Rumour Dayne Beams - will he or won't he retire?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I reckon most players have accounts here whether active posters or just watchers. Need to remember most of them prior to being drafted were footy mad plebs like the rest of us.

Shaz Wellingham was talking himself up pre draft.

On the Beams topic, how much are those ikea coffee tables before he sticks the “magpie ink” bullshit on?

Will go down as the frustrating trade OAT, if it worked out who knows what would've happened, a player of that calibre up and rolling makes a massive difference, and i can see why we rolled the dice, i wasn't unhappy after the trade, TBH i was rapt.

One of those things, you win some...

Will go down as the frustrating trade OAT, if it worked out who knows what would've happened, a player of that calibre up and rolling makes a massive difference, and i can see why we rolled the dice, i wasn't unhappy after the trade, TBH i was rapt.

One of those things, you win some...
But you dont' keep paying them for years if they refuse to play. In fact you stop paying them right away.

No it isn't $750k per year. The payout of $750K covers the next two years of his contract in total. So basically we have clawed back $250k. I have heard that this total payment will be incl. in next years cap. So come free agency next year this payment will be gone.

That at least is a small mercy. Freed up north of $1m this trade period and while some of it will go toward Grundy et al, some will become available to chase a FA next trade period.

Does anyone remember if Jonathon Hay was paid out in full - under the cap - in 2007?

He went to the Roos a year earlier with various diagnosed issues that weren’t disclosed to the Kangaroos. He played 2 awful games and wasn’t seen again.

I remember Caroline Wilson reporting that the Roos were trying to renegotiate his 3 year contract after 1 year but Hay and his manager were resisting a pay cut. Next thing you know, Hay retired that same pre-season.

13 years ago now, but I’d say whatever the outcome of that was should be the precedent.

Dunno what sort of settlement the Cats negotiated with Jack Steven but I wish we could do something a little easier, like them.

Dunno what sort of settlement the Cats negotiated with Jack Steven but I wish we could do something a little easier, like them.
With the way our trade period went I’m just happy we’re not paying him out as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By the looks of it he'll still be a listed player next year???

Anyone?

Unlikely will be retired and off the list, most likely probably have to pay him unless where planning on paying him out in full next year.

By the looks of it he'll still be a listed player next year???

Anyone?
My best guess is that we thought going into the trade period, we had come to an arrangement with Beams that the AFL would agree to, in terms of keeping it outside the cap.

Then we found out we got knocked back, and had to go full fire sale on Stephenson and Phillips, to ensure the already agreed-upon Beams payout of allegedly $750k wouldn’t put us over the 2021 cap.

So given the apparently drastic measures we’ve had to go to, to get where we are, my expectation is that for 2021 Beams will be rookie listed to keep $80k of $750k out of the cap.

The gift that keeps giving

To think there’s blokes like John Noble in the state leagues toiling away, and players like Beams completely do clubs over, all while getting top dollar.

The gift that keeps giving

To think there’s blokes like John Noble in the state leagues toiling away, and players like Beams completely do clubs over, all while getting top dollar.
I think we need to stop blaming Beams, would anyone here walk away from 750k....not sure. He has obviously gone off the rails, football not a priority in his battles. What’s done is done he was never walking away from keeping a roof over his family’s head.

I think we need to stop blaming Beams, would anyone here walk away from 750k....not sure. He has obviously gone off the rails, football not a priority in his battles. What’s done is done he was never walking away from keeping a roof over his family’s head.

If you read my post I’m not blaming him, I’m saying it’s madness to think that a guy with obvious issues cost what he did in $ and trade - when there are quality players not getting opportunities.

My best guess is that we thought going into the trade period, we had come to an arrangement with Beams that the AFL would agree to, in terms of keeping it outside the cap.

Then we found out we got knocked back, and had to go full fire sale on Stephenson and Phillips, to ensure the already agreed-upon Beams payout of allegedly $750k wouldn’t put us over the 2021 cap.

So given the apparently drastic measures we’ve had to go to, to get where we are, my expectation is that for 2021 Beams will be rookie listed to keep $80k of $750k out of the cap.

Maybe Eddie is still hanging onto hope he'll make a comeback..

Doesn't mean we have to like or even tolerate him, nor that we should stop wishing he would just somehow drop off our radar and vanish into obscurity. I blame the club, or more specifically, the particular individuals responsible for overlooking all his negative baggage, wasting 2 first round draft picks on him and inflicting his unwanted presence on supporters.

As far as I'm concerned his mental health issues have been caused by his poor lifestyle choices and the club shouldn't be made to pay for them

The counter argument is that the club should have done better due diligence on those poor lifestyle choices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back