Review Dayne Beams - The Midfielder

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have long thought that Dayne Beams is one of our best players. In fact if I rated our players 1-40 I'd have him in the Top 10.

He's an all round footballer without very many weaknesses in his skill-set. He's one of the best kicks at the club, hard, has a good football brain, can find it with ease, is good inside or outside, is an excellent endurance athlete, a goalkicker and is strong overhead for his size.

I think the last couple of weeks have shown that AS A MIDFIELDER he is a better player than Wellingham, easily. Wellingham has his good games but his disposal is erratic and he has more average games than he has good games IMO. Every time Beams plays in the midfield he performs and he only ever seems to struggle when we play him as a high half forward or in a pocket. It's just not his natural position and even though he can perform there, he's wasted IMO. He was in our best 2 or 3 early last week when we weren't playing well and this week he was clearly our best player early and set us up for the win. This is all after 8 weeks out of the team.

Personally I think everyone jumped off him after his GF performance last year and forgot how good he actually is. It amazes me that so many people say he is fighting for his spot. As I said, he is a better midfielder than Wellingham and has easily been the better of the two from less games so far this year. I just think the kid's a gun and a future club champion and should play as a full-time mid, at Wellingham's expense to improve us as a side.

Thoughts?

*EDIT. I am not saying that Wellingham should be dropped, just that his role as a fulltime mid over Beams should be re-thought. He's just not consistent enough and doesn't effect enough contests.

rose jam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Re: Dayne Beams the midfielder

6th in the B&F in a flag year.

Surprised he came straight back in after a broken foot but he looks fit and in great touch straight up. Kudos to the fitness staff for that and Dayne

Pleasedontfail11

Premiership Player
Oct 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
F1 racing

It is good that our midfield has so many bodies that can run through there:

Swan, Pendles, Ball, Didak, Thomas, Wellingham, Sidebottom, Krakouer, Beams, Blair, Davis, Johnson, McCarthy, Fasolo and many more

Mar 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

It is good that our midfield has so many bodies that can run through there:

Swan, Pendles, Ball, Didak, Thomas, Wellingham, Sidebottom, Krakouer, Beams, Blair, Davis, Johnson, McCarthy, Fasolo and many more

I agree but there are a few mainstays in Swan, Pendlebury, Ball, Thomas and Wellingham. We would be a better team if Beams was one of them IMO. At the moment he spends more time forward than midfield. I think it should be the other way around. Kid's a jet.

Heater39

Club Legend
Jun 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

Yeah Beams is a gun, couldn't believe some people had him out of our best 22 at the start of the year.

Re the Wellingham thing, I'd say they're about equal as pure mids, however Wellingham can't play anywhere else, whereas Beams is a very effective half forward.

Therefore its more beneficial to the team having Wellingham playing as a mid, with Beams playing half forward rotating through the midfield.

Wooljay

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2009
Omicron Persei 8
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal

Probably played his best game in recent memory last night, and only his second game back from a pretty lengthy injury. Says big things about him mentally.

Number 10

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood

Completely agree with everything you said. He is such a gun and I would put his kicking skills behind only Davis, Didak and Reid.

As you said, his all round game is top notch. I have always thought that he will be the next Swan for Collingwood and then some.

Fully endorse this thread.

Swooop

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 29, 2007
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood

Put my hand up, I thought Beams was rated a tad higher here than he deserved.

But after a lengthy layoff, to play back and slot in like he has ( albeit against not great opposition in GC and Port) he has been amazing.

And also, yes, I did go off him more than perhaps was reasonable after the GFs.

Jul 3, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Heat, Victory, Man Utd, Redskins
The quandary is he hits the scoreboard so heavily, putting him midfield probably doesn't help the team although it would be good for Daynes development.

bucksisbest

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2002
Club Silencio
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm happy with him getting some mid time when parts of the A team are given a spell , but spending most of his time as a high half forward. Very good inside game, excellent hands, but also very good goal sense and generally has a couple of shots at goal a game.

He's running really well for someone out so long with a foot injury.

Oct 25, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood

Completely agree with everything you said. He is such a gun and I would put his kicking skills behind only Davis, Didak and Reid.

As you said, his all round game is top notch. I have always thought that he will be the next Swan for Collingwood and then some.

Sizeable call you've made there Number 10! Mind you, would be fairly happy if it turned out to be true :thumbsu:

HFF

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Liverpool, FC Bayern
I'm happy with what Beams is providing to the team now to be honest.

We have amazing midfield rotation depth and because he can impact and apply scoreboard pressure, playing as a high half forward with some full time midfield minutes is what serves the team best at the moment. In time, he will get more permanent minutes in the midfield but he is a star and his work is not going unnoticed that's for sure.

As for Wellingham, it's not a matter of swapping Beams for him. Sharrod offers the midfield variety. Outside of Daisy, he is probably the only one with genuine burst ability from congestion. Plays inside or out and when he hits the pack at full tilt or moves through traffic with that amazing sidestep he is very hard to stop (see how many goals he has kicked when doing this). He is also a very good overhead mark and just as tough and hard as Beams. Wellingham's importance should also be noted as to how he handled being a key domino with Swanny and Daisy missing from the Melbourne game- was BOG.

Just be grateful that we have both these talented kids that compliment and add something different and unique each to the side.

carnthepies19

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood

I love Beamsy! I agree, in a few years time he will be in the top 20 players in the competition, for sure. He's come back even better from his injury, which is a credit to him for working so hard to get back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sidebottom says hello.:thumbsu:

mdc

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Jun 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

Beams is a significantly better player than Wellingham in isolation, but unfortunately for him he's a bit too similar to Pendlebury and Ball in terms of strengths and weaknesses.

I always thought he was the obvious replacement for Ball when he retired, but the way Ball looks this season that mightn't be for a few years yet. Unfortunately Beams finds himself in a similar position to what James Kelly did for the Cats. His versatility cost him a spot in the midfield rotation oftentimes.

All that said, I think he's the second-best 21/U midfielder in the AFL (behind Cotchin), so it's a bloody crime we don't get to see him in his best position. Not sure what the solution is though.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός

To this day I still don't know why he was dropped after Anzac day. Had a great game and kicked 2 goals (was it ANZAC Day?, I just remember he was dropped after playing a good game).

Makes me think if there was some off field stuff going on with him before his injury.

To this day I still don't know why he was dropped after Anzac day. Had a great game and kicked 2 goals (was it ANZAC Day?, I just remember he was dropped after playing a good game).

Makes me think if there was some off field stuff going on with him before his injury.
He actually had a very poor game, only picked up 11 disposals.

I thought about him, but I reckon Beams has much better penetration. Both very accurate kicks imv....
Before Saturdays game Sidey was statistically the best in the comp.
Love them both though.
Beams and Sidey are like peas in a pod and were both important parts of last years flag.

Can someone post up his DE over his career?

I see Beams and Sidebottom as rivals, a pair. Much like Thomas and Pendlebury and both will probably follow the same path as these Thomas and Pendlebury.

Fasta_123

Team Captain
May 27, 2011
Malvern
AFL Club
Collingwood

I don't see them as rival pairs I see them as best buddy's who tend to look for each other whilst playing. Ever notice how many times you hear 'pendles to Thomas or beams to sidebottom"? Reckon they do a lot of training together and know each others movement with an without the ball gameday

Jelly Bean

Premiership Player
Dec 12, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood

Sidebottom says hello.:thumbsu:

Sidebottom's kicking skills are well behind these three, and behind Pendles' and Beams' as well.

To be honest, I would also put him behind Shaw, O'Brien, and Thomas too. Vastly overrated kick on this board.

I don't see them as rival pairs I see them as best buddy's who tend to look for each other whilst playing. Ever notice how many times you hear 'pendles to Thomas or beams to sidebottom"? Reckon they do a lot of training together and know each others movement with an without the ball gameday
Yeah but you'd think they'd be competitive in training considering they are from the same draft. I've heard that Beamsy spends a lot of time at Sideys house since they live near eachother.
Sidebottom's kicking skills are well behind these three, and behind Pendles' and Beams' as well.

To be honest, I would also put him behind Shaw, O'Brien, and Thomas too. Vastly overrated kick on this board.
I wouldn't say that Shaw or O'brien have good kicks tbh. I don't remember him having a really good kick as he had against Port Adelaide, was certainly a highlight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back