Player Watch Dayne Beams - Steps away from footy to deal with mental health.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Not being able to function properly because you have depression or because you have an addiction is one thing.
To have the nerve to look everyone in the eye in his BnF speech and say that he isn’t going to Collingwood, to have the nerve to ridicule and run down Caroline Wilson when she said he would go and him knowing he would go, that is a different thing.
I’ll lend a hand to anyone having a go and I don’t expect people who have depression to act like they don’t.

I don’t expect anyone to act like a sh.ttalker and if they do and it blows up in their face don’t expect my sympathy.
You can give all sort of excuses but yes that does look poor

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Really hasn't been relevant since originally leaving Collingwood.

Good luck with whatever he decides in the future. Has millions to fall back on for at least some comfort in life.

GoGeta

Team Captain
Mar 4, 2013
Vic
AFL Club
Geelong
As bad Cousins imo, apparently helped out of huge debt by Collingwood then does the dirty. Lost any respect I had for him, this Mental Health issue "Drug Habit" BS has to stop.

Agree, Every high profile person hiding behind the tag mental health to avoid accepting responsibility for their actions is undermining decades of work by many caring people who have fought to bring mental health to the forefront of public consciousness. Technically any type of substance abuse will give a person mental health problems, but the way in which celebrities are throwing the word around is akin to lawyers using the old insanity defence, distinctions need to be made!

As for Dayne, I wish as much goodwill to him as I do any other person with serious drug and gambling problems.

Last edited:

GoGeta

Team Captain
Mar 4, 2013
Vic
AFL Club
Geelong
Not being able to function properly because you have depression or because you have an addiction is one thing.
To have the nerve to look everyone in the eye in his BnF speech and say that he isn’t going to Collingwood, to have the nerve to ridicule and run down Caroline Wilson when she said he would go and him knowing he would go, that is a different thing.
I’ll lend a hand to anyone having a go and I don’t expect people who have depression to act like they don’t.

I don’t expect anyone to act like a sh.ttalker and if they do and it blows up in their face don’t expect my sympathy.

Then you don't have much experience with Depression. Many people with it try very hard to hide it, after all it is a very human instinct to protect ones self by not appearing weak, it's ingrained in us, especially men.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Whilst i would like to give him the time and respect for 'Genuine' mental illness i am starting to question Beams motives to an extent

Wants to go home for Dad - Fine i can respect that
Wants to come back - Yeah thats ok too

But looks like when he wants something his mind is in a good space and after he gets it it goes into problem mode
Just looking like this guy has been on very very good coin for a very very long time but has not really done much for it the last 5 years

But always 'In a good space' when contract is running out ?

I have my doubts

He's walked away from football and the money from what he has said. He would still be getting paid something but sounds like not full contract value.

Collingwood took a risk and lost, thats their fault and they are paying for it.

Its a tough gig playing AFL especially for a big club.

No one here knows the full story so jumping to conclusions and being critical is dangerous.

Saying that there are tens of thousands of people who struggke with mental illness and have nowhere near the support and income of AFL footballers. A trip to Cambodia or a remote indigenous community might help him realise just how luck he is.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
He's walked away from football and the money from what he has said. He would still be getting paid something but sounds like not full contract value.

Collingwood took a risk and lost, thats their fault and they are paying for it.

Its a tough gig playing AFL especially for a big club.

No one here knows the full story so jumping to conclusions and being critical is dangerous.

Saying that there are tens of thousands of people who struggke with mental illness and have nowhere near the support and income of AFL footballers. A trip to Cambodia or a remote indigenous community might help him realise just how luck he is.
I'm not sure about that.

He has an injury/illness so I imagine he would be pretty much on full pay as per his contract.

queensberryrules

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
As bad Cousins imo, apparently helped out of huge debt by Collingwood then does the dirty. Lost any respect I had for him, this Mental Health issue "Drug Habit" BS has to stop.
I think you have been hanging out with the low IQ brigade in the Safeway carpark too much.

However Beams represented himself, the Pies are responsible for running DD, checking it out, making an offer, signing the deal.

It reminds me of the Balme - Grubby Allen fiasco at my club.

Pies are poorly run, change at the top needed to become a truly professional org.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

queensberryrules

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree, Every high profile person hiding behind the tag mental health to avoid accepting responsibility for their actions is undermining decades of work by many caring people who have fought to bring mental health to the forefront of public consciousness. Technically any type of substance abuse will give a person mental health problems, but the way in which celebrities are throwing the word around is akin to lawyers using to old insanity defence, distinctions need to be made!

As for Dayne, I wish as much goodwill to him as I do any other person with serious drug and gambling problems.
If you believe in free will, you will be forced to believe in your own BS. Ironical, hey.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
I think you have been hanging out with the low IQ brigade in the Safeway carpark too much.

However Beams represented himself, the Pies are responsible for running DD, checking it out, making an offer, signing the deal.

It reminds me of the Balme - Grubby Allen fiasco at my club.

Pies are poorly run, change at the top needed to become a truly professional org.

Pies poorly run- is that a view shared by a number of Collingwood fans?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Man there are some misinformed assholes on Bigfooty who are happy to just smear someone's name and wildly speculate.

Mental health issues are brutal, they can make every day a struggle regardless of what the person is doing in their life or their position/status.

I wish him well and a full recovery, and hope people on here realise the seriousness of these issues.

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat
Regardless of the cause of his woes, you hate to see someone battling through what should be the prime of their life - hopefully Beams is able to get himself into a better place.

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
across the park from commission flats
AFL Club
Richmond
Regardless of the cause of his woes, you hate to see someone battling through what should be the prime of their life - hopefully Beams is able to get himself into a better place.
somebody already mentioned here before...when contract up for negotiating they're all in a great space...after that..we'll see if the vices i indulge in
pay off...if they dont i'll just pull the mental health card...

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat
somebody already mentioned here before...when contract up for negotiating they're all in a great space...after that..we'll see if the vices i indulge in
pay off...if they dont i'll just pull the mental health card...
I'm not going to bs and pretend to know the ins & outs of his circumstances but putting on a front is a common occurrence with people experiencing mental health issues, particularly amongst men.

Bobber

Team Captain
Feb 17, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Feel bad for the blokes who took a pay cut so he could go back to Collingwood, what a farce

Worst trade of the last decade surely

Back