Rumour Dayne Beams set to “retire”

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 13, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Frawleys main problem was he stopped taking his drugs thinking he was cured then he experienced a massive drop in response and tragically pushed him too far down.
That is tragically very common with people suffering mental health problems. They feel so good because of the meds and think they don't need them anymore. We just need more open discussion about mental health and to remove the stigma associated with it. People on blood pressure mediaction don't come off it when it brings their blood pressure down because there isn't the stigma involved with taking blood pressure medication.

tenderwarrior

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2003
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
People on blood pressure mediaction don't come off it when it brings their blood pressure down because there isn't the stigma involved with taking blood pressure medication.
I think that you will find that many people required to take prescription medication daily to manage their illness fail to take it regularly, so I imagine people taking medication for episodic conditions (some mental health illnesses, gout etc) are more likely to forget about it if you don't really notice any difference in the short to medium term. People are more likely to ensure that their pet gets their medication before they think about taking their own.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I think that you will find that many people required to take prescription medication daily to manage their illness fail to take it regularly, so I imagine people taking medication for episodic conditions (some mental health illnesses, gout etc) are more likely to forget about it if you don't really notice any difference in the short to medium term. People are more likely to ensure that their pet gets their medication before they think about taking their own.
Some antidepressants are almost impossible not to take. Effexor is one that'll usually have your head spinning if you don't take it on time, so you get that friendly reminder.

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Some antidepressants are almost impossible not to take. Effexor is one that'll usually have your head spinning if you don't take it on time, so you get that friendly reminder.

100% correct. I have attempted to go cold turkey from this a few times, the vertigo and dizziness you get is unbelievable. It usually takes 2-3 days of being off them for this sensation to kick in.

Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Post 2018 Best and fairest speech at Brisbane, Beams had an argument with a few Brisbane coaches and board members about finishing 2nd to Zorko in a year he believed he was the best.

These confrontations lead to be a major part in Brisbane being happy to trade him back to Collingwood only weeks after his infamous speech.

AndrewShawble

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Post 2018 Best and fairest speech at Brisbane, Beams had an argument with a few Brisbane coaches and board members about finishing 2nd to Zorko in a year he believed he was the best.

These confrontations lead to be a major part in Brisbane being happy to trade him back to Collingwood only weeks after his infamous speech.

Hello Ralphy

Eddie got a good lawyer to rep beams and his mate from coburg vflafter an incident the night of the 2010 win.

The lawyer, repping two parties being questioned by police, made them agree not to investigate happenings a bit before the alledged rape that was ultimately the topic of the trial.

When this was agreed upon, the lawyer stopped representing the vfl player and his family had to find his defence (Collingwood/Eddie were previously).

He was acquitted at trial.

The impact of this was that beams avoided being investigated too much or having his name dragged through the mud. But his mate was left to potentially take it on the neck and the alleged victim didn't really get the chance for justice.

Yep spot on, even did a news story on it years ago, ****ed the whole family financially.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Would a club seriously trade their 2nd best player because of one argument? What rubbish.

rangatangtang

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
An interesting thing to note mental illness is the lack of detail. An injury we get the most intimate detail, illness like cancer and we'll know if it's in his testicles or on his skin.

There's a tonne of different mental health issues and we don't often hear the details. No one has the right to know someone medical issues of course it's just interesting that it seems mental health is where we draw the line.
Good point, they should just say 'personal matters' if the intent is to protect the player solely.

SuperSteele22

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood

'Things That Never Happened - Season 01 Episode 01'

If you watch his speech and his crocodile tears he also says he loves the club and isnt going anywhere....... Then 2 weeks later backflips.

As someone battling depression for the last 7 years i hope you find some solace peace and comfort in life.

That still doesn't mean you aren't a ***** of a person though.

Last edited:
If you watch his speech and his crocodile tears he also says he loves the club and isnt going anywhere....... Then 2 weeks later backflips.

As someone battling depression for the last 7 years i hope you find some solace peace and comfort in life.

That still doesn't mean you aren't a ***** of a person though.

There is the assumption that someone in power at Collingwood offered to clear his assumed debts if he did change his mind, and for someone with a family thats an offer thats difficult to refuse. I know loyalty should be encouraged, but when you have two mouths to feed, and a wife to support, you do whats best. Doesnt excuse him entirely, but it does change it from simply: He said this then decided to backflip. He likely had a very good reason why he flipped on his words.

Ultimately, it worked out best for us, since we brought in Neale and other deals. Hurts we lost someone like Crisp for him, who Id love to have back, but thats the nature of the game.

There is the assumption that someone in power at Collingwood offered to clear his assumed debts if he did change his mind, and for someone with a family thats an offer thats difficult to refuse. I know loyalty should be encouraged, but when you have two mouths to feed, and a wife to support, you do whats best. Doesnt excuse him entirely, but it does change it from simply: He said this then decided to backflip. He likely had a very good reason why he flipped on his words.

Ultimately, it worked out best for us, since we brought in Neale and other deals. Hurts we lost someone like Crisp for him, who Id love to have back, but thats the nature of the game.

He "conveniently" walked as the first half of his contract was front-loaded which he probably blew and was probably getting double the $ at Collingwood in salary comparison to the last two years he had left with the Lions.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
He "conveniently" walked as the first half of his contract was front-loaded which he probably blew and was probably getting double the $ at Collingwood in salary comparison to the last two years he had left with the Lions.

Eerily similar to Gibbs with us. Talk is that Fagan overruled the footy dept telling Reid to, “get it done”. Fagan wouldn’t do that if he hadn’t been instructed by our chairman. Similar on field results as well. Gibbs started well, cruised to the end of season 1 with us and largely irrelevant last year. Probably went well enough to hold his spot, but that’s not saying a lot given our season.

Cotchins Hair Piece

Bouffant Flat Top
Mar 6, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne

“I bluddy luv uze orl N aint gowin nowear” nekminnit.

Your post is rubbish by the way.

Last edited:

deltablues

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2013
Rapid City, South Dakota
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sturt, Green Bay Packers
I hope Beams is getting all the support that he needs to recover. I equally hope he is held to account for any indiscretions. Current society is quick to exonerate people if there’s a sniff of mental illness. Having a mental illness & being a terrible individual is not always mutually exclusive. Sadly it can be used as a shield or an excuse when making poor decisions, & broadly, being s**t bloke. Accountability is rarely included in the narrative. My immediate thought in this scenario was empathy toward Dayne’s family & those that are close to him. Often they are the silent victims who are the collateral damage.
Very well said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back