Opinion Dayne Beams to Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm pretty sure this would have already been said, but Dayne Beams won't be coming back to Collingwood, so why is this thread still going?! And why was it ever started!?

Careful, you're putting him in the s**t bloke category. Remember his manager said 80% family 20% mates and stuff?

Getting put in the s**t bloke category tends to happen when you are one.

Would the ‘stuff’ also include the 1mil+ contract that made him the highest paid player in the AFL in his first year at the Lions

Getting put in the s**t bloke category tends to happen when you are one.

Would the ‘stuff’ also include the 1mil+ contract that made him the highest paid player in the AFL in his first year at the Lions
That doesn't make him a s**t bloke though.

Didak is a soft utensil who couldn't tackle and was statistically iffy despite seeming to be amazing. Could not give a s**t about his opinion.

I'm neither here nor there on his retirement just saying he had gripes as the poster I originally quoted thought he didn't. Hopefully you can get your 6k back not like he hasn't earned enough coin over his time as a player.

Didak had gripes over his retirement he thought he had a another year or 2.

Didak couldn't get a kick in local footy no one was feeding him the footy, he quit pretty quickly.

It does if you're giving your dad's illness as the reason though.
---

I have no doubt that part of the reason Beams wanted to go was to be close to family. My understanding at the time was that his dad lived in the southern suburbs of Brisbane, so was just as close to GC as he was to Brissy.
So - being close to family does not explain why he, reportedly, refused to negotiate with Gold Coast, why he refused an offer of extended leave, or of extended breaks during the season.

If he just come out and been open about his reasons for leaving, and if he acted professionally on the way out - then that would have been acceptable. He's highly paid professional - he should act like one.
That behaviour is why people call him a s**t bloke. (I don't know the guy - so I am not making that statement. All I am saying is that unless something has changed, I dont want him back at the club)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It does if you're giving your dad's illness as the reason though.
---

I have no doubt that part of the reason Beams wanted to go was to be close to family. My understanding at the time was that his dad lived in the southern suburbs of Brisbane, so was just as close to GC as he was to Brissy.
So - being close to family does not explain why he, reportedly, refused to negotiate with Gold Coast, why he refused an offer of extended leave, or of extended breaks during the season.

If he just come out and been open about his reasons for leaving, and if he acted professionally on the way out - then that would have been acceptable. He's highly paid professional - he should act like one.
That behaviour is why people call him a s**t bloke. (I don't know the guy - so I am not making that statement. All I am saying is that unless something has changed, I dont want him back at the club)
I don't think the two are mutually exclusive, he's allowed to pick the club that gives him the most money and gets him closer to his dad, he's not a s**t bloke for that.

The other factor is also his brother plays for Brisbane.

I'm not saying I want him back at the club, I'm not even saying he's not a s**t bloke, I just don't think he's a s**t bloke for only wanting to go to Brisbane.

Yeah I know. I probably shouldnae give one. But there you go.

All I know is - he shouldn't be involved in the fashion industry. Or any other business capacity.

Loved him as a footballer. Hate him as a person.
was he dodgy or was it more a case of bad investment/business choices?

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive, he's allowed to pick the club that gives him the most money and gets him closer to his dad, he's not a s**t bloke for that.

The other factor is also his brother plays for Brisbane.

I'm not saying I want him back at the club, I'm not even saying he's not a s**t bloke, I just don't think he's a s**t bloke for only wanting to go to Brisbane.

I'm not saying they are.

I am saying that he should've been open about the multiple reasons and not make it publicly about his dad's illness - the way he did it basically gave the Pies no choice at all, and no leverage at the trade table - our club would have been absolutely crucified if we did not trade him to the Lions.
---

Anyway, the guy lost his dad this year, I don't want to be dragging this all up again and not even sure of the purpose of this thread because its not gonna happen.

Last edited:

Shitting on the club that gave you a QC and got you out of a big bit a of strife.

As well as putting up with your self reporting drug strikes certainly does put you in the s**t bloke category.

It’s a footy forum mate, speculation and discussion abound.
And it’s a no for me to Dayno, was a good player, Pie premiership man, burnt a couple of bridges but I think we could fill that void elsewhere.

This guy gets it.

I cannot understand the impotence to assume no one else can have a conversation or ask opinions on an internet forum. Just because you don't like a story.. You don't have to attack the conversation, just don't partake turn around and click back on that web browser you know. I guess the irony is the guy above is using a forum to spread his opinion as s**t as it is.

I'm pretty sure this would have already been said, but Dayne Beams won't be coming back to Collingwood, so why is this thread still going?! And why was it ever started!?

It's been a good read. Some interesting discussion on our culture and the individuals of the time. It actually makes me think if we'd stuck fat with some of the players from that period we may have driven off a cliff. Seems a lot chaos in there and not many of them went on to do much of note except Shaw. Perhaps Buckley's culture cull was actually insightful and steered us away from the precipice.

Putting aside the history and the way in which Beams exited the club, which straight up rules him out imo, I don't think theres a good football argument for his return. He's 29, injury prone and runs one way. We've played our best when Pendles and Treloar contribute defensively and Phillips, Aish and Sidebottom push back and forward hard. Beams would stuff that mix. His one real quality was his ball retention when kicking inside 50 was really good. That would be handy but kicking to the Collingwood forward line of 2011 is a different proposition to our 2018 group.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back