Rumour Dayne Beams set to “retire”

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Tell me, do you think being a dishwasher is all sunshine and roses? Trying to pay the rent, feeding your family, now that's stress, living on a shoestring trying to provide for your loved ones. Plenty of people do it, they do it everyday.
The old you can’t be depressed if you are ‘successful’ and wealthy dribble.

Depression affect everyone, in any stratum. No one, no matter how richly or simply one lives, is immune.

psychologists who have treated the very high-functioning C-suite types over the years, the consensus seems to be that this group is indeed more prone to major depression.

Something about extreme success that puts one at higher risk for depression – perhaps because it’s so pressurized, so lonely, or so empty, it triggers depression.

Yet people in third world countries who ‘have nothing’ are often the happiest.

Do tell me though, why does he deserve our sympathy?
Beams is in a bad way, people often exhibit sympathy to people experiencing misfortune.

Like anybody who is in a bad way, the worst thing you can do is lecture them, or use shame and guilt to try to effect change.

Supporting people who are self-destructive is hard, it is easier to bail on them and let them spiral out of control. but it is no different to physical first aid, the primary responsibility is always to your own health.

If attempting to help somebody places your own health in danger, step away.

Ishmael_

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2013
Six Thousand
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Fremantle
The vast majority of Australians certainly didn't support climate change as an issue in the last federal election, did that just pass you by?

That's not even close to true. Survey after survey has shown that a majority of Australians support action against climate change. That number may fluctuate, but the majority has remained for over a decade.

The reality is, there are very few 'issue' voters and that small number is diminishing.

Labor lost because of a confluence of myriad factors. Mixed messaging/poor messaging, an historically weak leader, a media largely stacked against progressive politics and policies that were poorly articulated and easy to direct scare campaigns against by said media.

Throw in some truly dodgy campaigning from Palmer, preferencing and some flat out untrue social media messaging from vested interests and you have a Labor loss.

I mean hell, Abbott lost his, largely because of his stance on climate change.

incog43

Club Legend
Nov 24, 2008
hobart
AFL Club
Carlton

Depression affect everyone, in any stratum. No one, no matter how richly or simply one lives, is immune.

psychologists who have treated the very high-functioning C-suite types over the years, the consensus seems to be that this group is indeed more prone to major depression.

Something about extreme success that puts one at higher risk for depression – perhaps because it’s so pressurized, so lonely, or so empty, it triggers depression.

Beams is in a bad way, people often exhibit sympathy to people experiencing misfortune.

Like anybody who is in a bad way, the worst thing you can do is lecture them, or use shame and guilt to try to effect change.

Supporting people who are self-destructive is hard, it is easier to bail on them and let them spiral out of control. but it is no different to physical first aid, the primary responsibility is always to your own health.

The old you can’t be depressed if you are ‘successful’ and wealthy dribble - not at all, its the old lotsa people are doing it tough out there dribble and they just get on with it every day.

Beams is in a bad way, people often exhibit sympathy to people experiencing misfortune. - your sympathy does not make one iota of difference to beams and his family, but it makes YOU feel better with all that hand wringing I suspect.

I don't think he said he deserves no sympathy. He did well in a high stress environment, made lots of money, and we have an idea what came next...

Beams owns his actions and the issues he currently faces, all of them.

Tell me, do you think being a dishwasher is all sunshine and roses? Trying to pay the rent, feeding your family, now that's stress, living on a shoestring trying to provide for your loved ones. Plenty of people do it, they do it everyday.

Beams created his problems, now lets see him sort them out, it may be as simple as focusing on his family and health, and I hope it works for him.

Do tell me though, why does he deserve our sympathy?

You dont have to have sympathy for him, but you also dont need to take the high ground and claim hes just making excuses. You can take the middle ground, and accept not everything is black and white.

Or we could all sit here and eat popcorn while his issues catch up on him, regardless if they are a byproduct of his experiences or just sheer dumb chance.

The old you can’t be depressed if you are ‘successful’ and wealthy dribble - not at all, its the old lotsa people are doing it tough out there dribble and they just get on with it every day.

Beams is in a bad way, people often exhibit sympathy to people experiencing misfortune. - your sympathy does not make one iota of difference to beams and his family, but it makes YOU feel better with all that hand wringing I suspect.

So unless you can actively help the situation in an impactful way, your opinion is completely invalid?

incog43

Club Legend
Nov 24, 2008
hobart
AFL Club
Carlton
That's not even close to true. Survey after survey has shown that a majority of Australians support action against climate change. That number may fluctuate, but the majority has remained for over a decade.

The reality is, there are very few 'issue' voters and that small number is diminishing.

Labor lost because of a confluence of myriad factors. Mixed messaging/poor messaging, an historically weak leader, a media largely stacked against progressive politics and policies that were poorly articulated and easy to direct scare campaigns against by said media.

Throw in some truly dodgy campaigning from Palmer, preferencing and some flat out untrue social media messaging from vested interests and you have a Labor loss.

I mean hell, Abbott lost his, largely because of his stance on climate change.

Well actually, I really could get less about survey after survey, the election result is the one that counts, policy is derived from that result.

Labor lost because people care about the economy, jobs, energy prices et al....sadly, you just don't get that.

Jan 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Well actually, I really could get less about survey after survey, the election result is the one that counts, policy is derived from that result.

Labor lost because people care about the economy, jobs, energy prices et al....sadly, you just don't get that.
Gee , a few post back you were saying it was climate change.
Now you added this lot.

But you did forget the big one , Shorten was not well liked. Scotty from marketing played a far better game.

Last edited:

incog43

Club Legend
Nov 24, 2008
hobart
AFL Club
Carlton
You dont have to have sympathy for him, but you also dont need to take the high ground and claim hes just making excuses. You can take the middle ground, and accept not everything is black and white.

Or we could all sit here and eat popcorn while his issues catch up on him, regardless if they are a byproduct of his experiences or just sheer dumb chance.

He is suffering the consequences of his actions, that's okay, people do that everyday. There is no high ground, there is just reality, he is living it as we type.

I suspect, his circumstances are quite black and white, but concede not all is known.

We are eating popcorn as his issues catch up with him, none of us are doing anything to actually help him.

Of course you could, why don't you loan him a couple of 100k? That would be actually doing something, rather than just using the word compassion a lot and wringing your hands, that is, nothing.

incog43

Club Legend
Nov 24, 2008
hobart
AFL Club
Carlton
If his financial situation was a dire as what has been aid i wonder

Gee , a few post back you were saying it was climate change.
Now you added this lost.

But you did forget the big one , Shorten was not well liked. Scotty from marketing played a far better game.

Well look, if you cant see the correlation between labors climate change policies and the economy, jobs and energy prices...that's not my fault :)

Very sad to hear that another absolutely gifted player is taken from us by the spectre of mental health. Loved watching him play and a real shame and loss to the entire AFL family. Loss of a parent will rock you no matter how much money/fame/success you have. Here's to hoping he can sort it out and come back stronger and be a force for change.

Side note: When is the AFL going to wake up? Hogan, Boyd, Beams... the list just keeps on growing.....

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
The old has no money = doing it tough!?

Having money and success has been linked to higher instances of depression.

If you are depressed, you can’t just get on with it...that is the ******* point.

Why do you actually think money and wealth solves depression? It actually causes it!!

Nothing worse than an ill informed, overpaid dish pig spouting s**t.

Beams is in a bad way, people often exhibit sympathy to people experiencing misfortune. -
your sympathy does not make one iota of difference to beams and his family, but it makes YOU feel better with all that hand wringing I suspect.

I don’t know Beams from a bar of soap, it is always disheartening reading about anybody who isn’t in control of their life.

As a Pies fan, my selfish vested interest is only about whether all of this drama is having any negative impact on the other players.

I just tire of ill informed nuffies who hark back to Beams had money, he lived a privileged life, he can’t be depressed...nonsense

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

You are right. Summit syndrome seems to be a big factor with people in these walks of life.

I feel that these people have had mental demons since a young age, and never have it addressed.. instead only to attempt to numb the feelings by reaching great heights in life that most of us lack with that drive and ambion - but why do they have that sort of work ethic? - It's a coping mechanism. When they reach that summit of success, they then realize that everything they have worked for and put their time and effort into, does not change the person they are or the problems they are running away from and trying to cover up. They wake up with money, fame, a beautiful wife, kids, big house, The Benz and dog.. and they realize they are the same person than before they had these things. It can actually be quite devastating for a human mind to have this realization. And whilst teens and young people absolutely suffer these mental illnesses too, you will notice that with sports people they have these huge mental break downs later in their career just after they have passed their peak - Key indicator of summit syndrome.. everything to achieve has already been done, and they are coming down from the top of the mountain.

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Oh, that's just because we're stupid and selfish. We know there is a climate change emergency, but we're stupid and selfish enough to think we will get some sort of action on climate change from any government, but we'll also get the promised economic boom that liberal governments always promise - even though the money never actually lands in the pockets of average Australians. We are pretty much the most politically stupid populace in the world - probably even more than the US.

Why even worry about that? The earth has been through 3 ice ages, meteor bombardments and a whole bunch of other devastating events.. It does this and it recovers. This human impact on the environment thing is a load of garbage. The earth will correct itself.. and just look at this coronavirus.. suddenly no climate change stories in the news... all the self serving climate change preachers are walking around in disposable face masks (which do nothing) and cleaning out chemists of hand sanitizer. So don't stress my friend.. because if this virus or another virus at some point takes hold and wipes most of us out, climate change is naturally fixed.

incog43

Club Legend
Nov 24, 2008
hobart
AFL Club
Carlton
The old has no money = doing it tough!?

Having money and success has been linked to higher instances of depression.

If you are depressed, you can’t just get on with it...that is the ******* point.

Why do you actually think money and wealth solves depression? It actually causes it!!

Nothing worse than an ill informed, overpaid dish pig spouting s**t.

I don’t know Beams from a bar of soap, it is always disheartening reading about anybody who isn’t in control of their life.

As a Pies fan, my selfish vested interest is only about whether all of this drama is having any negative impact on the other players.

I just tire of ill informed nuffies who hark back to Beams had money, he lived a privileged life, he can’t be depressed...nonsense

Why do you actually think money and wealth solves depression? It actually causes it!! - actually nobody said that, if you had bothered reading..

btw, its not the money that causes depression in this case, its the actions...

it is always disheartening reading about anybody who isn’t in control of their life. - no its not actually, but, I guess you can wring your hands about it and feel good :)

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Side note: When is the AFL going to wake up? Hogan, Boyd, Beams... the list just keeps on growing.....

What actions or preventative measures do you think the AFL can take?

Mental health affects everyone from retail workers to tradies to lawyers to athletes - it doesn’t discriminate.

A few high profile cases in the AFL is merely reflective of what is happening in other industries / wider society.

Jun 26, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
What on earth does the opposite of sympathy being contempt have to do with it? You just made that up. One does not have to care to comment or have an opinion. Nobody suggested he has hurt anybody, but then he has hasn't he, he has hurt himself and the ones he loves most, by his own actions. I do not have to feel sorry for him at all, he made his own decisions, he made bad decisions, there are consequences, a lot of people deal with these every day, should we feel sorry for all of them? By the way, we are not all stupid, though I concede we may all make mistakes.
No one said there weren't consequences to his actions. But why wouldnt you feel sorry for people who make poor decisions? It's so easy for persons to sit on their thrones feeling justified that people get their rightful punishments. More often than not peoples minds dish out more than enough 'justice'. For this to happen as a public person is crap. There is nowhere for him to hide.
Good luck to you if you screw up and a million people 'comment or have an opinion'. Imagine being thrown into a job like that at 18 years of age ffs have some bloody compassion you ghoul

StuieG

Debutant
Aug 26, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
The modern world must love you,

the AFL take advantage of good intentioned people. like all scummy corporations. the AFL have no shame. people dead and thousands of houses destroys, millions of animals killed and they will take advantage of that sorrowful landscape. mental health? yeah cant touch that in case the one genuine case amongst all the pill loving piss takers actually tops himself. theyre pieces of s**t and undermine issues with integrity.
Oh, that's just because we're stupid and selfish. We know there is a climate change emergency, but we're stupid and selfish enough to think we will get some sort of action on climate change from any government, but we'll also get the promised economic boom that liberal governments always promise - even though the money never actually lands in the pockets of average Australians. We are pretty much the most politically stupid populace in the world - probably even more than the US.
So far off topic but maybe some Australians are smart enough to know that if man made CC is real that what Australia does makes absolutely no difference. Link me one report that says of 1% will make any difference one way or the other and I'll eat my hat.

Yeh it's a bad attitude but science doesn't run on good feelings.

Simbatheking21

All Australian
Sep 11, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thanks for everything Dayne.

yes, his exit was horrible but he was one of the major changes in culture at the lions.

I lost my father to suicide at 25 years old. I know daynes hurt regardless of how a father goes out.

I wish him nothing but the absolute best in life for him and his family.
An absolute talent on and off the field

cheers Dayne wish you nothing but the best

incog43

Club Legend
Nov 24, 2008
hobart
AFL Club
Carlton
No one said there weren't consequences to his actions. But why wouldnt you feel sorry for people who make poor decisions? It's so easy for persons to sit on their thrones feeling justified that people get their rightful punishments. More often than not peoples minds dish out more than enough 'justice'. For this to happen as a public person is crap. There is nowhere for him to hide.
Good luck to you if you screw up and a million people 'comment or have an opinion'. Imagine being thrown into a job like that at 18 years of age ffs have some bloody compassion you ghoul

Compassion is cheap, now doing something that's action. Go and help him mate, actually do something aside from typing compassion, which is to say u are doing nothing but standing on a soapbox telling everyone how good you are, you and your compassion :) Just empty words, no action behind them...

Jun 26, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Compassion is cheap, now doing something that's action. Go and help him mate, actually do something aside from typing compassion, which is to say u are doing nothing but standing on a soapbox telling everyone how good you are, you and your compassion :) Just empty words, no action behind them...
I dont have the capacity to help him with his problems. That doesn't mean I cant understand that he has some. Do you really need someone to personally bail you out to show they have empathy for another person? A lot of comments here are going for this guys throat just because he is troubled and we know who he is. No soap box. It should never be a stage to stand up to this kind of stuff.
'Hahaha he made so many mistakes watch his life crumble' yeah good on you. Be a big man.

incog43

Club Legend
Nov 24, 2008
hobart
AFL Club
Carlton
I dont have the capacity to help him with his problems. That doesn't mean I cant understand that he has some. Do you really need someone to personally bail you out to show they have empathy for another person? A lot of comments here are going for this guys throat just because he is troubled and we know who he is. No soap box. It should never be a stage to stand up to this kind of stuff.
'Hahaha he made so many mistakes watch his life crumble' yeah good on you. Be a big man.

No mate, maybe his life is just starting. Now that's understanding.

you are all talk, compassion, empathy, all free, no investment, but you get to feel good don't you.

That quote above, I never typed that. Just make it up as you go pal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back