Rumour Dayne Beams set to “retire”

Remove this Banner Ad

May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brooklyn Nets, New York Jets
Sources say Collingwood are going to cut ties and Dayne is going to “retire” to avoid them paying out his lucrative contract.

Senior club officials are rumoured to be over all the baggage and trouble that has come with his arrival at the club

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
I loved him as a player in his first go round at Collingwood, but I honestly didn't think we needed to bring him back this year, especially for the price paid. If we're not actually going to get 3-5 years of footy out of him, then it's a complete waste.

I'm sympathetic for whatever is going on in his life and in his head and with his body (people will continue to speculate negatively), but if he's not fit play for whatever reason, or he just doesn't want to anymore, it's probably best just to pay out whatever we can (within reason), and let him go from the playing list.

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I only wish him well and hope he fixes everything in his life that’s a challenge at the moment.
I was annoyed when we first were going through the recruiting process as I felt we were being held to ransom. Emotionally it seemed we had to take him despite the cost financially and the loss of two first round draft picks. If he doesn’t get on the paddock I think the draft picks particularly will hurt us down the track.

Sources say Collingwood are going to cut ties and Dayne is going to “retire” to avoid them paying out his lucrative contract.

Senior club officials are rumoured to be over all the baggage and trouble that has come with his arrival at the club
What baggage?

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018

This would have more believability if it wasn't coming from an Essendon supporter, the same week that they're playing the Pies.

I'm sure Tom Browne will be all over this though, like a fly to a sh*t heap.

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood

What sources?

Thanks Robbo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
Wonder how much the book rights are worth to him if he does retire. Shame he's going through such a difficult time at the moment, presumably there's mental health issues in there as well as the gambling stuff.

Reality IS

Debutant
May 8, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
If he retires he'll forgo most of his remaining cash unless the Pie's do a "deal"

Beams management are pushing for him to take a mental health break as Beams spends his cash and has no saving/plan so will be a broke ex footballer digging holes pretty quickly!

gtrain23

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
If he retires he'll forgo most of his remaining cash unless the Pie's do a "deal"

Beams management are pushing for him to take a mental health break as Beams spends his cash and has no saving/plan so will be a broke ex footballer digging holes pretty quickly!

Seem to think you know a lot about it all?? Care to mention how or just guessing like everyone else?

May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brooklyn Nets, New York Jets
So a guy rumoured to having a huge gambling debt, is rumoured to be giving up his salary. Sounds plausible.
It would only make sense if Collingwood FC avoid paying a player under their total player payments because he retires but in totally unrelated events, Collingwood FC pay Dayne Beams an amount of money to clear his debt.

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda

So a bloke who is apparently in massive debt is going to forgo his only source of income to save the club cash.

Hope Dayne is getting better financial advice than that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back