Dayne beams officially requests trade

Remove this Banner Ad

So Collingwood should take a first and 2nd round pick seems to be the consensus for alot of neutral fans.

Why wouldn't Beams and our 2nd Round Pick be enough for Pick 4 and an Aish/Mayes..? Just out of curiosity?

Because Aish on his own will probably be better than Beams. Pick 4 is all you will get and that is probably overs

Because Aish on his own will probably be better than Beams. Pick 4 is all you will get and that is probably overs

Probably be better..? Have you got the lotto numbers for next week too..?

Beams is where he is at right now, All Australian, Best and Fairest Top 2 player at Collingwood.

Aish was a good first year player, but nobody can predict whether he is ever All Australian or ever wins a Best and Fairest..

So Collingwood should take a first and 2nd round pick seems to be the consensus for alot of neutral fans.

Why wouldn't Beams and our 2nd Round Pick be enough for Pick 4 and an Aish/Mayes..? Just out of curiosity?

It may very well be 'enough'. But the problem is Brisbane really won't be willing to trade those players. You must understand, the biggest problem at Lions right now is building a culture and creating a place that players want to be at. It was disastrous last year and it's taken 12 months now to finally be getting somewhere. People actually seem to want to be in Brisbane now.

Tossing out a young gun that wants to be at Lions right now would be detrimental to the club. 12 months of work will go down the drain. That's why Mayes/Aish/Taylor etc are off the table. They seem to be happy right now (nothing suggests they arn't) so it ain't worth it from our perspective.

Draft picks are the logical choice.

He wishes to return to qld, and that will happen. Collingwood will trade him to whoever offers the best value, be that brisbane or gold coast. Wheres the conjecture.

Collingwood's press release stated QLD, which is true. But the deal is Brisbane and Brisbane alone.

With all this arguing over who is worth what, wouldn't it just be easier for Collingwood to offer a second round pick for Claye Beams and move him and their dad to Melbourne to re-unite the whole family?

Collingwood would need to fit the costs of relocating the family under the TPP cap.

If you read between the lines, I think you'll find the objective really is Brisbane.

no doubt, however if his aim is to be closer to his father gold coast satisfies that too. Point is if brisbane is too unreasonable there is another option, that's why I think brisbane will play hard but not be unreasonable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure we really want to up root any of our players trade wise for Beams. Pick 8 and 16 is the best you will get from us I think (maybe a fringe player - Gorringe?).

Pick 1 to Collingwood
Pick 4, 8, 22 to saints
Beams to Lions.

Saints would have 4 inside top 22 or thereabouts, Is that what they wanted?

That's actually one of the best hypothetical trades I have seen on this thread in 30 pages. St. Kilda fans might disagree however...but 4,8,22 is decent for St Kilda needing to rebuild. Drafting three warm bodies is better than just one. And I do guess that pick 1 could placate Collingwood and their fans :)

That's actually one of the best hypothetical trades I have seen on this thread in 30 pages. St. Kilda fans might disagree however...but 4,8,22 is decent for St Kilda needing to rebuild. Drafting three warm bodies is better than just one. And I do guess that pick 1 could placate Collingwood and their fans :)

Pick 8 will be used on father/son Darcy Moore and will be spent before the trading begins, unfortunately

Don't do anything, and you'll come off as the biggest douchebags in the AFL not allowing a player to be home with his sick father.

If you guys don't do anything then obviously you don't want to assist Dayne in his predicament rather take advantage of it.

At the end of the day I remember Josh Caddy wanting to go home to be with his dad a few years ago to Essendon and we all saw how that worked out.

Douchebags or not it's a business.

You can't compare known quantity (gun) to unknown (Polec at that stage)
I had a degree of empathy and felt Brisbane were ripped off and fleeced. I'm talking about worth to the owner so to speak, desired worth. The players lost to the go home factor are rarely compensated with value that's deemed adequate by the clubs that lose them.

My point ultimately is this, any Collingwood supporter who genuinely thinks they're going to not get ripped off considering the current circumstances. Needs a reality check, you're club is not big enough to transcend the situation factors that come with player having a dying father.

(Should note, if his Dad wasn't dying and it was just because he had flimsy homesickness. I'd be fully behind Collingwood playing a hard stance and expecting full worth).

Not at the moment, but a straight swap would be more realistic than Aish + pick 4.
Brisbane mightn't even deal on a straight swap.

People are grossly overrating first year players and draft picks comparing them to current young stars of the comp.

If I could trade out a first round pick and a young player every year to land a 24 yr old elite performer who makes my side instantly better and is arguably going to be in my top echelon of players id be doing it in a heartbeat.

I had a degree of empathy and felt Brisbane were ripped off and fleeced. I'm talking about worth to the owner so to speak, desired worth. The players lost to the go home factor are rarely compensated with value that's deemed adequate by the clubs that lose them.

My point ultimately is this, any Collingwood supporter who genuinely thinks they're going to not get ripped off considering the current circumstances. Needs a reality check, you're club is not big enough to transcend the situation factors that come with player having a dying father.

(Should note, if his Dad wasn't dying and it was just because he had flimsy homesickness. I'd be fully behind Collingwood playing a hard stance and expecting full worth).

I'm sorry but i do not agree with this.

He is contracted, we are allowing him to be traded which is the absolute last thing the club wants, but that does not mean we don't deserve a fair trade in return.

I'm sure the club has been very sympathetic to his needs, but as soon as the words I will only play for Brisbane come out of Dayne's mouth, The club has every right to become ruthless. His Dad lives on the Gold Coast. A shift to either QLD club should be acceptable. A players worth does not change based on a sick father or homesickness.

I'm gutted for Dayne, the anxiety and stress that comes with family members being ill is absolutely horrible, but in no way does this mean we accept less than his worth.

People are grossly overrating first year players and draft picks comparing them to current young stars of the comp.

If I could trade out a first round pick and a young player every year to land a 24 yr old elite performer who makes my side instantly better and is arguably going to be in my top echelon of players id be doing it in a heartbeat.

And people (mainly Pies fans) are grossly misunderstanding the situation.

Brisbane aren't trying to poach Beams. If they were Collingwood could ask for two top 5 picks. Beams has requested a trade back to Queensland, preferably Brisbane. That doesn't mean they get him for free, but Collingwood are never going to get what he is 'worth'.

'Pick 4 and a young player' is pretty meaningless. Brisbane have lots of young players. I can't imagine Collingwood happily giving up Sidebottom or Pendlebury a couple of years ago, for example. I doubt you'd be happy to part with Elliot currently. This is where Aish and Mayes sit in the young player pecking order at Brisbane.

Won't change my tune, but I completely see where you're coming from. What I'm getting at is if you feel Beams is worth 4, player and possibly a bit extra. You won't get this, it's just not going to happen. But I do completely support Collingwood's insistence on fair compensation.

If anything compromise will have to happen, it's yet to be seen if clubs like Collingwood are practising compromisers. But in the end, we'll see how trade week unfolds. Maybe you'll trade with GC and it's just an easy trade to complete?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back