doesn't need speed and has the body type to play until 33/34

Sleuth1

Team Captain
Jul 4, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Actually, many AFL players, including Adam Treloar, have gone to Tasmania to have surgery. The Hobart Sports Medicine Practice ran by surgeon David Humphries is regarded by many as the best of its type in Australia.
No doubt he needs surgery and Tassie might be a right place. But he has a negative for the team this year so I hope he is fit and well for 2020. Not a fan but he is a Maggie so I hope he can contribute next year.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
No doubt he needs surgery and Tassie might be a right place. But he has a negative for the team this year so I hope he is fit and well for 2020. Not a fan but he is a Maggie so I hope he can contribute next year.
He wasn’t stellar all year, that’s true, and his last game was not of high value (save for one quarter) but can’t accept he’s been a negative.
A guy who gains an average of 25 possessions a game, with good ball use is hardly a negative, I’d venture a positive overall.

Beams was still contributing more than say Callum Brown or Levi Greenwood or Travis Varcoe or Rupert Wills or James Aish though positions are different.

So even a non vintage Beams was better than a medium level talent doing less than he did.

Though I must say, his goal scoring was poor by expectation.

Overall, in my view, he was on the whole a positive.

That he can do far more, that looks something we can expect season 2020.

My post replied to someone cherry picking positives. I simply indicated that there are negatives too.

Whether we have a list to go to the pointy end is moot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But the post you responded to was replying to someone cherry picking negatives. The general theme for all of the posts was related to how good our recruiting has been. You can't assess that by looking at individual successes or failures; you've got to look at the whole. The whole is the list, so whether we have a list to go to the pointy end for an extended period is not moot. It should be the core of critiicism or praise of our recruiting.

It's a good thing that he's always free....

1559874577855.png

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back