Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Very sad to hear that another absolutely gifted player is taken from us by the spectre of mental health. Loved watching him play and a real shame and loss to the entire AFL family. Loss of a parent will rock you no matter how much money/fame/success you have. Here's to hoping he can sort it out and come back stronger and be a force for change.

Side note: When is the AFL going to wake up? Hogan, Boyd, Beams... the list just keeps on growing.....
The list keeps on growing? 3 people? Hardly a list and compared to jobs such as armed forces, education, police, fire and medical, it doesn't even come close to being on a similar level. It's just that these guys are in the spotlight and make the news. I've had depression, i do talks to students and teachers about mental health, and let me tell you, the AFL doesn't come close to having as many mental health issues as any of the professions that i listed. One school i used to work at had more than half of the staff on anti depressants.

I am concerned about clubs and league using mental health as a cover for bad life choices. But it's hard as the general public to know which came first, if mental health issues are indeed even true. Of course in the case of Beams and Hogan, losing a loved one can absolutely be a trigger and i agree 100% that the AFL should be doing all they can to support their players who have mental health issues. I wish Dayne all the best and hope a lot of the rumours aren't true. Getting sacked (retired) publicly can be a trigger for suicide. The club and the league need to throw an arm around him as much as they can, and his mates need to make sure he continues to recieve the right help which i hope the Pies or AFL are paying for and monitoring.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
Spot on. How much of Beams mental illness is directly attributed to his own decisions. We are all accountable for our actions, realising that isnt "mental health" its a wake up call. Everyone goes through rough patches, all of a sudden every rough patch people go through is "mental health".

Easily the most overused words in society atm. People think any negative emotion like sadness, nerves, anger etc is "mental health". It isnt, people have these emotions every single day, youre not special or "depressed", learn how to deal with it ffs.

News stories of teenagers suffering from "mental health" over the "climate crisis". Give me a ******* spell. Stop pandering to this nonsense, some people actually do just have to pull their socks up. Takes away from the genuine MH cases...
I second this and third this , it takes away from real MH sufferers

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Well actually, I really could get less about survey after survey, the election result is the one that counts, policy is derived from that result.

Labor lost because people care about the economy, jobs, energy prices et al....sadly, you just don't get that.

You sound like the typical voter the coalition target in their media campaigns.
Naive and easily persuaded.

Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Speaking to a few former Queensland footballers, when some of the lions boys used to go out to dinner, as it came time to paying the bill, rather than pay the bill at the counter or at the table, beamsy would always ‘insist on speaking to management’. They’d have a chat, shake hands then all walk out without paying a cent. He’d return to the venue days if not weeks later, get questioned about the previous bill and argue that it was previously settled with management

beema limapep

🔆🥇🦐🍺👽💨🕳🤷‍♂️
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
People debating there are only two positions you can take on this matter (total compassion and no self responsibility for his actions vs basically hammering the guy), consider a third.

Its a real shame, but wish him no ill will in the future.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
The rumors surrounding this car crash and the bushfire relief are pretty damning.

It certainly aligns with how quickly he's "retired" after this car accident....

twotooto

late bloomer
Sep 26, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
This morning on the Neil Mitchell show he stated a high profile player had gambling debts and Bikes were chasing him also stole money and credit card.He stated that he was not going to name this person but was going to ring the president and put the question to him.witch he did off air president stated there is no truth in the rumour just some people making thing up

This sounds quite intense. Hopefully the bikes have been apprehended and locked up, preferably to a bike rack.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
That's not even close to true. Survey after survey has shown that a majority of Australians support action against climate change. That number may fluctuate, but the majority has remained for over a decade.

The reality is, there are very few 'issue' voters and that small number is diminishing.

Labor lost because of a confluence of myriad factors. Mixed messaging/poor messaging, an historically weak leader, a media largely stacked against progressive politics and policies that were poorly articulated and easy to direct scare campaigns against by said media.

Throw in some truly dodgy campaigning from Palmer, preferencing and some flat out untrue social media messaging from vested interests and you have a Labor loss.

I mean hell, Abbott lost his, largely because of his stance on climate change.
This is all completely true, but I think you've underestimated the impact of massive funding rorts and their ability to get the LNP back in as well.

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Serious question and a general one rather than a comment on Beams who is in a very bad way by the sounds of it..........

Is the hypersensitivity surrounding mental health, public airing/ coming out and overall heightened 'awareness' actually making much of a difference?

From what I can tell the only real benefit (and a notable one) is removing some of the stigma and ridicule that may once have been directed at the sufferer. Im not sure it does any more than that to be completely honest. In fact it concerns me that it can almost spread (like a virus) across friendship groups and families. Was the old fashioned 'stiff upper lip/ keep your problems to yourself' actually all that bad for society as a whole?

Now don't hate on me all at once. Thoughts?

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
Serious question and a general one rather than a comment on Beams who is in a very bad way by the sounds of it..........

Is the hypersensitivity surrounding mental health, public airing/ coming out and overall heightened 'awareness' actually making much of a difference?

From what I can tell the only real benefit (and a notable one) is removing some of the stigma and ridicule that may once have been directed at the sufferer. Im not sure it does any more than that to be completely honest. In fact it concerns me that it can almost spread (like a virus) across friendship groups and families. Was the old fashioned 'stiff upper lip/ keep your problems to yourself' actually all that bad for society as a whole?

I thought this when Danny Frawley died. Being very public about his problems would only have put more pressure on him IMO, it obviously didn't help him at all in the long run. I'm all for getting the medical and professional help you need and for being open about it with family and close friends but I don't think being a public advocate for it, talking about it constantly, helps at all.

Last edited:

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Really bad trade/free agency period for Collingwood at the end of 2018. Missed out on Lynch and gave up two first rounders for Beams. All after losing a heartbreaking Grand Final as well.

2 first rounders for Beams on a 4 year contract was criminal list management.

I wonder how much influence Eddie had on it? No secret their close and rumours of Eddie helping bail Beams out of his gambling debts.

It wasn't only a poor deal due to the issues Beams was known to be having away from football, but from a pure football sense Collingwood didn't need yet another gun midfielder...their midfield is already good enough. They should have invested those picks and the salary into an area of need - like a key forward.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
Oh, that's just because we're stupid and selfish. We know there is a climate change emergency, but we're stupid and selfish enough to think we will get some sort of action on climate change from any government, but we'll also get the promised economic boom that liberal governments always promise - even though the money never actually lands in the pockets of average Australians. We are pretty much the most politically stupid populace in the world - probably even more than the US.

Is that you Hillary?

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

This is a tricky question with no right or wrong answer. Although I don't know anyone who has ever had depression and wanted that knowledge to be known to anyone let alone the media. Having had depression(still on anti depressants), knowing some people who have it, and talking with teenagers who have it, I am yet to meet one who want it exposed in anyway to anyone. It's a very private battle and as much as the public is becoming more aware of it, it's still an incredibly embarrassing feeling to know people are aware you have it. Of course this is only my experiences.

It's very very hard to tell if a player/celebrity has it or not. But unfortunately I have no doubt players and clubs use mental health (which can be a number of things, not necessarily depression) as an excuse for poor behaviour. I know Garry Lyon copped a whacking over his announcement he was suffering from depression after his indiscretion. To me I felt sick, because it should have been a separate thing entirely. Depression doesn't make you stick your d*** into your best friends wife. Depression generally makes you want to sleep and feel unmotivated to do anything. However he might have had depression, but it felt like he was using it as an excuse. And this is the problem. I think Buddy was the first player I remember using mental health to miss games of football. Might have even been a finals series. Yet the rumours going around was that he was missing for 'other reason's. I remember being excited somewhat as I had depression, and a famous sportsman was coming out saying he had it, but it quickly turned to disgust with the possible use of mental health being used to miss games when other reasons were the real reason. But who's to stay he didn't have anxiety issues etc? I'm sure every player has them to a degree. It's a tough question and the problem is more players will be diagnosed with depression in the future, and because it is not like a broken leg where the evidence is for everyone to see, people will be skeptical about those who genuinely have it, and those who don't yet use it as an excuse to miss games of football where really they are being suspended in some way or have 'other issues' that can't be released to the public.

The list keeps on growing? 3 people? Hardly a list and compared to jobs such as armed forces, education, police, fire and medical, it doesn't even come close to being on a similar level. It's just that these guys are in the spotlight and make the news. I've had depression, i do talks to students and teachers about mental health, and let me tell you, the AFL doesn't come close to having as many mental health issues as any of the professions that i listed. One school i used to work at had more than half of the staff on anti depressants.

I am concerned about clubs and league using mental health as a cover for bad life choices. But it's hard as the general public to know which came first, if mental health issues are indeed even true. Of course in the case of Beams and Hogan, losing a loved one can absolutely be a trigger and i agree 100% that the AFL should be doing all they can to support their players who have mental health issues. I wish Dayne all the best and hope a lot of the rumours aren't true. Getting sacked (retired) publicly can be a trigger for suicide. The club and the league need to throw an arm around him as much as they can, and his mates need to make sure he continues to recieve the right help which i hope the Pies or AFL are paying for and monitoring.

I should clarify I wasn't discounting other professions, particularly armed forces and returned servicemen. I was merely concentrating on AFL as we're in a football orientated forum. You make very valid points though.

Last edited:
What actions or preventative measures do you think the AFL can take?

Mental health affects everyone from retail workers to tradies to lawyers to athletes - it doesn’t discriminate.

A few high profile cases in the AFL is merely reflective of what is happening in other industries / wider society.

Its a good question and I don't have the answers nor the resources to discover a proper solution - I won't pretend otherwise. The AFL does.

I agree with your points made.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Why do you actually think money and wealth solves depression? It actually causes it!! - actually nobody said that, if you had bothered reading..
You are pretty consistent all the way through...
Only people with no money can be ‘doing it tough’ like the dishwasher.

Your posting seems to think they have ‘valid’ claims to being depressed because they were ‘doing it tough’.
Of course you could, why don't you loan him a couple of 100k?
You on the money train again, you seem to think wealth is some solution to depression.

btw, its not the money that causes depression in this case, its the actions...
That’s right, Beams was privileged he had success, wealth and money

Yep according to you he should never be depressed, because he ‘hasn’t had it tough’ like a dishwasher

it is always disheartening reading about anybody who isn’t in control of their life.
its not actually, but, I guess you can wring your hands about it and feel good :)
You continue to miss the point.

I don’t particularly care for Beams, my selfish interest is on his plight not impacting Collingwood, so no need to ‘take action’...reading he has ‘retired’ is a good thing from a Pies perspective.

I read your ill informed posts on views of depression and quoted you.

You, like many can’t distinguish depression from being sad. Hence all your posting is along the lines of look how good Beams had/has it compared to others...completing missing the point.

Depression at is core is when you basically turn against yourself, question your won self-worth and that then takes over everything.

That can happen to all people, irrespective of their standing in life, wealth or actions.

incog43

Club Legend
Nov 24, 2008
hobart
AFL Club
Carlton
Only people with no money can be ‘doing it tough’ like the dishwasher.

Your posting seems to think they have ‘valid’ claims to being depressed because they were ‘doing it tough’.

You on the money train again, you seem to think wealth is some solution to depression.

That’s right, Beams was privileged he had success, wealth and money

Yep according to you he should never be depressed, because he ‘hasn’t had it tough’ like a dishwasher

You continue to miss the point.

I don’t particularly care for Beams, my selfish interest is on his plight not impacting Collingwood, so no need to ‘take action’...reading he has ‘retired’ is a good thing from a Pies perspective.

I read your ill informed posts on views of depression and quoted you.

You, like many can’t distinguish depression from being sad. Hence all your posting is along the lines of look how good Beams had/has it compared to others...completing missing the point.

Depression at is core is when you basically turn against yourself, question your won self-worth and that then takes over everything.

That can happen to all people, irrespective of their standing in life, wealth or actions.

Only people with no money can be ‘doing it tough’ like the dishwasher.Your posting seems to think they have ‘valid’ claims to being depressed because they were ‘doing it tough’
. - NO, you wouldn't know what consistent meant, I merely indicated that these people, in their millions, just get on with it, every day, regardless. Unlike Beams.

You go give beams 500k, you would be amazed at his transformation I suspect :)

You, like many can’t distinguish depression from being sad. Hence all your posting is along the lines of look how good Beams had/has it compared to others...completing missing the point. - OH Beams is sad, make no mistake, he blew it, nothing to do with how good he had it, all to do with personal choices and decisions, you bet he is sad, unfortunately he cannot get on with it, because he isn't an adult.

Depression at is core is when you basically turn against yourself, question your won self-worth and that then takes over everything. - Really, did you read that in a study? Beams questioned his worth and found himself to be wanting in that regard. Now he can crawl into a cave or he can crawl out, that's the test of adulthood and being responsible. We all face that at sometime.

BTW, whats with YOUR money fetish? Your post is riddled with that word, yet you suggest I have an issue with it?

That's right, you read a study once :)

That will do me on this, you may knock yourself out however :)

StuieG

Debutant
Aug 26, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
This is a tricky question with no right or wrong answer. Although I don't know anyone who has ever had depression and wanted that knowledge to be known to anyone let alone the media. Having had depression(still on anti depressants), knowing some people who have it, and talking with teenagers who have it, I am yet to meet one who want it exposed in anyway to anyone. It's a very private battle and as much as the public is becoming more aware of it, it's still an incredibly embarrassing feeling to know people are aware you have it. Of course this is only my experiences.

It's very very hard to tell if a player/celebrity has it or not. But unfortunately I have no doubt players and clubs use mental health (which can be a number of things, not necessarily depression) as an excuse for poor behaviour. I know Garry Lyon copped a whacking over his announcement he was suffering from depression after his indiscretion. To me I felt sick, because it should have been a separate thing entirely. Depression doesn't make you stick your d*** into your best friends wife. Depression generally makes you want to sleep and feel unmotivated to do anything. However he might have had depression, but it felt like he was using it as an excuse. And this is the problem. I think Buddy was the first player I remember using mental health to miss games of football. Might have even been a finals series. Yet the rumours going around was that he was missing for 'other reason's. I remember being excited somewhat as I had depression, and a famous sportsman was coming out saying he had it, but it quickly turned to disgust with the possible use of mental health being used to miss games when other reasons were the real reason. But who's to stay he didn't have anxiety issues etc? I'm sure every player has them to a degree. It's a tough question and the problem is more players will be diagnosed with depression in the future, and because it is not like a broken leg where the evidence is for everyone to see, people will be skeptical about those who genuinely have it, and those who don't yet use it as an excuse to miss games of football where really they are being suspended in some way or have 'other issues' that can't be released to the public.
An interesting thing to note mental illness is the lack of detail. An injury we get the most intimate detail, illness like cancer and we'll know if it's in his testicles or on his skin.

There's a tonne of different mental health issues and we don't often hear the details. No one has the right to know someone medical issues of course it's just interesting that it seems mental health is where we draw the line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back