Traded Dayne Beams [traded with #41 and #43 to Collingwood for #18, #56 and future 1st round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Bringing in a 29 year old midfielder for two first round picks is absolutely ludicrous. Collingwood dont need another midfielder. They have good mids and good depth. Absolutely baffles me. They're in need of key position players, not a 29 year old midfielder.

Probably a heart rather than head decision. I'm happy to have a returning son back in the club, whilst also acutely aware that the price was reasonably steep for a well-equipped position.

Who else should we have targetted?

Midfield:
Strongest midfielders in the comp
Grundy.

Forward
KPP: De Goey + Cox, one dominant goal square KPF another pack mark KPF that can also ruck
Small/medium forwards: Elliot, Hoskin-Elliot, Stephensen, Thomas, Mayne, Wells

Defence:
Medium defender-Crisp + Howe, Langdon. First 2 are both ranked in the top 2 of medium defenders according to AFL rating
Small defender-Maynard, dominated both Greene and Martin

So you say we should've chosen a key defender in May?
JJK and Darling averaged 5.5 goals when they played together this year for 52 inside 50s per game.

They kicked 4.0 goals for 63 inside 50s against us in the finals, and that was when we played Langdon+Goldsack.

That's without our 2 best KPDs in Dunn and Scharenberg, who are both perfect matchups against JJK/Darling.
Next year we get both back, Moore may be available, we picked up Roughhead, we get Kelly as a young intercepting CHB through the draft. Reid/Goldsack potentially as depth. That inside 50 count was when Pendlebury was sick, Sidebottom was tagged, Treloar was rushed back from severe hamstring injury, Sier wasn't fit. We had like 4/6 of our best midfielders not being ready.

Truth to be told, we just have an extraordinary list of talent all across the ground, we pick the best talent available.
There's a lot of mayo in all of that, but letting that slide, where would you say Collingwood's weakest area is? My point is it's not the midfield, and for the price you paid you could have targeted a weaker area rather than your biggest strength. Cox played a ripping prelim final, but with 25 goals for the year he isn't close to the top rung of forwards in the game. If you consider De Goey a "dominant goal square KPF (lol)" - he'd be kicking 70 goals a year if he met that tag. Even your best key defenders outside of Howe are behind quite a few others.

Bringing in a 29 year old midfielder for two first round picks is absolutely ludicrous. Collingwood dont need another midfielder. They have good mids and good depth. Absolutely baffles me. They're in need of key position players, not a 29 year old midfielder.
You need to learn football.

Check your points position across the next 2 drafts before you keep spouting that. A pick for Quaynor in the top 10 wipes out this year, Kelly would put you into debt next year... a year when you only have 700odd points based on this years ladder positions. Hope you don’t have anyone in the academy next year.

Beams, as good as he is, has really killed your draft flexibility. Big outlay to further strengthen a known strength....
That is a good point but you're talking about a team that barely lost a grand final this year bringing in a midfielder who would jump into their top three mids and push the last one out the other side of the bed, and this is a team who was smashed by a single mid in the middle. So they are playing for a flag in the next two years more than they are worried about picking up non-academy and non-father/son picks next year.

That is a good point but you're talking about a team that barely lost a grand final this year bringing in a midfielder who would jump into their top three mids and push the last one out the other side of the bed, and this is a team who was smashed by a single mid in the middle. So they are playing for a flag in the next two years more than they are worried about picking up non-academy and non-father/son picks next year.

Yep. Although not sure Beams will be pushing any of our rotating mids from the GF completely out of the team.

Will just allow them to occasionally push out to other areas of the ground where they can be most dangerous with their skill sets. Eg Pendles to half back, Beams/Sidey/Treloar/DeGoey forward.

Other than probably Sier (who is probably exclusively only a midfield extractor) all of our midfielders are capable of being very good to exceptional players in other parts of the ground.

Whats another midfielder gonna add?
When an elite midfielder wants to join your club, you accommodate.

Midfielders win games of football.

Dayne Beams, an absolute star, cost us a first rounder only.

Collingwood’s strategy was spot on, we replaced our pick 18 this year with 2 picks in the 40s which will be used to get our NGA and F&S.

Absolute worst case, we go into deficit - and that’s if those guys are rated higher by opposition clubs, which is only a good thing.

I'd argue he's not a KPF - mostly because his style is more that of a marking medium sized forward. The way he plays forward is similar to the other gun midfielders like Martin, Dangerfield and Parker. His size reinforces that perception.
Either way he's a gun forward and if he played forward the entire season may be capable of winning a Coleman.
Darling isn't a KPF? What a load of rubbish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that bad. He gave us good service when fit, sat through the garbage and helped change the culture. The initial deal only looks bad because Collingwood can draft and develop talent well. I think we're proving now that we can too, and two firsts will help.

I'm only annoyed that he took the front ended years and pissed off once he was coming to the lower years. That's life.

Yeah I'm okay with the original trade considering how much Dayne helped us in terms of culture and development of our young guns. Very happy with this trade- two first rounders as well as Neale is excellent work by Noble and co

people with a better understanding of the 2019 draft and clubs academy / father sons pulled the trigger. I'll back the people getting a stack of money to know what they are doing.

some people rate Qaynor and Kelly as first round talents. Kelly shut down Lukousis in the carnival and Qaynor did the same to Rankine. So 2 firsts and some late picks for Beams and 2 young stars seems ok to me. Have a look at our list demographic and you'll see it is still young.

We have no academy or F/s next year. year after though we ave a few.
Points deficit wont stop us picking these two up and yes if there is a nomination early we pay more but still have a huge discount and enough points to minimise the deficit so its manageable. Especially knowing you can trade back in next year and given the depth we have there will be players not getting games that will deserve an opportunity elsewhere.
The teams that might nominate earlier than we hope are - GWS pick 11(2nd pick), Cats Pick 12, Crows pick 13. Not sure the interstate clubs would risk him given his ties to us and Victoria.

This is going to be another trade that neutrals make up the value of. “ Collingwood trades two first round picks!!” Correction - two late first round picks (most likely) with crucial commodities that don’t affect our 2018 draft hand at all coming back with Beams

And Beams isn’t just another midfielder - he’s a top 10-15 midfielder in the game. Our midfield was already elite, now it’s eliter. Absolute no brainer for Collingwood.

There's a lot of mayo in all of that, but letting that slide, where would you say Collingwood's weakest area is? My point is it's not the midfield, and for the price you paid you could have targeted a weaker area rather than your biggest strength. Cox played a ripping prelim final, but with 25 goals for the year he isn't close to the top rung of forwards in the game. If you consider De Goey a "dominant goal square KPF (lol)" - he'd be kicking 70 goals a year if he met that tag. Even your best key defenders outside of Howe are behind quite a few others.
If De Goey can make Rance look like a list clogger I don’t see why not :)

Also recall you guys saying he is a one way runner and thinking it was sour grapes. But as it turned out you were right. Still a great attacking player though

He is defiantly a one way runner. I think notably. So is Dusty. Hes probably the biggest one way runner in the comp.
You can have them in your side if you have the balance. In Sidey, Phillips, Adams, Treloar, Mayne and Pendles I think we are covered.

If De Goey can make Rance look like a list clogger I don’t see why not :)
Well 48 goals isn't a great return if you consider him a dominant key forward, but he's not a key forward imo.
He'll play a lot of midfield over his career, he'll be a Dustin Martin type player that plays mid/half-forward/deep forward to exploit matchups.

This is going to be another trade that neutrals make up the value of. “ Collingwood trades two first round picks!!” Correction - two late first round picks (most likely) with crucial commodities that don’t affect our 2018 draft hand at all coming back with Beams

And Beams isn’t just another midfielder - he’s a top 10-15 midfielder in the game. Our midfield was already elite, now it’s eliter. Absolute no brainer for Collingwood.

How does this not affect your 2018 draft hand?
That's blatantly wrong. Collingwood's first pick was 18, it is now 41.
It significantly effects your 2019 draft hand too (at this point).

Yes you got Beams, but have paid for it through the draft and reduced ability to draft in elite talent this year and next.

Darling isn't a KPF? What a load of rubbish.
Pies supporters must have been at the bar during the 3rd quarter. De Goey doesn't take the contested marks that you need from a KPF to build a forward line around.

While Beams is a good value pick up, they haven't addressed lack of talls and will be hoping that injury prone players (Reid & Moore) can get on the park. Starting the year 2 down with Scharenburg and Dunn coming back from ACLs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back